Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to be in charge (just venting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to be in charge (just venting)

When I moved to overnights awhile back, I thought it would be a good place to hide out while I learned my job. Alas, it seems that instead of hiding, I'm being pushed way too far out in front.

The problem is that the senior tech on duty is in charge of things. Normally, it isn't an issue for me... since I'm third in line, usually someone else gets the (dis)honor.

Alas, because of a vacation and someone else being, um, indisposed, I'm going to find myself in that position all next week. I've done it before and came out okay, but next week is different... we're planning to implement some major changes in some of our systems and those changes happen overnight. Instead of being theoretically in charge of a department that can run itself, I'll be part of the team that implements those changes. Not a major part, but still a part.

Boss: You'll get to show what you can do.
    Me: I don't want to show what I can do. I just want to be a tech guy, at least for now.
    Boss: You never get anywhere if you don't take the opportunities when they arise.

Sigh. Funny part is, I've often sought out "opportunities" like this... and never got them. Now, when I don't really want one, there it is.

Go figure.
    Last edited by TNT; 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

TNT, if it makes sense, it's not allowed.

Don't worry. I know you'll do fine.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I am a junior in Computer Science. I also work a job as an IT Assistant. When I took the job, I made it known that I was in school, and that came first. I take courses online, so it doesn't really interfere with my work. However, I was really just looking for a "job" that I could go in, dogood, be comfortable with and then go home.

I was not looking for an opportunity to shine, or to prove myself. I was just looking for a job. I have taken some opportunities to learn things that I want to learn. At the same time, I am pressured to learn things I don't want to. It isn't so much a part of the job, it is just one of those "going the extra mile" things that management wants. I can understand if the task is integral to the job, or if it is high level stuff, but it isn't. I am consistently expected to stay late and come in early. Even work on the weekends.

I have only been there four months, but have already started looking for something more inl ine with my career. I don't mind being exposed to new things, going the extra mile and being on the hot seat, as long as I am learning something new, useful and high level. But coming in on the weekend to clean all the spyware off your computer because you can't be bothered during normal working hours, is not a resume builder.

Comment

Quoth Customer Beating Robot View Post
        But coming in on the weekend to clean all the spyware off your computer because you can't be bothered during normal working hours, is not a resume builder.
        Sure it is:

"Willing to do what is necessary to ensure that the computer systems are working properly."

Comment

You can make anything a resume builder.
          Regularly make tea and coffee for co-workers?
          "Committed to team work and helping out co-workers"

Make alot of jokes?
          "Committed to creating an enjoyable working atmosphere"

Go for group smoke breaks?
          "Willing to participate in team-building activities"

etc etc
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
            You can make anything a resume builder.
            Regularly make tea and coffee for co-workers?
            "Committed to team work and helping out co-workers"

Make alot of jokes?
            "Committed to creating an enjoyable working atmosphere"

Go for group smoke breaks?
            "Willing to participate in team-building activities"
            How much do you charge to write up a resume?
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
              And can I pay you after I get a job?

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                Heeeheee my rates would be cheap for you guys as I'm in South Africa, and at the mo it'd cost me R7 to buy $1. so...pretty much nothing hey
                now, if only I could apply the same rules to MY resume *sigh*

Quoth Tria View Post
                And can I pay you after I get a job?
                of course! I'm willing to extend credit to anyone in need. After all, 20% interest of $0.0 is still 0, so no bad debt!

Only problem is, the prospective employer could actually think those comments are, like, for REAL!
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Sientara View Post
                  Sure it is:

"Willing to do what is necessary to ensure that the computer systems are working properly."
                  Depends on what you career goals are. For me, I lean toward the upper end of the tech industry, which is above the "tech support" role. I understand what you are saying, but frankly I wouldn't want a job where going the extra mile to perform some mundane task that any highschool kid could do, is more important than being able to setup a cisco router. "Willing to do what is necessary...." might impress someone hiring for an entry level job.

I plan on being more valuabl than some entry level support guy. Where I plan on being, it would make more sense financially to have some lower paid person do the mundane stuff, and allow me to concentrate on the important things that are worth my salary. (Same relationship I have with my current boss. He gives me all the mundane stuff because his time is more valuable.)

Comment

I spent my two days being in charge and I found out I was wrong. I do want to be in charge. I like it.

All of which means it's unlikely I'll ever be in charge of anything again.
                    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

TNT, it's fun, ain't it?

After I got promoted to manager, I used to do stuff like make piddly little executive decisions ("I think the wool should go over there.") and then joke that I was "drunk with POWAAAAR!", but the truth is that it's pretty nice to be able to do stuff like schedule people so you get to spend time with the people you really get along with, etc.

Although... see my thread about not wanting to be a sucky manager. The downside is that you can't usually stop being in charge when it's not fun anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X