This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview poisons?

OK, aside from the stuff in How Not To Get Hired 101, for some reason I'm wondering if these could be application/group interview/second interview poison?

-Having to give notice to leave old company (unless something happens that makes me actually leave, I'd rather stay until I have another job lined up). My current job requires 3 weeks notice. (and I'd rather not lose out on my annual leave)
    -Mentioning my depression/anxiety (the actual diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder, but out of fear that I get someone who doesn't know what it actually is, I'd rather not get stigmatized)
    -Mentioning I worked for <company>.
    -Giving referees who while I worked with them for a good chunk of my time at both stores, have since moved on to pursue other projects. (one works at another store, one I believe might be quitting)
    -Being known for following the union requirements strictly and busting my managers if they've fucked over.
    -Being unavailable on Thursdays due to the fact that I can ONLY get appointments with the psychologist that day.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Here's my take on it -

Having to give notice to leave old company
    Makes you appear loyal, not the sort who would jump ship quickly.

-Mentioning my depression/anxiety
    Most companies would fire you if you didn't mention this and they found out later, also if they know in adavnce they will make exceptions for you under the DDA laws, such as the Thursday appointments you mention.

-Mentioning I worked for <company>.
    I don't see whynot

-Giving referees who while I worked with them for a good chunk of my time at both stores, have since moved on to pursue other projects.
    Yes, if they knew you well, and can mention your punctuality, attitude towards work and customers, etc

-Being known for following the union requirements strictly and busting my managers if they've fucked over.
    Yes, but you could put it better - eg, I had a keen interest in union matters for the good of fellow employees and managers (after all managers are also employees)
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

The loyalty thing seems to be an issue. Just I've been putting a HEAP of applications out there, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. And everything I've mentioned in those applications has either been what I already had before I got my current job or what I've developed through my current job.

The depression/anxiety thing I'm more worried about as it's just as easy for someone to say that I didn't get the job and say that someone else was better, when their real intentions were not exactly otherwise intended. Overall, the issue doesn't affect me too much.

The Thursday issue is due to the fact that rather than saying "I need this Thursday, then this Thursday" and so on OFF, it was easier to just say that I couldn't work that day at all. It also means that I can schedule other appointments to fit that day without screwing work around too much (work has also had problems with giving me those days/shifts off in the past and they STILL do it now). It's more of a win-win if I don't work that day, rather than them "forgetting" about it (they do it too often for it to be accidental), me getting upset and then getting the dentist/doctor/counsellor whatever worried/angry/stressed by me calling in last minute and saying that I have to reschedule. The positions aren't full-time, they're either part-time or casual.

The union thing I'm a little worried could be used against me. Of the two referees I've put down, one is unaware of the current issues since she's long gone and the other referee was aware of the issues back at old store, but she didn't hate me for reporting them. She didn't encourage it either, it was more like a "well they need a way to do this, this and this, but there are other ways they can do that." I'm more worried about being labelled a troublemaker. Even though the union has a strict policy of confidentiality (most of the time), I had the feeling that my old manager HATED me after that.

Comment

I guess the only thing you could do is to contact uour referees and ask how they feel about writing you a reference, and if there si anything negative they would feel obliged to write?

As for the wondering if you don't get an interview because of the mental health issues, unfortunatley it doesn't have much to do with it, in this economy there are a lot of people chasing every job, so if you don't get an interview it isn't necessarily for that reason.You could, I guess, not write it on the application form, then when you get an interview, bring it up, and state that you wanted them to see you before discussing your mental health issues.

Comment

It is obvious that the employment laws vary from Australia/UK and the US. I would assume that Australia and the UK are similar, but I would still verify.

If three weeks notice is common, a new employer would understand that. Also, unless I was in urgent need, I would rather hire someone who is employed over someone who quit their last job. Shows character.

You need to verify local law on the disclosure of your medical conditions. In the US, employers are restricted on what they can ask.

New employers want your work history. You need to tell them. If you are applying to the competition, tell them that you have "raised your standards."

It is also not uncommon to say "Don't contact my current employer as I do not want them to know I am looking." That would also explain why there are no current coworkers in your references. Make sure you have current contact information and make sure you know what they will say.

I am not sure how the Union issues would come up in an interview. Would the new employer contact the Union to get a list of grievances you filed? However, if asked, state the facts, just like you would like to see a well formed customer complaint. If the union found in your favor on these issues, you have nothing to worry about.

You are a student applying for part time work. It is not unreasonable to say that you are not available on these days and times. If you are required to disclose your medical condition, saying that you have your doctor appointment shows that you are dealing with your condition and not ignoring it. However, if they are looking to fill a Thursday slot...

Keep trying. It is all you can do.

Good luck!
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post

It is also not uncommon to say "Don't contact my current employer as I do not want them to know I am looking." That would also explain why there are no current coworkers in your references. Make sure you have current contact information and make sure you know what they will say.

You are a student applying for part time work. It is not unreasonable to say that you are not available on these days and times. If you are required to disclose your medical condition, saying that you have your doctor appointment shows that you are dealing with your condition and not ignoring it. However, if they are looking to fill a Thursday slot...
            It would be Thursday during the day they're after, however trading laws in my state allow shops to be opened late on Thursday night (outer metropolitan area) or Friday (city centre). I can do Thursday night but I can't do Thursday during the day.

As for discrimination laws, they can't discriminate based on age, sex, sexuality, marital status, illness, pregnancy and so forth. The ONLY time they're allowed to discriminate based on illness/disability is if the workplace in question is unable to make reasonable accomodations to the staff member (reasons include loss of client or staff, financial hardship etc.).

The economic situation in Australia is a little bit different compared to the US, we managed to mostly avoid a recession and we're mostly recovered.

I'm now trying to get a position away from the front end so while I'm still interacting with customers, it's not constantly in my face and I can get away from it if I have to (i.e. unloading a truck, preparing more bananas etc.).

Comment

I would never tell a prospective employer I was mentally ill. Its none of their business and gives them the opportunity to put your application in the "no" pile. Most people consider the depressed to just be lazy whiners, not people with legitimate illness. Its also hard to find an employer who would willingly "deal" with it.

My illness very rarely has any bearing on my job. If I need to call out, thats what "sick days" are for. If they need a note, then they get a note from my psychiatrist. If they ask for further explanation, they get a resounding "no."
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

On the illness thing, ive seen it both ways.

As someone who was recently diagnosed wit ha few things, one being a tennis ball sized ulcer on my leg that hasn't healed for over a year (surgery pending) plus crohns disease (doesnt seem to be a major case though) i have recently dealt with this. So far, at my new job i havent seen any need to tell them about any of my conditions, the leg thing is caused by veins, and all the crawling around on steel does hurt like hell when im done my shift, but i dont slow down while im there, and the crohns..well ill deal wit hthose symptoms as they come up.

Now on the flip side of the coin, there was a guy who was hires at the same time as me, who is prone to seizures. With our shifts alternating every 2 weeks it ended up taxing his body and he seized in the break room. Now heres the issue....if he hadnt been 5 minutes late leaving to start his shift, his seizure would have happened on top of a 8" wide beam inside a tank that was 20 feet off the ground. Even if his harness caught him, we wouldnt be able to get a seizing person out in time.

So i would say if your illness interferes with aspects of you work, you could probably get your psychologist to write a note, explaining the condition in better terms, as in to say "It COULD affect X portion of job, but not likely". Then at least theyre informed.

If your illness NEVER interferes with work, then i would say dont mention it and deal with it as it comes up.

As far as the rest goes, it never hurts to mention who you work for, unless they are connected in some way.

As for the notice, i have NEVER had an interview where i said "I would like the opportunity to give my current employer my proper notice" and had the person interviewing me take it as a bad thing. In fact, there have been several instances where it was "Well, we wouldnt hire you if you didnt"

Comment

Then at least theyre informed.
                  The problem with this is mental illness is taken drastically different than physical illness. No one has ever said "That guy has epilepsy you better be careful he might snap and kill us all!!!!" However, you do hear that quite a bit about Bi Polar Disorder. There was a girl in my human services class (the class you take you can be better prepared to work in the mental health field) said all bi polar people should not work near sharp objects because they could "snap."

"Borderline personality" sounds scary and to a laymen sounds a lot like "multiple personality."

Physical ailments don't get the stigma that mental ailments do. If it must be brought up, do it after your 90 day probation period is over.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                    The problem with this is mental illness is taken drastically different than physical illness. No one has ever said "That guy has epilepsy you better be careful he might snap and kill us all!!!!" However, you do hear that quite a bit about Bi Polar Disorder. There was a girl in my human services class (the class you take you can be better prepared to work in the mental health field) said all bi polar people should not work near sharp objects because they could "snap." .
                    This is a myth.I work with a couple of people who are really psychotic (diagnosed) and bipolar, and who take all kinds of tablets to make it undercontrol.

The worse I have seen from them is one who said to me once "please don't take this the wrong way but I am unstable right now and may say things which don't make sense", they were taken away from customer contact untill that passed.

Another when in the "downward" swing would be unapproachable, although usually very chatty. The same one on an "upward" swing would spend all his money and then have nothing to eat, so it was always a good idea to buy him sandwiches and things at that time.But I never saw any signs of being about to stab someone.If anything they caused harm to themself rather than other people.I have no problems with not talking to them if they want to be left alone, or if they are down, or whatever, and that is how we work together.

Also they knew exactly what was happening to them at any given time, although powerless to resist the overspending, or the "saying whatever came into their head" and so "snapping" was unlikely.

Comment

The problem with bi polar and psychosis is that they are unpredictable.

I mean from personal experience, my sons mom is bi polar, and she used to beat the CRAP out of me every time she got pissed off at any one little thing, and no i dont believe for one minute she can raise a child, drive, or work around people.

However, i have met bi polar people who are quite mellow, and even their "episodes" are nothing to worry about.

I would suggest a letter from any therapist you might be working with if your conditions can affect your work. That way the scope of your issue can be properly addressed.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                        The problem with bi polar and psychosis is that they are unpredictable.
                        Its very interesting that you lump bi polar with psychosis. Then go on to say not everyone with the disorder is as extreme as the one person you knew who had bi polar disorder. Its almost like there are.. different grades of disorder and that one person might not react the same way as another.. almost like.. you shouldnt have to disclose you have a disorder just because someone else, somewhere else, did something bad.

LOL sorry, my psychosis is showing.

This is a myth.I work with a couple of people who are really psychotic (diagnosed) and bipolar, and who take all kinds of tablets to make it undercontrol.
                        yeah that was my point. and psychotic what. Psychotic is not an illness, its a state.
                        Last edited by Whiskey; 09-26-2010, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Lol sorry im no professional. I mean no offense to people with disorders, but honestly to be condescending like that....youre not trying to educate, in fact i have no idea what that was intended to accomplish. Thats what is interesting to me.

And let that show you, i dont have a LOT of experience with these things, though i know if the person next to me has the POTENTIAL to be a ticking time bomb (again POTENTIAL, dont get your panties twisted) then i should be informed.

If someone working with me has a disorder that could make them lose focus of their job, and potentially injure me, then i should be informed. Perhaps not the individual worker, but management should be. In many lines of work, especially the one im in, a lack of judgment or a loss of focus could cause someone injury, dismemberment or even kill them.

I dont believe i should be allowed to be a fire fighter with my leg the way it is, and likewise, i dont believe people with mental disorders that can affect performance should be allowed to do those jobs.

Comment

I'm about to blow your mind.

Not everyone with a mental disorder, even bi polar disorder, has the "potential to injure." And not everyone WITHOUT a mental disorder DOESN'T lack the "potential to injure"

In fact, the most lethal people are undiagnosed or sociopathic. Sociopaths are incredibly hard to find or diagnose because they have the astute ability to mimic normal human emotion and behaviors! Until they decide to ruthlessly and brutally murder you! I would really worry more about the people who seem charming and charismatic.

What you said is incredibly offensive and its the exact reason why I recommend not saying anything because your thought process is COMMON.

Bi polar is not in the same class as a psychotic episode, but like you displayed, most people don't know that. Theyre more than willing to assume it is because they don't understand mental illness.

You proved my point.
                            Last edited by Whiskey; 09-26-2010, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                              I'm about to blow your mind.

Not everyone with a mental disorder, even bi polar disorder, has the "potential to injure." And not everyone WITHOUT a mental disorder DOESN'T lack the "potential to injure"

In fact, the most lethal people are undiagnosed or sociopathic. Sociopaths are incredibly hard to find or diagnose because they have the astute ability to mimic normal human emotion and behaviors! Until they decide to ruthlessly and brutally murder you! I would really worry more about the people who seem charming and charismatic.

What you said is incredibly offensive and its the exact reason why I recommend not saying anything because your thought process is COMMON.

Bi polar is not in the same class as a psychotic episode, but like you displayed, most people don't know that. Theyre more than willing to assume it is because they don't understand mental illness.

You proved my point.
                              I dunno man, maybe you should re read what i wrote, i dont think you understood most of it, let me go into more specific experiences ive had so you can see im not "anti mental illness" or something.

Yes. My thought process is common. Thats why i suggested getting a written letter form a therapist as to the EXTENT of the illness.

Illnesses like bi polar disorder has ranges from "Fairly mellow" to "can explode at a pindrop" I have experienced both cases. One of which i would work with in a heart beat, and another caused $100,000 worth of damage at a saw mill due to her snapping and throwing shit into a machine.

Im about to blow your mind: Youre not that special, there are thousands upon thousands of people with mental illness, a lot of them inform managers about them.

When i was hiring i would ALWAYS ask "Is there anything going on health wise that could possibly affect your job in the future?" I had one worker who was prone to depression, so i gave him extra time off to meet his appointments, and when his episodes hit, he got my private number to call, and i would personally inform the plant manager he needed the time off. Of course i asked for a letter from a therapist.

I had one lady who had an anxiety disorder when it came to being rushed at work. I could not hire her as i needed someone who can handle stress.

I had one other person who was bi polar (previously mentioned case) who went from completely mellow, to slightly irritated, no biggie, he would tell me when he was getting irrational, i would place him at a job where he worked alone and all was well. His work was bang on and to this day i am on his resume as a reference.

See? What if i would have hired the woman to do the job, she got rushed, freaked out, and either quit, or i would have fired her.

The depressed dude....if he didnt inform me of it, and missed a bunch of work due to it, i would have fired him.

And the bi polar guy would have made many enemies at work, and had instances that would have resulted in a write up had i not been able to properly place him away from co workers on a bad day.

Comment

Working...
                              X