X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, enough is enough

Sorry a bit of a rant about today.

I just had to tell someone that I would not work through my break, I'm tired, exhausted and worn out, not to mention that I'm feeling weak from lack of energy and could really do with food before I pass out.

I don't care if all the admin girls are on diets, or how tempting it is, i'm eating my food now as if i don't i won't be able to last the rest of the day due to my fast metabolism.

I've spent the entire day clearing out, hefting heavy things up and down to the new office and I deserve every second of this 15 minute unpaid break, so no I won't "put up and install the new blinds, it'll only take a minute", you can ask the workmen you've got in whose job it is to do it, who have the correct tools and ladders etc to do it.

i don't mind doing the odd thing that isn't in my job description as its generally expected that we all pitch in when other depts need help. I also normally don't mind working through the odd break or two as I'll generally get time later on in the day to take a break then, but i'm so far behind on my own work today that they can go and sit on it.

My break, my food, my free time!

argh, just needed to rant
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Yeah! Take care of your health and your work-- not theirs! they can go sit on a flag pole!
    I hope the food at least was delicious. You should get your favorite fried goodness and waft it in their faces. Make sure you eat some greenery too tho.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I don't know if you're a union member, but I'll still tell you what I always tell my co-workers: ALWAYS take your break. Always, always, always.

No matter what your job is, you need time away from it. It's not healthy to work a full day without one. The harder you work, the more you have to do, the more you need that time away. I understand that emergencies come up, but honestly, putting up blinds is not an emergency. And doing someone else's work, when they are there and are better equipped with the proper supplies? You know what'll happen if you do that once, right? Yep...you'll end up doing their work again and again.

I'm glad you insisted on your break.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
      X