This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad for them; good for meee.

I was going to post this in COC, but theres no cursing out. Move as appropriate.

So five people, including myself, were hired into the library when it came time. Three stayed at <gigantic branch> while me and kid went to <smaller, fairly new branch>. The kid has taken a shining to me and all my ~worldly knowledge~ about life and stuff. Basically, this is his first job. He told our sup, Izzie, that he didn't get a paycheck. She asked if I got mine, I kind of facepalmed and said I did and would go see what his deal was. Turns out, he didn't know how to pick up a paycheck. How qt. I told him where to go to get his check and assured him it was there and that he'd have to go there every time to get his check since he wasn't getting direct deposit. So now I'm the queen of his world.

Anyways, we chat a bit at work and he asks if he can ask me for some advice. Most people regret asking for my advice, but sure, shoot. Turns out he's transferring to UC Berkeley this spring, which means he'd have to leave the city towards the end of December. So he's quitting 2 months into the job. He knew beforehand when he was leaving, he just didnt tell them. He wants to know how much notice to give. I tell him a month if he wants to be super nice, but really all they require is 2 weeks standard.

Heres the good part. Where are all those hours going to go? Granted, some of them overlap with my current shifts, but if I could pick up the 2 Saturdays I don't work right now, that would make a tremendous difference that I'm not going to go into here due to possible fratch. Lets just say it would pull down a lot of barriers I'm dealing with. They'll have to hire someone else, but I'm super hoping they give me at least those 2 days, if not more.

Oh, and he has to take one of his Saturday's off to go to orientation in Berkeley. I told him I'd cover it for him and this exchange happened. I almost died of laughter.

Me: When you tell Izzie you need the day off, tell her I'll pick it up for you.
    Kid: Really?!?
    Me: Yeah.
    Kid: But thats like... 3 Saturday's in a row!!
    Me: Hon, you forget I live by myself.
    Kid: Oh.. thats right.
    Me: I was working 100 hours a week for a number of months, 3 Saturday's in a row doesn't bother me.
    Kid: O_O 100 hours?!? I can barely stand doing an 8 hour shift!

The head librarian already said she asked me first and foremost if I wanted the hours on the 19th, so I'm thinking theres a really good chance I could get them to give me the Saturday's. It'd blow having split days off, but I've dealt with worse.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Yay for you, I'm in a similar situation, and I'm getting the retiree's hours. So, I can relate.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

WOW!! 100 hours! I couldn't handle that. props to you, girl :P
      Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Working...
      X