Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get racial insults tossed at you that are not your race?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael and Patrick were and still are, very popular traditional first names in ireland (saints' names, y'see?). Mick and Pat are the stereotypical Irishmen in jokes, and to be honest, among Irish men of a certain age, Mick or Micko, and Pat ARE the most common names.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

I get called "N****r" a lot, and I am one of the whitest people I know.

The best one was a group of three people (all white) looking for Final Fantasy XII. They asked how much it was, and I told them the price... $49.99... exactly the same as everywhere else... and I get "Damn, you N***** charge a LOT fo yo games!" and the left.

I'm still kind of confused over that one.

Comment

I think they were aping rappers; there are a worrying amount of white kids speaking ebonics where I live.

I've been called a "white bitch" by a black girl who barged into me; while technically correct, it's a bit off seeing as I didn't do anything to her, and if I'd called her a "black bitch" she probably would have been really angry, and so would everyone around us. Plus there was that time at the pizza place when this black woman called my collegue "honky". I didn't know then what that means, and neither did he, so it lost some fire. I still don't know.

As for off race insults, I've been called a "Patty" before; I'm not Irish. I've also had someone say sarcastically after I spoke "Oh la-di-da, posho!" Er, I am not posh, I'm middle class and proud!
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Wop means "With Out Papers."
          While this is probably very true it has, at some point, become a derogatory term for those of Italian heritage.

I would never even dream of trying to guess someone's heritage by looking at them. I'd say that it's fairly impossible. My hubby, for example, is a white guy with medium brown hair and blue eyes. You'd never guess he's 3/4 Apache Indian just by looking at him.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Been called a "lezzie" plenty of times. Not only am I straight, but it does not bother me to be mistaken for a lesbian. I don't consider "gay" or any connectation of it an insult. So insult away. And no, I am not mannish (okay, some of my habits are mannish, but overall, no. ). It's just that sometimes, that's the worse thing a stupid person can think of to call someone.
            Verging but for some reason my best girlfriend and I got called this ALL through high school, and we could never figure it out. We weren't physically affectionate toward each other, and neither one of us had a stereotypical "lesbian" appearance. The only thing we could think of was that for all of high school we not only hung around together a lot, but got along really well and didn't participate in the typical girly backstabbing and fighting. I guess "gets along well" = "homosexual" to some.

Years after graduation, I still had at least one person telling me he was surprised I'd gotten married (my best friend got married too, btw) because he thought I was "that way."

People. They gotta have something to talk about.
            He loves the world...except for all the people.
            --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              one of those head-covering things muslim women wear (dunno the name, sorry)
              A burqa? Oh, no, that's the full body one...
              According to ask.com, the headwear is called a Hijaab.

And, you know, Islamic though I am not, it has seemed like an interesting garment to wear out and about at times. No disrespect meant to Islam. I'm just... strange (if you hadn't already figured that out...)
              Last edited by Imogene; 01-19-2007, 02:40 PM. Reason: Stupid space bar
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

LOL somehow I get mistaken for Mexican a lot. My maiden name didn't really point to any particular country, and I'd heard guesses ranging from German to every flavor of Eastern European, with German being correct...but once I got married and had a name that sounded more Hispanic, I've been called every name under the sun by white folks thinking I'm one of our less than legal friends from the south, as well as soundly cussed by Spanish speakers for not speaking Spanish.

The irony of course is that I'm your typical fat white girl...darkish hair, but blue-green eyes, and skin so pale it's nearly translucent. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that I'm anything other than Euromutt. Even more ironic is that my "Hispanic sounding" married name is Romanian or Hungarian in origin. :-)
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  I actually want to get one of the full-face ones for winter. It goes down to -40 and below where I live, and damn if that doesn't sting on the face! Balaclavas have never wanted to stay in place for me, and there's nothing worse than having soggy yarn freeze to your face. At least a hijaab gives you a bit of breathing room (besides, my ex-husband told me I looked sexy when I had to wear one of the head-part only ones for a play I was in).
                  Last edited by NightAngel; 01-19-2007, 04:37 PM. Reason: no need to quote entire post
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    At least a hijaab gives you a bit of breathing room (besides, my ex-husband told me I looked sexy when I had to wear one of the head-part only ones for a play I was in).
                    Any idea where to get one?
                    /looking for leads
                    //Really doesn't want to make one by hand, but that'd be the most likely way to get one in pink...
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I've never had racist comments toward me, but I think this is most likely because no one can tell where I'm from. I have brown hair, DARK brown eyes, and pasty pale white skin. I've been asked if I am Canadian, and people occasionally think I am Asian or Hispanic. As it happens, I am mostly German and English, with enough Native American in me to have dark eyes, which looks sort of freaky with my pale skin. I guess it's kind of good to be a mutt if no one can make racist comments at you.

...actually, I am sort of surprised and amazed that in 8 years in fast food and almost 2 in retail that no one has said anything like that to me. Most of the rudeness aimed at me tends to be "Go to school and get a REAL job." Ok buddy, shut your piehole, I have a degree thankyouverymuchokbyebye.

Comment

I've been call a stupid n-word by a crazy hispanic homeless guy before. I've been called a dirty jew, nazi, hitler and various other derogatory names. It surprizes me to no end because i am fairly white. I have german heritage but that doesn't make me a nazi or a jew. I just laugh at idiots who use racist terms. I watch south park and drawn together. I can come up with better ones if I really wanted to.
                        A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
                        Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My maiden name is spanish sounding, so I was called a wetback and spic a lot by pissed off customers on the phone. Back when my hair was black, I looked like I was a little asian girl (I have slanted eyes, but you can tell Im not asian if you get close up) and people would call me "chinky" all the time.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            Any idea where to get one?
                            /looking for leads
                            //Really doesn't want to make one by hand, but that'd be the most likely way to get one in pink...
                            sadly no and I no longer have the phone number of the muslim babysitter that I used to hire when we lived in Ontario. *sigh* Let's just say that where I live now, they're a rare sight.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              I actually own one- the whole outfit from head to toe. My Aunt was stationed in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm and brought me one home. I have worn it on rare occasion for the novelty of it and it isn't really that uncomfortable. It's not wonderful but I'd rather wear it than say a corset.

It is not something I'd want to wear every day though. I'd get annoyed with having my face covered all the time and do you know how hard it is to keep your hair from straying out into sight?
                              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                              HellGate: London

Comment

I just got called a dirty honkey and a nazi kraut on myspace a few minutes ago because I rejected a guy's pickup line. No, it wasn't because he was Native American, it's because I find random pick-up lines on myspace very....creepy. I'm sorry some people just cannot handle rejection. Amazing how "damn baby u's fine holla at me!" will quickly transition into "You dirty honkey, stupid nazi kraut, go join the KKK with all your other hitler friends...white power!" as soon as you say "Sorry, not interested". Hmm?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black......(I hope Omarossa isn't around right now to see this).

Yes, just because I have two german flags on my myspace, I salute Hitler every day and on the weekends, I don my white hood and go by the name "Imperial Wizard Blasphemy"............

Sorry, that really upsets me. Not being called a honkey, that just makes me laugh. Not being called a kraut, that just makes me laugh harder. Not being called a hitler hailer, that just makes me roll my eyes........but the whole irony in the situation itself.
                                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                                X