This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's off for the holiday?

Today's the Martin Luther King Birthday holiday in the states. To be honest, I didn't know until Friday that it's a "major" holiday at the cable company. That is, the offices and stores are closed, no installations, etc. The call center is on holiday staffing levels and those who work get double time and a half.

Just to be clear, putting "major" in quotes isn't meant to disparage the holiday itself... for business purposes, we have 7 major holidays and 3 holidays where it's pretty much business as usual (although we do get a paid day off we can take whenever we want as opposed to taking off that particular day).

This is only the second place where I've worked that has the day off today.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

My colleagues in the US are all on holiday today. I, however, am not....
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

I work at an elementary school. The entire school district is closed. The grocery store is open, but I'm not available on Mondays because of school, so I have the day off
      Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

I am a bookkeeper at a CPA firm. We have no days off until April 17th this year, holiday or no holiday

Comment

We are a union shop so our next day off is.......04 July.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I am, but only because I have been having Mondays off.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

No day off of work for me either! We have a truck tonight, and neither cold nor snow nor pouring rain shall prevent the truck driver from delivering the merchandise we so desparately don't want...

The public schools in my town don't get MLK day off either.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I took today as a floating holiday.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I ended up doing eleven hours and then curling up in front of my computer when I got home. Today saw the return of Emo Boy, the interest in him of someone who realised in horror that she's almost old enough to be his mother legally, my informing him of this and his 'booty dance of celebration', a suggestion not to say 'rawr' over the phone to a buyer as it disturbs her, a missing pallet of yoghurt that was supposed to be sent and never arrived, several discontinued lines that shouldn't have been, the arrival of said pallet of yoghurt as I was about to go home and therefore felt obliged to deal with, the rushed cancellation of the second pallet of (replacement) yoghurt as it was about to be loaded onto a haulier, the suggestion of Emo Boy that I ought to try and bag off with a heavy smoker, the commentary of Emo Boy and his fellows after I'd trained a new girl in the art of picking in the fridge about how I was working my 'moves' on her, and my unprintable answer that left them stunned for a while.

We don't have MLK day over here. I don't officially work on Mondays save as voluntary extras. I suppose it was interesting.

Rapscallion

Comment

I had it off, for no particular reason. Schedule worked out that late.

Oo, wait, I think it's because the scheduling manager has it in her head that I like nights for some reason, and this is the night of the one lady who only works one shift a week at my store. Right.

Comment

I am off today but only because my new boss didn't want me to see her doing payroll. She said it would scare me away!! LOL

So, I start my new job tomorrow. Happy Dance Happy Dance
                      "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                      "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

I wasn't off today, rather I worked an evening shift (I've been getting almost consistent 8-4s lately, this 2-10 shift is weird, especially coming back at 8). The local public schools were in session as usual and the trains were running on normal weekday schedules. Also not a paid holiday, as we rarely close the store even on holidays (just Christmas day, Easter, and half of Thanksgiving) and we only get six paid holidays (next one is Memorial Day).

My mom and sister (both bank employees--same bank different departments) were off today with pay, and I don't think there was mail delivery either. Thankfully the snowplow drivers will work no matter what day it is.
                        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                        "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                        My MySpace
                        My LiveJournal

Comment

We don't even close for christmas, much less MLK day.

Interestingly enough the college I went to didn't take it off either.

Comment

Well, I was off, but that was because I took the day off, it being my birthday.
                            He loves the world...except for all the people.
                            --Men at Work

Comment

I pulled a 14 hour shift that night. Since the place I work for is the Martin Luther King Shelter, it was a holiday for me too. I got 8 hours overtime.
                              A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
                              Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                              X