Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, that's a new record... (long, bring water)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that's a new record... (long, bring water)

Okay, so, having made the move to Texas, I was jobless for a few months.

I spammed apps whenever I could.

Two weeks ago, I spent with a friend in his apartment. One day, it was me and the friend's roommate sitting in his living room, playing video games and doing some cleaning. No biggie for the freedom to stick around his apartment for five day stretches. One of the friend's other friends just shows up prior to lunch, wanting to talk with friend and friend's ex mate, cause he'd gotten a summons for jury duty from the wrong county (or so he said). Friend and his ex were at work, though. And I realized, this friend of a friend worked somewhere I had a filled out application for, so I asked if he could deliver it for me, as I had not the transportation to get there. He did, and left to get his schedule from that store.
    I spent another hour or so cleaning, played on the comp a bit, and went to grab a shower. About half-way through, I swear I hear voices in the living room. I figure it was just friend 1, come home for lunch with his new roommate. I finbish my shower, and pop my head out to grab my clothes. Nope, it was friend of a friend, who told me to dress quickly, as I had an interview. So I do, he drives me there, introduces me to his boss, I have a five minute interview, and am told I can have the job if I want it, but the hours go to students of the school the store is nestled in. I say okay, as I live outside that town anyway.
    I get home, fill out a few more apps, and return to the parents' house, which is where I'm staying, currently. Drop off those apps Thursday, when Mom is home and can drive me around (I have no car). Two days later, I get a call from Firehouse Subs, to come in 10 to 3 Monday (yesterday, Martin Luther King Day). So, I came in, worked my shift as best I could, and was warned at the beginning that the first week is really a trial week to see if I like the job, and that I was the first hire for the manager who hired me.
    Halfway through the shift, I realise that I really didn't like the job, as I'd expected to be a cashier mostly. Not a bun cutter.
    Sometime during my shift, the manager who hired me noticed my left hand (stroke results, yadda yadda). Asks me about the stroke, so I tell her. It's no longer a big deal to me anyway.
    I suppose I should point out that, by one, the store was fairly dead (holiday, plus it's freaking cold out, in Texas. Of course no one's coming in). I ask about a break, cause I'd been there three hours, and hadn't eaten in longer. I get told seeing as I'm not in the system yet, I don't need to clock out, and we're to make our own sandwiches when we go on break. Half off the price of our sandwich, free drink. Personally, that sounded rather pathetic for an employee discount.
    Anyway, right after I return from my break, the manager asks if I can get my ride to come pick me up, cause we had six people walking around behind the counter at that point, and probably five people in the dining area. It's dead, she knows it. So I call my ride.

This morning, about twenty minutes before my shift was to start, I get a call from them, saying, basically, it's not going to work out, but I have a great personality, and she'd been hoping to find another geek to work with (Hell, she told me flat out that she was a geek). But she'd pay me in cash for the five hours I worked, at minimum wage, and asked me to return the shirt.

Seeing as mom & I were almost ready to go anyway, we went ahead and stopped there during our errands this morning, dropped off the shirt and hat, got me paid, and left. Mom was confused that I wasn't angry at them.
    Also, as I'd already resoplved myself to doing more app spamming before I'd taken my lunch yesterday, I didn't really care.
    "I call murder on that!"

Well, if you both know right away it's not going to work, you're better off getting out sooner. Or something like that.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Well I am glad, you got away, if they are going to be like that.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Ahhh well. At least they didn't put you on into thinking there was actually a future in you working there.

Comment

Working...
        X