This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or did this suck?

Since the middle of November I've been beating my head against a variety of walls trying to get our financial reports ship-shape and ready to go. The latest debacle involved my wasting several days this past week trying to fix an error that turned out not to be an error after all. It also needs to be noted that I have no financial acumen whatsoever and no head for accounting beyond balancing my checkbook. To top it all off, I work with our hired-gun CPA, whose aftershave makes me nauseous. So, as you can imagine, my frustration level with this has been somewhat high.

Well, today the CPA was here, and we were again performing the numerical alchemy needed for this report to be correct. In the middle of all of this, we had several frustrating phone calls and one e-mail in which we tried to get a simple question answered and kept running into roadblocks. Frustrated, I said something like "This is insane! It's a simple question!"

At this, my boss - a man who apparently believes nothing short of imminent planetary destruction is worth being even mildly distressed over - spews forth this gem:

"Calm down, Puck. You need some Prozac. We'll just feed you that every time you do the reports."

So this is what I get for 3 months of trying to get this report fixed? This is what I've been working my butt off for - a snide remark like that? Should I be like my co-worker and share every intimate detail of my psychological traumas (medication included) with Bossman so that we can avoid any of this crap in future?

Is it just me or did this suck?
    Not all who wander are lost.

At this, my boss - a man who apparently believes nothing short of imminent planetary destruction is worth being even mildly distressed over - spews forth this gem:

"Calm down, Puck. You need some Prozac. We'll just feed you that every time you do the reports."
    Your boss should never and I mean ever joke about something like that. His filter is obviously on the fritz and the only suitable thing for him is the salmon.

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
    So this is what I get for 3 months of trying to get this report fixed? This is what I've been working my butt off for - a snide remark like that? Should I be like my co-worker and share every intimate detail of my psychological traumas (medication included) with Bossman so that we can avoid any of this crap in future?

Is it just me or did this suck?
    Puck, there will always be idiots who will never appreciate the hard work one does and you're in that situation. As for co-irkers sharing every intimate detail, come on does anyone have any shred of dignity left? I hope things get better for you.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Ummm...that is at least a couple kinds of suck right there.

Getting your financial reports done corectly is pretty important, especially after Enron's book cookage. If you took on the "don't worry be happy" attitude and something ended up wrong and got your company in trouble, I think your boss would be the one needing the prozac.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I second that. The IRS is *not* an agency you want to mess with. They have a well-deserved reputation for going after people...usually with severe consequences. Since Enron, they've been rather strict.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well, you are the one who was there, who knows your boss best and who does the work...but in my firm, people say things like this to each other all the time. We tease each other about needing Prozac, committal, about terminal incompetence - if you were new to the firm, you'd probably be horrified at the unprofessional and abusive work environment, but actually we are a good team and we know when others are joking.

In the absence of any additional information, I'd say it just sounds like a badly-timed and badly-judged joke.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post

What was he thinking? Valium is more fitting. <ducks>

Seriously, he was probably just trying to get a laugh out of you and it went the wrong way. I would probably have the same reaction, simply because he doesn't know the amount of stress that this situation provides.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

An update: With the CPA at my hip like a Siamese twin, the report was finished and submitted last Tuesday. All was well until Friday morning...when we received a 3-page letter detailing the errors that need to be fixed within 10 business days. And the boss wants it all done before our annual audit begins this Thursday. And it's 8:15 Monday morning, with no word from the CPA.

Best part of all: Boss walks by my desk this morning and says:

"So, Puck, we're clear on this report, right? Everything's good?"

It took me a good couple of seconds to compose myself enough to say, "You mean the report with the 3 pages of errors you found out about on Friday? The one I'm waiting on the CPA's call back to see when we can re-do?"

Yes, ladles and gerbils...he forgot (despite the fact that the letter detailing the errors was e-mailed directly to him, and he passed it all along to me Friday morning).

He did thank me for the reminder, however, so I'm withrawing my nomination of him for Dumbarse Boss of the Century.
              Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Oh man your boss is just.....man! Cant find any words to describe him lol
                *gives Puck a superhug* for putting up with that kind of.......well......whatever word we find to describe him
                "I want to be a mongoose. Can I be a mongoose dog?"

Comment

So does your boss have a "sculpture" on his desk that looks oddly like a bong? Sounds like he's been hitting the happy grass (and aparently not sharing).
                  "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                  "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                  My MySpace
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Us bean counters need to unite and get a special thwacking stick. Frozen salmons are nice but get kinda icky when thawed.

The calculator of doom, the stapler of doom, the keyboard of doom...none sound quite right.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                      Us bean counters need to unite and get a special thwacking stick. Frozen salmons are nice but get kinda icky when thawed.

The calculator of doom, the stapler of doom, the keyboard of doom...none sound quite right.
                      I use Clue-by-Fours over on the model car site. These are specially crafted from 4x4 wooden posts...and are great for beating some dumbass upside the head
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X