This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An e-mail from a Wish Mom

This last Saturday was a very inspirational night for 9 year-old Ava Murphy and her family. Ava was adopted 1 year ago from Ethiopia and is currently undergoing treatment for a life threatening autoimmune disease. She and her sister Grace (also 9) were hosted by the University of Washington women’s basketball team as part of the Lucky Dawg program. Ava’s mother Christall put together a beautiful email describing the impact that Ava’s night as the Lucky Dawg meant to her family.

-----------------------------------
    Donna,

I think I've started writing this a dozen times already...

I can't thank you, and everyone else involved, enough for last night.

When you came back over to the bench after the girls were announced - you were right... I was a crying mess (thankfully it didn't escalate into *that* ugly cry... I've learned to control myself a little bit) and you were also right about why - seeing THAT - it's all about hope.

A year ago (14 months to be exact) Ava was a 40 lb little girl who was actively dying - there was no question - when we were together in Ethiopia, on the flight home, when we went from Sea-tac right into the hospital - she was dying... There wasn't a whole lot of hope...

And last night I got to see her on the court with a group of girls who were loving her DESPITE her diagnosis, Seriously loving on her...

I know Make-a-wish is about the hope... and I know that each of the families involved has a different story... but I think in Ava's case it is SO much more.

In Ethiopia she was shunned from her village - her life was AWFUL - and she knew that there was NO hope of growing up. She knew she would have no friends, no love, no chance... Life in Ethiopia for a child with a life threatening medical condition is devastating (to say the least). Because she had spent 8 years seeing what life is like for a sick child in Ethiopia - she has had a VERY difficult time believing that it can be any different here.

Having our amazing wish coordinators (one of them being a much loved teacher of both myself and Jason during middle and high school!!!) come and dream with her - color with her - laugh with her... We told Ava that they *knew* about her being sick and she really expected them to come to the house and ignore her... So when they came with gifts and love and fun FOR HER (and Grace)... she couldn't believe it...

Then last night... Those girls were the "big kids" that Ava begs to play with every time we drive past the game fields on the way to the hospital... Not only was she playing with the big kids - they WANTED to be with her... She was included and embraced and treated like any other kid. That's something she NEVER believed would happen.

On the drive home last night we stopped to eat and Ava said, "Mommy, when I go to college I want to play Volleyball like Amanda."

Jason and I were speechless...

For a year we've been telling Ava that in the United States ALL girls CAN go to college - whether they are sick or not... but for a year it has just been us telling her... She hasn't ever believed that she could go to college - that she'd be allowed to go to college... When someone asks her what she wants to be when she grows up she usually replies, "I'm not going to grow up." Most people think that's cute - thinking that she means she doesn't want to grow up/she wants to stay a kid... but really, it's because she doesn't believe she will LIVE to grow up. So last night when she, for the first time, could picture herself going to college - well, it wasn't just me who got a little teary-eyed.

The experiences we've had with make-a-wish have truly changed her life. Jason and I can love her and tell her that the world is wide open to her now that she's here - but not until she experienced it herself in the form of these amazing little treats (lucky dawg for example) has she believed it.

I also want to thank everyone for letting Grace participate. I'm so proud of the kid she has become over the last year. Going from an only child who had my undivided attention pretty much all the time - to being a sister and having to share everything - and not only being a sister - but the sister of a kid with a chronic, serious illness... she's kind of been through the wringer herself... and then having to watch Ava do all of this cool "stuff" - she's pretty good at being happy for her - but I know it can't always be easy (as if being 9 isn't already hard enough)... so when they let her sit with the team, stand with the team, cheer with them... I know what that meant to her.

Just to round out the experience - both girls are outside in the pouring rain with their new volleyballs, decked out in their autographed sweatshirts playing their new *favorite* sport...

Looking out the window seeing how happy they both are I've realized that simply saying thank you isn't enough.

Christall
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Must NOT cry at work. Must NOT cry at work. Must NOT cry at work . . .

Damn it.

That was beautiful.

Comment

this needs to be a warning, much like nsfw, that is the 2nd time today i've ended up in tears - and yes that was awesome for the girls.
      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

*passes out tissues*
        That is just wonderful. I'm so happy for that family.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

This is beautiful.
          I was pissed off before I read this, but now...there is a glimmer of hope for people.
          Thank you for sharing.

Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

That was awesome.

Comment

That's so wonderful, what a sweet family!
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working with customers sometimes makes you forget all the amazing people in this world. Thank you for sharing that and I hope both those little girls grow up to achieve their dreams.

Who's got the tissues?

Comment

Sheldon, I was THISCLOSE to bawling like a baby at work...
                  Thank you for sharing this letter, from the bottom of my heart.
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Tissue, please?

That was beautiful. That's so sad that she would always say that she wasn't going to grow up...I'm SO glad she believes she can grow up and go to college now.
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I'm so glad for her, sounds like she has a wonderful family and a wonderful sister as well. *sniffle* OK, pass the tissues please.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Damn,sure is dusty in here,makin' my eyes water....
                        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I'm glad I'm in my bedroom with the door shut . . . I wouldn't want anyone going to the bathroom and hearing me sniffling and bawling.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh my. That was heart-breaking in how wonderful it was.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Thank you for posting that. It made me as well.

We see so much ugliness and cruelty in humanity that we easily forget that people can be kind and loving as well.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X