Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Birthday - Welcome to the ER (WARNING: with blood and gore!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday - Welcome to the ER (WARNING: with blood and gore!)

TGIF, seriously....

One of the companies that [my company] is contracted with actually has three sites in my "territory" that I might have to cover at, all with the same name. For a week and a half it was on the schedule that I would be at this company today covering "John" but it didn't specify which of the three locations it was. However, it was fairly easy to determine what it was, and I emailed my boss to confirm. He emailed me back to say yes, it's in [City W].

Yesterday morning he put out an updated schedule. I was still listed at the same company today, covering the same person, but now had it as [Town B].

Um....ok...that person doesn't even work there. Whatever, I managed to get out the door early to beat traffic and was 1 exit away from City W when my boss called and said "You know you're going to Town B today, right?"

After a little back and forth trying to determine who I was covering for (since "John" isn't in Town B), he couldn't figure it out, but said I was definitely in Town B.

So I had to turn my ass around and go all the way back to Town B (which is two towns over from where I live and would've been a far shorter drive). Thankfully, because I'd left early and beaten the rush hour traffic, I was still able to get there on-time. Honestly though, it looked as though I was a 5th wheel because it was a slow day. I was just hoping that someone from the City W location didn't call up screaming about my not being there, but it would've been all on my boss at that point.

I spent a few hours helping them get ahead on a few tasks that they'd fallen behind on, and *just* after I punched out for lunch (literally a split second after I'd clicked the OUT button) the site supervisor screamed, started up a long string of F-bombs, and ran out of the mailroom.

Me:

The other guy who works there full-time (he'd just stepped out into the hall) came back in, but before he could ask what happened, the site supervisor came back in, clutching her left hand and her face contorted in pain.

She'd been cutting up a box with a utility knife and sliced her left thumb.

Me: I'm not gonna have to drive you to the emergency room, am I? (half in jest)

Well......as it runs out, I did. After she finally let me and the other guy take a look at it, we saw that it was pretty bad...from almost at the base of her thumb all the way up to the thumbnail.

Fortunately, it wasn't bleeding very much so we didn't need to call 911, but she definitely had to get to the ER. The other guy notified our contact with the host company, along with the site manager and account manager for [my company] while I drove her to the ER. Her boyfriend met us there so I didn't need to stick around, though I did end up puinching back in late.

She is fine. About 90 minutes after I got back to the site she came back. It was a brand new blade on the knife so the cut was very clean and they were able to glue it rather than stitch it, though she did have to get a tetanus shot.

Oh, and get this....it was her birthday today. Happy Birthday, and welcome to the ER! How much does THAT suck?

I called my boss and he readily agreed to add back in the 13 minutes I'd punched in late, since there were definitely extenuating circumstances, and he thanked me for being nice and taking her to the ER.

So, since it was her birthday, and she had joked about stopping at the liquor store on the way to the ER for a shot of whiskey, I actually stopped there before going back to the site and got her a nip of Jack Daniels. When she got back I told her I got her some "tylenol" and handed her the small brown bag. She and the other guy there got a good laugh out of it, which pretty much broke the remaining tension from the incident.

And now I'm back out at their front desk answering the phone. I'm out of here in twenty minutes. What a crazy day.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    So, since it was her birthday, and she had joked about stopping at the liquor store on the way to the ER for a shot of whiskey, I actually stopped there before going back to the site and got her a nip of Jack Daniels. When she got back I told her I got her some "tylenol" and handed her the small brown bag. She and the other guy there got a good laugh out of it, which pretty much broke the remaining tension from the incident.
    That was nice of you, I'm sure she appreciated that.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      Fortunately, it wasn't bleeding very much so we didn't need to call 911, but she definitely had to get to the ER. The other guy notified our contact with the host company, along with the site manager and account manager for [my company] while I drove her to the ER. Her boyfriend met us there so I didn't need to stick around, though I did end up puinching back in late.
      Um, why did you punch out? Unless you did something silly like stop along the way for a quicky you should have remained on company time as you were transporting a workers comp case to the ER. Both of you should have been on the clock, actually ... and if you did stop for lunch while out, the management can handle the timecard issues internally to payroll ... so I don't think that it counts as frolic and detour. [though personally i would have had lunch while at the hospital waiting for the doc to see her hand.]

I would seriously recommend that you talk to your bosses ASAP, that trip transporting her is part of work since it was a workers comp case.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I agree with AccountingDrone. If someone gets hurt while I'm on call as MOD, I have to be punched in and they have to stay punched in while we get them to the ER. You probably should have punched back in before you left. Talk to your bosses to find out for sure.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Ditto what everyone else is saying Dave. I would ring your boss to double check, make sure you claim your mileage for your trip to the ER as well!

Comment

He punched out right before SS sliced up her thumb and didn't have time to punch back in, looks like.

Comment

Um, why did you punch out?
              that's what i was thinking. you were on company time since you were transporting her to the hospital for a work-related injury.

Comment

I had punched out to go to lunch a split second before the accident occurred, and didn't want to waste time punching back in (the remote login to the time clock is painfully slow and can easily take five minutes or more to log a single punch. That's no joke; I've timed it).

Besides, even if I'd done so, I would still have had to punch out later to take a break so I didn't go over 8 hours that day. And I did call my boss and have him adjust things so a proper 8-hour day would be shown on the timesheet.
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                X