This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Job

My new job is quite a bit like my old job- minus the excess stress and insane DL screaming at me.

There was one day while still at BBV that I dropped by the HV I'm in now to pick up some BBV movies that had been dropped there. I got to talking to the MOD and had discovered that he and I were in the same boat- he was the last and only manager in his store as I had been in mine. We sympathized and commiserated.

Since the DL at HV isn't a total screaming lunatic she promoted him to Store Manager. Yes, he's MY Store Manager now. Also, most of the CSR's were either fired or quit during the 'hard time'. The place, as can be expected, had fallen apart.

Strangely, I feel really good about all this.

* The SM recognizes my experience and listens to my suggestions.
    * I have free reign to organize things the way I want them.
    * There are a lot of new people to be trained and in a way that's good as well. It'll be easier to train new people to do things the right way than to break old habits and start over.
    * Other than myself and the SM there are 2 other managers. Fortunately, one has been in the store for 2 years and he knows how things should be. The other has been a manager before but never at a video store. I worked with him last night and discovered he and I are on the same level of thinking on organization and how things should be and run. He listens to my suggestions as well. We agreed that we liked working together and we'd get along fine.
    * There are no off the wall sales goals. I hit high sales marks without even trying.
    * Since the store I'm working at now is only about 2 blocks away from my old BBV I already know most of the customers. They are really weirded out seeing me at HV- it's kinda funny. I am also amused that all the creeps who screamed at me that they were going to HV- and did- are now going to have to face me once again. Yes, I derive great joy in watching their faces go slack as they realize who I am.

My hubby hugged me the other night and said, "Do you have any idea how much more pleasant you are to be around now that you aren't at BBV anymore?"

The answer was no as I don't really feel much different. Apparently though, I'm much more relaxed and in a much better mood.

Wonder why?
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

That's awesome NA!! It sounds like this place will let you actually manage, instead of just doing the dirty work.
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I'm so happy for you, NightAngel.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Yay Nightangel! Stick it to the SCs!

I'm glad you're liking the new job, and it seems like you won't have to put up with the same crap from the corporate type people.

Good luck training the Newbies.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

WOOOHOO!!!

Having a person who respects your ideas and wants to listen to you....wonderful. And wow, it must have been very stressful if your husband could feel you being upset.

I'm glad you're happy and relaxed now. Do you now know your stress / anger barometer better? I hope so!

Learn & grow, learn & grow.

I'm so glad you're doing better. Congrats!

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

But do you vaccum the rugs at HV?

*ducks*

Sounds like it's going to work out just fine.
            "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
            "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
            My MySpace
            My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
              My hubby hugged me the other night and said, "Do you have any idea how much more pleasant you are to be around now that you aren't at BBV anymore?"
              "So are you saying that I was a bitch?!?" j/k

Seriously, though, congradulations. You deserve the new job, concidering what you came from.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, NA!!!!!!!
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Okay, so it turned into a rant...

Thanks all. *hugs*

I got more of the scoop on why this store I'm in had gone so far down hill. The old SM was a horrible alcoholic- to the point she literally FALL in the front door and the employees would drag her behind the counter. This was okay for them as having a passed out drunk for a SM meant they could do anything they wanted. Or not do anything they didn't want.

The store had been downsized so it the DL originally thought all the mess, etc. was from all the construction confusion. Then she somehow came to discover that there was about 50 games missing and who know how many movie rentals/ retail. The employees were literally giving the store away to their friends.

They also weren't doing their jobs at all (why would they?). Imagine going into a video store and the shelves look like people have literally been throwing movies at the shelves instead of putting them away. That's exactly what we're dealing with.

It took me 2 whole shifts just to put the kids section in alphabetical order and wash the shelves- they were REALLY NASTY! *bleh*
                  I know I didn't find everything that was supposed to be in that section either. They weren't even putting the movies down in the right sections! So all the movies in the store are all mixed together. It's such a mess.

On the bright side the company installed extra shelving for us today so we'll actually have room to spread all the movies out and put them in order instead of 95% bookended like they are now.

It's a challenge- but I've always loved a challenge.
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Tonight one of my ex-co-workers from BBV came in to see me. Hugging ensued and then she told me she had just had it over there and wanted to come to work with me at my new store. So, I introduced her to the SM who was happy to meet her and asked her to please put in an application.

Awhile later another one of my ex-co-workers from BBV came in and wanted to come work with me at my store also. So, I introduced her to the SM who was happy to meet her and asked her to please put in an application.

He's already got an application from one of my other ex-co-workers and is ready to hire him.

**HAPPY DANCE**

It's like my pseudo-family is coming home.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Congrats Maybe you can get all your best folks over there!
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Your former DL really shot herself in the foot, didn't she? Losing employees left and right AND facing an inquiry! Revenge is soooo sweet...

And you, after putting up with her crap for so long, will finally be able to run a store the way you want to, sensibly and profitably! See, the good guys DO win sometimes!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

So, last night my new DL was in talking to my SM. Before she left she came over and said, "*SM's Name* has some things he needs to discuss with you."

I guess I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to DL's now because my stomache immediately knotted up and I thought, "Oh... freaking great..." but I smiled and said, "Okay, thanks."

Of course, it was busy and it was almost 2 hours before we got a chance to talk so I was a complete wreck on the inside by then.

What it came down to was that the SM and the DL are both extremely impressed with my performance thus far. When I applied it was for an ASM position but I was informed that ASM is actually Store Manager training- not like at my old job where I was well, the Assistant to the Store Manager. The SM said that he had decided and discussed with the DL that to get the store back together faster he needed me to be more than just a Shift Lead- he needed me to be able to function, basically, as a second SM.

So, I am being promoted to Assistant Store Manager already- in the sense of what I applied for and more. I don't think I've ever been promoted so fast in all my life.

You know, sometimes life can really come together for you in the weirdest ways.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

You so deserve it!! Congrats!!
                            "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                            "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Good for you!

Though it sounds like you'll be really busy for a while.
                              Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Working...
                              X