This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for family

Now that I've quit the job from hell, I've been asked by my dad to work for his business doing bookkeeping and office management stuff. I've never worked for him before, so I'm a little unsure...but he's offering me really flexible hours, and he's desperately in need of someone organized, so I've decided to go ahead and do it.
    I worked for my sister and brother-in-law for three years, and loved it. So hopefully this won't be any different.
    Anyone else ever had a family member as a boss? How did you find it?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

I've really enjoyed it; I've worked with/for my parents since I was ten. The great thing about working for family is that they'll generally be a lot more understanding about your schedule or if something comes up and with my parents, they treated me with the same respect that they'd have afforded another employee. It's a small company, so we've only ever had co-ops working for us.
    "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
    - Raven

Comment

I worked for my then-future father in law. Since I married into a fairly nice family (crazy at times, but then again, so is mine), it worked out.

That's the serious question. You know your family. Can you trust them to not take advantage of you because you're family? Can they trust you not to take advantage of them because they're family?

If yes to both of those: can you do the job properly, or at least learn it relativly quickly? Can they pay you regularly, on time, and the proper amount?

If yes to both of those, you shouldn't have a problem. People working for their family has been fairly common throughout history. It's just when being family gets in the way of business that problems occur.

Comment

When I was working for my grandparents and parents, I got paid on time, treated with respect. But all I did was mow lawns, and weed-eat. I still try to do that occasionally
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I work for my boyfriend's dad, and this is the best job I've ever had.

Comment

As long as they are professional about it and leave home stuff at home, work stuff at work. And as long as he won't want extra favors because he's your Dad.

Comment

I did it for about eleven or twelve years. Depends on the people involved, but be under no illusions - when arguments start, it gets worse than it would in a normal working relationship.

Rapscallion

Comment

The important thing is to keep work at work and home at home. Don't let your problems at home ever get in the way of your work, and don't be afraid to say "dad, this is our home time, lets wait until tommorow to deal with this at the office". And don't let the little things fester until they are making you pull out your hair. If there is a problem, let him know at once.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I started out as a COB (child of the boss). Then Dad 'retired' and my brother and DH are buying out the business so I'm now a SOB and a WOB. Go me. My Mom has also 'worked' here - her work mainly consisted of harassing me - the woman couldn't add or subtract using a calculator to save her life. My younger brother and sister have also worked here along with a cousin and my older brother's wife. Nepotism anyone?

And to make it more interesting my late Grandpa's construction company built the building we are in and my late Great-Uncle and regular Uncles worked for him.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                  X