This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoy the obvious!

At intervals we receive a newsletter circulated amongst all we employees. It deals with such things as employee morale, self confidence, and other fun things. Despite the wholesome nature of the periodical, though, the information is contains comes across as campy, trite, and in this case laughably obvious.

There is one segment I want to relate to you because, well..I'll the text speak for itself. Areas of particular interest will be between brackets.

Title: Laughter in the Workplace.
    Text: [A new study suggests that laughter is contagious.] If that's true, then, then it's definitely something you want to catch. Studies point to laughter's ability to improve morale and health, even to lower turnover rates. [You can even make laughter a more frequent occurrence by pointing out laughable events when they happen]* Reduce restraint a bit and you will see opportunities to laugh more frequently. Hang out with employees who laugh. They often hang out with each other. Don't forget to laugh at yourself-a tough assignment if you are wrestling with fear and insecurity, but practice it anyway. [Much workplace humor involves harmless mistakes made in front of others].

I doubt my words could do justice to this so I leave it up for your consideration. Till next time.

*To quote a friend of mine: "Even in regards to customers? Happy day!"

I suppose I could repost this particular story, cause it's kinda related...

At West County, a girl came in one day a few weeks before we closed for good, wearing a black shirt with "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same." She walked around a bit, then came up to the counter. I gave her a bizarre look, and said, "How dare you lump me in with others. I laugh because I can!"
    She giggled.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I can just hear some stupid manager now: "Happiness in the workplace is no laughing matter!"
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I can just see the first time this backfires because a customer complains "but this crappy employee was LAUGHING at me!!!"
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

You have to ask yourself, is this laughter good for the company?
          Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

I can see that management lecture now.

"When you laugh, are you laughing for yourself, or laughing for the company as a whole? Laughter done by one is as bad as an idea only shared by one..to laugh correctly all must laugh together. Just not at our loyal customers or the senior executives."

Comment

Working...
            X