This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law in TX changing

On March 6, the law is going to change to where I'm going to have to card everyone for alcohol and tobacco, regardless of age. Even a 95 year old grandfather or grandmother will have to show ID to prove they're over 21 or 18.

In the long run, I think it will make my job easier, I won't have to worry about testers, as long as I ask everyone. I won't have people laugh and roll their eyes anymore when I ask someone who might or might not be under 27 for their ID. I won't have people getting all bent out of shape because they're "a mother".

In the short run though, it might be absolute hell. I'm not looking forward to the first few times I get called all kinds of expletives. I'm hoping it won't happen and I'm trying to avoid it as much as I can by telling everyone I sell tobacco or alcohol to about the upcoming changes beforehand, so they can go ahead and work out their "This is ridiculous" feelings before they try to buy it and can't. I just know that a lot of people will NOT be reading the signs next to the alcohol and will not be content with the signs at the tobacco register and I'll probably end up having to call a manager a lot to avoid arguing with them.

The stupid legislators sit around in their offices and make these laws and they forget that it's someone like me who has nothing to do with it that has to be the one to hear all the crap about it.

When they complain just say:
    Per the Texas State Legislator I have to ask for everyone's ID. If you don't agree with the law please write to your local legislator, there is nothing I can do about it.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
      When they complain just say:
      Per the Texas State Legislator I have to ask for everyone's ID. If you don't agree with the law please write to your local legislator, there is nothing I can do about it.
      Either that, or make up cards with your local legislator's contact information (snail mail/email, though... despite you not liking the law, it's not worth dumping a bunch of SCs on your representatives) and hand that out any time someone complains.

Comment

Texas conservatism at its finest.

I made a post on it on fratching....

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
          Texas conservatism at its finest.

I made a post on it on fratching....

they just did the all or nothing routine. all the asshats that balked against being carded just caused everyone else to have to be.

or they just dont want to sell to terrorists and illegals...

just kidding on the last
          You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have no problems with getting carded. My own twin sister has carded me.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I don't have a problem being carded, either. I'm 31 and I know I look a lot younger. But at a certain point, it does get ridiculous. I mean, my dad is clearly over 60... Which, as has been said, is where you say, take it up with the people who make the laws. Those cards don't sound like a bad idea, actually...

Just practice this: "This is now the law, and I am just doing my job."
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I was ready to do that when the new pseudoephedrine law came out, (tell people to call thier congressman who voted for it) but, surprisingly, I didn't have a single complaint....
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Dimes to Donuts that the first time someone attempts to card a texas lawmaker, said lawmaker will raise kain about being carded (oh god the irony would be sweet).
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight
                    Dimes to Donuts that the first time someone attempts to card a texas lawmaker, said lawmaker will raise kain about being carded (oh god the irony would be sweet).
                    I'd like to see that! They should sell popcorn. :insert CSSlave's popcorn-eating avatar here:

Comment

Good luck with that! I can't imagine the suckiness that is gonna come your way...well I can but I don't want to.

And, I am still somewhat of a newb on here, what is this "fratching" I keep seeing people saying they post stuff on?

It sounds dirty But then again, my mind spends a lot of time in the gutter.
                      If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                      www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
                        Good luck with that! I can't imagine the suckiness that is gonna come your way...well I can but I don't want to.

And, I am still somewhat of a newb on here, what is this "fratching" I keep seeing people saying they post stuff on?

It sounds dirty But then again, my mind spends a lot of time in the gutter.

Fratching is Raps' other site, where we get to debate all the inflammatory issues that get threads shut down over here at CS. (And by "we" I mean the general "we the people" as I am not actually registered over there. Yet.) It's a bit more bare bones than CS, but can be quite interesting and entertaining. So go join the fray !

Comment

Raps and the Mods don't want to allow topics on this site that can become heated and go against the pricipals that this site stand for. So from my understanding is that Fratching was created to provide an outlet for the political/religious/other heated topics and no-one gets their toes stepped on (if you get involved with a thread there, you allready know what you're getting involved in). Pretty damned smart idea if you ask me.
                          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Generally speaking, most people have their own views about some of the more controversial topics. With as large a community as we have here, arguments will break out, and we have to stop them. I set up Fratching as a release valve - if you want to fight, take it there and leave it there. Here, we tolerate each other.

Works out for all

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                              Back in the days right before the Savings and Loan debacle, I worked a short (6 month) stint as a teller. One of the "laws" was to require ID on all cash out transactions. A "gentleman" I did not recognize came to my window to cash a check. I asked for ID, and when he refused to produce any, I refused the transaction. I got written up. Why? Because he was a vice president of the S&L.

Yes, those who make the rules refuse to follow those same rules.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X