This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An age warning for THAT?

At Pause And Browse, we sell/sold (they're probably on clearance today) some cheap New Years "party kits" with hats, leis, horns and tinsel.

It was busy yesterday but not insane (chaos in a good way, everyone seemed in a good mood). SM was on register, which rarely happens; I got freed up just when he opened the register so I dart over to bag on that lane. He scans one of the kits, and the scanner pops up with "Is customer over 16?"

Bwuh? I can see that specific age warning for something containing silly string, any aerosol or sharpies, but this was none of the above. Customer actually scrutinized the box for a good minute trying to figure out what tripped the warning. They were cool about it though.

...on a related note, I got that age warning when trying to buy a Pokemon game of all things once (employee was as confused as I was)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Well Pokemon I understand, they were trying to protect young minds. Unless maybe they thought children shouldn't have that much money (Pokemon stuff is expensive).
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      Well Pokemon I understand, they were trying to protect young minds. Unless maybe they thought children shouldn't have that much money (Pokemon stuff is expensive).

Those Pokemon will "Blue Screen" your mind...lol.

Comment

I can see our (Utah) legis-slobberers requiring ID for age on party stuff... After all, they just outlawed "Happy Hour".
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And I get weird looks when I have to ID them for cough syrup. I can't imagine the fits they'd have over party kits. Paging MOD to register 8!
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I used to have horrible issues when I was prompted by the tills to ID for non-alcoholic beer/wine.

Apparently it falls into some weird classification where its considered restricted as it once had alcohol in it even if its now been removed?

It caused serious tantrums though! (Especially the time I spotted it and asked for ID before I rang it up. Tantrum then about it being non-alcoholic and then another when the till confirmed I needed to ID for it!)
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I've been ID'd for spray paint and certain cleaning products.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I know at my store, we had to card if they bought fireworks including those popper things you throw on the ground.

Comment

Quoth emt_cookies View Post
                  ...those popper things you throw on the ground.
                  One of my friends put those under the toilet seat lid legs in the mens teachers lounge...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    Well Pokemon I understand, they were trying to protect young minds.
                    This happened last year; was the encounter here in MA I can kinda understand...maybe (our laws are still WEIRD) but it was up on OR.

A fundie uncle of mine treated me to an epic rant many, many moons ago about how Pokemon was "demonic". At that time I carried around a spring-loaded toy Pokeball, I start bouncing it on the end of its tether and Mew pops out and bounces straight for him
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-02-2012, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      A fundie uncle of mine treated me to an epic rant many, many moons ago about how Pokemon was "demonic".
                      I should introduce my parents to your uncle. Anything even remotely 'supernatural' was evil. So I wasn't allowed to watch Ghostbusters. Or Scooby Doo. Or He-Man. They would have forbidden science fiction but my grandfather put his foot down on that one. His granddaughter was going to read Asimov, by the Three Laws, or there'd be hell to pay.

But it was perfectly okay to watch Clint Eastwood and James Bond movies. I never did get a logical explanation for that one.
                      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

My grandmother was the same way, also against Ghostbusters...we see how well that turned out She had a hissyfit on finding out dad had taken me to see GB2 on its release...I think he told her that when she wanted to go to the theater and pay (which never happened) she would get to decide the movie.

Comment

Great counter on your father's part, Dreamstalker.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

We had to deal with that kind of stuff when it came to Dungeons & Dragons and also Harry Potter...my husband was big into D&D and his mother was always raging against it, but that didn't dissuade him. She made my stepson promise her when he was a kid he'd never play it...of course, he did, eventually I think both my parents and hubby's shook their heads over my stepdaughter reading the Harry Potter books, too. Geez.
                            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                              Great counter on your father's part, Dreamstalker.
                              He knew she wouldn't have an answer for that because she preferred the 'this is bad because I say so' school and would never, ever watch a movie herself (mmkay so how do you know it's 'bad' ), so that ultimatum could never be met. She was a fairly rigid person, so always had to follow 'the rules'.

Never try a conviction argument with an MIT engineer and his geekling, you will lose
                              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X