Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never thought I'd have to say this, but it seems to be becoming a more common way to not get a job:

Have poor/no credit.

I am hearing more and more stories about friends and their friends that have been applying for jobs and the application stating that the company will conduct a credit check (note - not "may conduct", WILL conduct - they NEED to sign a credit check approval or their application will proceed no further) and then are denied the job simply because they refused to get a credit card because they don't want debts hanging over their head when they already have student loans they are also paying off. Kind of sucks that more and more jobs are requiring credit checks, even when it is a job handling little to no money - I realise risk of theft is out there, but they need to realise that treating everyone as a potential criminal is one of the reasons that unemployment is so high, yet there is still articles in the paper claiming "record vacancies for X profession". Plenty of people have the qualifications and are desperately trying to find jobs in the fields that applications are being sought in (and I have heard of people that have been declined for a particular position only to keep seeing the exact same role at the exact same company in the paper every week for more than a MONTH), yet are unsuccessful because companies are simply becoming unrealistic in what they expect from potential employees.
    Last edited by Kagato; 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

• Quoth Kagato View Post
      I never thought I'd have to say this, but it seems to be becoming a more common way to not get a job:

Have poor/no credit.
      [comment cut for brevity].
      There are other ways to have a credit history without having a credit card. Car loans, home loans, and utility bills in your name are just a few things that also build up a credit score. I don't agree with a lack of credit history being a reason to turn down an applicant, but a bad credit report can show a history of bad decisions, and should be considered.

I'll also point out, as a member of one of the industries that have "record numbers of positions" open right now (IT), that those positions often have the requirement to move to other parts of the country. Many folks are not willing to do so, and disqualify themselves from the job.

Also, my industry is plagued with a number of applicants that may hold the paper qualifications, but don't actually have the know-how for it. Though its better now than in the early 2000's, there are still "paper-mill" cert schools out there that teach to the certification tests, but don't actually teach the real day-to-day skills. We call these applicants "Paper MCSEs" or (more rarely) "Paper A+" certs.

So you may have a bunch of people who qualify on paper for a position, but who can't actually do the work.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

• Quoth Kagato View Post
        Have poor/no credit.
        I read this and thought of mobile phone credit aka prepaid minutes.

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Also, my industry is plagued with a number of applicants that may hold the paper qualifications, but don't actually have the know-how for it. Though its better now than in the early 2000's, there are still "paper-mill" cert schools out there that teach to the certification tests, but don't actually teach the real day-to-day skills. We call these applicants "Paper MCSEs" or (more rarely) "Paper A+" certs.

So you may have a bunch of people who qualify on paper for a position, but who can't actually do the work.
        My partner is one of the few that was actually taught the day-to-day stuff (he now works for an ISP) through a "paper-mill" of sorts: down here, RTO (registered training organisations) generally require students to actually demonstrate the knowledge and experience before they are awarded with their course. My boyfriend has both A+ and MCSE (and also SDA I believe: service desk analyst) I also recall he had to go through some work experience: I actually still have some of the coursework books he lent me (more because they had non-IT information that could be generalised).

In his case however, he has since discovered that his field of interest (IT security) requires further study, so he's now completing a degree via distance education. The el bizarro thing about that was that normally to study at a bachelor level if you haven't completed Year 12, is that you sit a test first or do a bridging course. My partner did neither of those and it took him a lunchtime period to sign up. His course IS run through a university though. (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

• Quoth Geek King View Post
          There are other ways to have a credit history without having a credit card. Car loans, home loans, and utility bills in your name are just a few things that also build up a credit score. I don't agree with a lack of credit history being a reason to turn down an applicant, but a bad credit report can show a history of bad decisions, and should be considered.
          Having a credit history also means you can take on responsibility. If an applicant is an adult and doesn't have any bills under his name (not even a cell phone), something's up. A lack of credit history can point to a stolen or fake identity or someone that is incapable of handling his own affairs.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

• It doesn't help though that a new adult starting out can't GET credit. When I started out the only people that gave me any was Schmewels. Thank God for people on commission!
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Quoth Tigress View Post
              Having a credit history also means you can take on responsibility. If an applicant is an adult and doesn't have any bills under his name (not even a cell phone), something's up. A lack of credit history can point to a stolen or fake identity or someone that is incapable of handling his own affairs.
              I beg to differ. There are plenty of ways that an adult can prove they're responsible without having a credit rating.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

• Quoth fireheart View Post
                I beg to differ. There are plenty of ways that an adult can prove they're responsible without having a credit rating.
                I'm sure there are. But a credit rating is (one of) the easiest way(s) to see that you're a responsible adult.

And when an employer is looking at applicants, it's easier to find reasons NOT to hire someone than it is to find a reason to hire them. Looking at credit history is one of the tools they use.
                A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

• Quoth Tigress View Post
                  I'm sure there are. But a credit rating is (one of) the easiest way(s) to see that you're a responsible adult.

And when an employer is looking at applicants, it's easier to find reasons NOT to hire someone than it is to find a reason to hire them. Looking at credit history is one of the tools they use.
                  This was around 30 years ago (around the age of 22 ) just after I graduated from college. Yes I did have a job (be it at a fast food place and yes I had been there for a couple of years). I applied for several different credit cards. I was turned down for all of them. The funny thing is was in the rejection letter, one company suggested that MY CHILDREN could apply for a card. Do the math on that one.

a year later I applied for a loan to buy my first computer (an Apple ][+ and a printer) for around $2500 The only way I got the loan (remember I still had a steady job) was my parents were co-signers.

back then it was a bit hard to start to build credit.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

There are other ways to have a credit history without having a credit card. Car loans, home loans, and utility bills in your name are just a few things that also build up a credit score..
                    Umm... that really depends... first, anything that isn't a loan (revolving or fixed) has a minor effect on your credit score, and even then only with the credit bureaus that track that (I know certain that equifax doesn't). So, if you have the misfortune of applying at a place that runs equifax, then you are SOL. Also, there are a lot of bills that are off the books... I use a prepaid phone, not because I can't get approved for a contract, but because I don't use all the extra features of a contract service and don't want to pay for what I don't use, my rent is paid to my landlord by handing her a check once a month, and on an even more fundamental level, my roommate is very responsible with his bills, he always pays his share on time, if not early... nothing is in his name though.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

But the how do they learn to do the actual work if no one will take the chance to hire them? It took me 3 months to find an accounting job and that happened because my company was willing to take the risk and wanted someone with call center experience for a new venture they are looking at. I did a very good internship with my college and it wasnt a paper mill school.

Most of the applications I have seen and applied for have been wanting at least 1-2 years experience not as a "it would be nice" but an actual requirement to get past the door.

Comment

• Quoth evilfarmer View Post
                        But the how do they learn to do the actual work if no one will take the chance to hire them?
                        That is why you go to a school that actually trains you in the field. If you got suckered into one that doesn't, or you don't have the cash/time for school, you need to start working on your own PC, and those of friends or family to build some real skills.

I'm sorry, but IT isn't a trade where you can reasonably expect an apprenticeship. Most IT shops are working with too few people already to take on people that need serious amounts of training. At best, you might be able to get a position with a smaller repair shop willing to help you get some hands-on time, but most businesses are going to look for people who already have the skills. At the very least, you'll probably need to be comfortable fixing PC hardware and software issues, printer support, getting both onto a network, and handling adding users and groups to the network.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

• Hi all!

Chill, folks. This thread is preferred to be for specific instances of idiocy leading towards not getting hired. It's not for debate about such. Good place for it over there.

Rapscallion
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• This one is more about becoming a permanent hire from a temp status, not just hired in general.

So, to set the story, this person was hired by the temp agency and has been working at this place for a few months, but hasn't and now most likely won't ever be hired on permanently.

I really need that Nicholas Cage "You don't say!?" meme.

If you have been caught multiple times bashing the company or some of your coworkers on Facebook (we all hate blanket overtime but it's not smart to write that shit on FB, and one time you even started a fight between you and another girl on someone else's status update that dragged into the next shift at work where you two needed to be taken outside and SEPERATED by the shift lead), and have called in sick too many times....you're not getting hired.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

• Bring in a resume. Have a brief chat with the manager, who says yes, we are indeed hiring for the holidays.

Tell the manager, "Oh, I don't work holidays."

Comment

• Have your mother drive you to the industrial park to hand out resumes
                                Have your mother come into our shop with you to hand in a resume
                                Have your mother ask if the boss is around
                                Have your mother smile, shake hands with boss, introduce herself and her son who's 'going to graduate high school this spring and wants to get into a trade'
                                Stand there smiling vaguely into middle distance and contribute nothing to the conversation
                                As you are leaving the shop to go next door to turn in a resume with your mother turn to her and remark 'that went well!'

Even the boss had to run upstairs with us so you couldn't hear the laughter. Grow up and grow a pair, then look for a job!
                                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Working...
                                X