Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our company manufactures widgets, which someone could get imported for a lot less than USA made. Why come to us then? Because imports are dime-a-dozen, and if you value quality, responsiveness and service, you'll want a US manufacturer with a long history and stellar reputation. Of course it isn't easy to convince someone to pay more for quality, and that's tough.

Seraph, I'm sorry you had such an asswipe treat you that way. And I agree, saying "I'm sorry, but I'm unable to offer an opinion about a competitors XYZ" is the way to go.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      How true that is! A website I used to visit frequently, many years ago, took out a segment that had a large public input. For me, that took away a lot of the site's attraction -- haven't been back in years.
      Black Library did that years ago when they removed the forums. They were huge, sprawling, a massive part of the site. People posted fanfic and fanart, they ran official competitions, the authors even slipped secrets like the title of the next Horus Heresy book.

Then, a couple of years ago, they got rid of them without warning, deleting everything that had been posted. People lost a lot of the things that had been posted, and in the forced dispersal there just hasn't been a similar place - no more competitions or secrets. Black Library's website is now just a BUY OUR OVERPRICED SHIT - not helping local stores!!

"...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Oh, this is RICH.

So there is a competitor who I used to respect. Used to. Up until it came out that he basically was reusing a single design over and over, and just barely tweaking the colors on it, and adding a couple new images.

Well, found out today that he not only is STILL doing that, and his business is booming...but he's going to aforementioned template Walmart, buying cheaparse designs, and saying they're "unique" designs he made. This is totally unethical.

I posted about it, and instead of people thinking "whoa, that's...that's wrong"....I got slammed for "causing drama" and "just trying to make it so I'm the only designer". There's only one person who seems to care is one of the actual guys who got suckered by this dude. He's pretty upset over it, which is completely justifiable.

I don't get it, I actually do work at making good designs, and making unique looks...and I am failing. This guy is cheating and lying to his customers, and his business is booming. What the fudge, how is that even fair?!
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

wait, isn't that illegal?

Comment

Technically, yes. Copyright infringement. I reported him to the websites, but...who knows what that will do.

I ended up having to remove my posting about it, because guess what? The one guy who was on my side, messaged me "I am really mad he'd do this, but I'm not going to even mess with it." I asked him very, very nicely to please back me up, as it wasn't fair to let him continue scamming people...and he said "nope, don't care, I'm leaving this business soon anyways, and this is the third time I've had my design copied anyways...."

So...I deleted my posts. Because if the victims won't even stand up for themselves, guess who's going to take all the brunt?

.....Scapegoat Seraph, at your service, apparently. Not dealing with it. Fine, forget them.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              Yep. When they suddenly want you to "ramp up" their tedious website ... or heaven forbid, actually design them a unique one! ... make sure your prices have gone up. Let's see if they've absorbed the lesson and are willing to pay for something that will make them stand out.
              This.. especially if they want you to "vamp" their tediously boring site. As my dad said, "If you want that boat mower fixed, it had better not be in pieces when you bring it in. It'll cost more than it's worth just to put it back together!"

Don't give up, Seraph. They win that way, for one and for another, your work is more than worth the effort and pay. They just don't value what you do and honestly, let it bite them in the ass on it. You gotta be original to be noticed.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                I posted about it, and instead of people thinking "whoa, that's...that's wrong"....I got slammed for "causing drama" and "just trying to make it so I'm the only designer".
                Since this guy didn't DESIGN anything, how could you be "jealous" of another "designer"?

I was also thinking about it, and most people START with the cookie cutter design to test the waters and build business to the point where they can afford the high-quality, specialized design. Those clients of yours seem to be doing things backwards.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  *snip* Because if the victims won't even stand up for themselves, guess who's going to take all the brunt?

.....Scapegoat Seraph, at your service, apparently. Not dealing with it. Fine, forget them.
                  They likely don't see themselves as victims but as smart businesspeople -- or at worst, slick entrepreneurs who are getting away with something.

You can't fix that. You've reported this guy to the site and now it's up to the site to deal with him, or not. "Forget them" is very good advice. You've got enough on your plate right now; don't let yourself get sucked into feeling responsible for willing suckers.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Well, found out today that he not only is STILL doing that, and his business is booming...but he's going to aforementioned template Walmart, buying cheaparse designs, and saying they're "unique" designs he made. This is totally unethical.
                    OK, I don't get something. This guy is stealing from the template Walmart . . . why not report this scammer directly to THEM and let them deal with it? Odds are they have the money for a DCMA takedown.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

E-hugs for you and E-slaps for them!

Of course when this all fails they will come back and cry they want a discount on your work because they had to spend out for the failure... if only you could raise your prices at that point!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Lack of planning (or common sense) on their part does not constitute an emergency on Seraph's part.

I'd think that, depending on how much time has passed, her prices would have gone up naturally by then anyway.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                          Continue to provide consultation just charge them more than it would have cost them to get the the website designed by you in the first place.
                          I did an amended return like that...their cheap indy (not Green Square to my surprise) FUBARed it so bad. Cash in my pocket....oh well, you get what you pay for.
                          Back to the OP: It won't hurt to remind your prospects of that.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            OK, I don't get something. This guy is stealing from the template Walmart . . . why not report this scammer directly to THEM and let them deal with it? Odds are they have the money for a DCMA takedown.
                            I did, but typically...they get to be kind of lazy sometimes with that.

Comment

Don't worry Seraph! I sell quality goat costumes and signs with special deals just for you!

Comment

Quoth Etna View Post
                                Don't worry Seraph! I sell quality goat costumes and signs with special deals just for you!
                                I'll take five! XD

Comment

Working...
                                X