This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techie Girl saves the day!

So, before I tell the story, I'll show what I got out of it.

Friday and Saturday, we had the day where the incoming freshmen come in and register for their fall classes, and see the campus, and get goodies. All the fun stuff incoming students get to do.

One of those things is getting their student ID made.

Around 11:45am, I received a call from Community Life, the office doing the IDs. For her credit, she sounded very calm. She asked for bossman. I told her he had just stepped out for lunch. With that, every bit of sanity dropped from her voice. Bossman was the one working with the outside company we bought the ID system from. He was the only one who really understood the program, so she said, and the camera was cutting off half of the person's face, and she had a line ranging far out her hallway!

While not sure exactly what I could do, Techie Girl flew to the rescue.

After a period of turning on and off the camera, unplugging and replugging in the USB cable, switching to another camera, the darn thing wouldn't behave. She sends the amassed incoming freshmen to lunch, telling them to come back later. Finally, she said the one thing they haven't tried yet is to restart the computer. So I did.

When it came back up, it magically reconnected to the camera, and we were able to take pictures again. Hurrah!

Not knowing the cause of the problem, and wanting a little payback on her arch nemisis, the Admin Asst from HADES!!! (since it was the AAFH's lunch break), the Techie Girl decided to become one with the Community Life while IDs were made.

Sure enough, GASP! The program broke again! So, Techie Girl flew to the rescue, doing all of the same things she did before, sure enough, some mysterious step fixed it! Once again, not wanting to leave a problem without a known solution, and not wanting to be stuck taking phone calls again, Techie Girl settled into her new assignment of bellowing "Next!!"

Low and behold, the perspective student who's attempt at getting her picture taken caused the first known problem came back to interrupt the calm and happy Techie Girl. Also, low and behold, the same thing happened!

Now, Techie Girl is a superhero, and when a pattern bashes her on the head, she gets it! Realizing that the camera is probably not to cause, and also realizing that both times the problem occured that the students were female and had high ponytails, Techie Girl puts two and two together and finally gets FOUR!

At her questioning comment, the student took down her ponytail, and BAM! The picture was taken perfectly! (On a side note, the ID card printer decided it needed to be cleaned and threw a fit, making us all wonder if the poor girl was ever going to get her ID card..)

Techie Girl explained to a confused Community Life member that the auto capture of the program must be getting confused with high ponytails, and that once the connection with the camera was lost, the program could not re-establish it, life calmed down. The harried Community Life staff member received her lunch, and Techie Girl graciously allowed her to eat her lunch while she played with (ah hem, tested the functionality of) the ID program by making IDs for a time. The end of the rush brought Techie Girl's boss, who determined everything fine, and banished her back at the Techie Lair of Doom (otherwise known as the Helpdesk).

And that's the adventure of Techie Girl and the ID program of DOOM!!!!

I got the card in campus mail.

I got chocolate!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

YYYAAAAYYY!!!!

I know Techie Girl is *MY* favourite super heroine!

And hey! Free choccy Gonna share any?

And double hey! You got out of dealing with AAFH for a while! Good times all around.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
    X