This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge raise

I attended our monthly staff meeting the other day and one item on the agenda was raises. We were told that everyone would be getting raises and on top of the raises we would get an extra .50 an hour for working "premium shifts".
    BG: Prior to the change all employees started at 9.50 an hour and if you worked overnights (10-6) you received a .50 differential, plus if you were med certified you also received $1.00 more per every hour you dispensed meds. This was a bit frustrating for many of us because we could be based at one home but would have to go to several homes to do meds and each home has their own cost number so in one day I could fill almost 3 pages of my time sheet for a 10 hour day. Meds were also dispensed at different times and some peeps would refuse meds so you also had to account for all the time it took you to convince them to take their med. It sounds complicated and it really was not too bad but putting time in was a pain in the butt.

The agency did away with the $1.00 differential, which means I can just put my start and end time regardless of how many homes I visit per shift.
    The best thing is that now if you start your shift at 1 p.m. or after you get a .50 per hour differential and the overnight differential still stands plus the .50 applys for any shift on weekends. I ask my manager what my raise was, I was expecting something along the lines of a 3% percent of my current wage (that is what I got at my 6 month) plus the .50 differential as all my shifts start at 2 or 2:30 p.m. OMG I was so excited to learn that I got a .93 raise and since I always work on after 1 p.m. I will always get the .50 differential which means I actually got a $1.43 raise!!!!!!! I am so stoked and super excited!

I am loving it because I also put in at least 10 to 20 hours overtime every single week! This brings my pay to $11.51 an hour now! that is a huge jump! AND with the holidays coming up I will be getting double time and a half when I work those days!

It is a great feeling to know you are appreciated and they reflect that in the wages they pay you. My job is easy as cake yet at the same time very hard and nerve racking, depending on the situation. Some days it is a blast and somedays I am breaking up fights, calming hurt feelings and cleaning up puke. I LOVE it all though!

I am a DSP, I provide direct support to developmentally and physically disabled persons in their homes. I usually work in a home with 5 individuals, the homes are just regular houses in a regular neighborhood, the individuals pay rent, buy groceries, work, shop, eat out in the community. My job is to support them in these activities and to help teach them aspects of normal living such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, personal hygiene, social skills and anything else that may come up. It is a fun and challenging job!

Glad you're being rewarded for such a major and important job.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I am happy for you.
      Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
      I also put in at least 10 to 20 hours overtime every single week!
      *faints*
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I did want to add something-I may not work in the retail or restaurant business anymore and you could say that the people I support can be my "sucky customers" at times but I hope everyone understands that I cannot tell any stories about any individuals or even situations relating to my job. I would be violating many different laws, most specific HIPPA and even though I do not believe anyone I work with is on this board, I just cannot take that chance. Our agency is huge and is in two states so the probability is there.

Comment

My job is easy as cake yet at the same time very hard and nerve racking
          I'd say the second half of that is very true. The first; only b/c you obviously care about what you do.

... I hope everyone understands that I cannot tell any stories about ...even though I do not believe anyone I work with is on this board,
          It would be wrong even if there were no chance of getting caught. I think most everyone here understands and respects that. Thanks for doing the work you do, especially since you can't vent or rant about it!

OH! And congrats on the raise.

Comment

Working...
          X