X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two of Nine

This is where things get weird.

After all, I'm working nine days straight (1), sometimes in shifts as long as twelve hours (2), and I even had to work the holiday (3). They're wheeling in a new database system (4) for me to manage (5) and such rides never go smoothly (6); having to do this during the busiest time of year (7) seems a little troubling. Here's hoping for a smooth rollout (8).

So how am I keeping my spirits up during this difficult and stressful period?

(1) This represents a major shift change for me; I lobbied for (and got) hours which, though they aren't precisely banker's hours, at least let me see daylight between Halloween and the First of Spring. They also give me weekends and holidays off; given that I've worked every Saturday night for a decade and have the social life to show for it, it's worth it.

(2) The three twelve-hour shifts are four hours of training followed by my regular shift. It's a long time to spend at the office, but by the time those shifts are done, I will be the biggest, baddest, meanest database manager within fifty miles. There will be no piece of software in that building that I don't know how to manipulate. Beware my mad skillz.

(3) At double overtime, for the win. Next week's paycheck is going to need a forklift.

(4) Yes, another one. Production around here is kind of a three-legged stool. Two of the legs have been replaced already. The third is twelve years old and is a broom handle wrapped in electrician's tape. Time to get a real one.

(5) Manage = manager's pay.

(6) I've had some pretty good stories about co-workers poking our new software with a stick and scampering back behind a rock so far. I'm sure I'll accrue more before the dust settles.

(7) Did I mention the holiday pay?

(8) See #6. Also, HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I think I'm writing this not so much to brag (it's kind of a lateral move, actually) but because when I tell people I'm working nine straight days including a holiday and three twelve-hour shifts, their first impulse is sympathy. The conversation that follows, as you can see, is heavily qualified. I always feel kind of strange explaining that I wanted this. Hell, I asked for it. I said, yes, please, work me to a stump over three weeks starting with Thanksgiving. You mean I get to be Database Batman and all I have to do is work a few twelve-hour days? No problem; bring 'em on.

My roommate seems especially confused, since he hates his job with a passion and would probably find 20 hours in a dentist's chair preferable to 20 hours of overtime, even if it meant mad skillz and phat stacks.

In other news, I will never again say "phat stacks."

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
    ... co-workers poking our new software with a stick and scampering back behind a rock...
    It's the NI3=ON compile flag.
    Look for purple feeble weavers.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      It's the NI3=ON compile flag.
      Look for purple feeble weavers.
      Yes, I should...wait, what?

...Nope, no idea. Can you throw me a clue?

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
        ...Nope, no idea. Can you throw me a clue?
        Nitrogen Triiodide
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
        X