X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw this coming

Last night, in fact.

Rewind a bit.
    Last night, I was scheduled to work till 6 PM. Did so, and caught a dire undercurrent of the store being short on man power for the evening/this morning. I go to "close my register" or rather, turn in my work list for the day, as FES S said it was too busy to actually close my drawer, and she'd take care of it when she left.
    So, I'm in the office, along with MOD J and MOD D, both of whom turn to me as I walk in.
    RJ: "Okay, I'm out of here. See you tomorrow."
    J: "You're not staying tonight?"
    RJ: "No one asked me to."
    J: "Juwl, will you stay tonight? Please? I'll love you forever, or at least until the end of the week."
    RJ: "I don't think I have anything going on tonight, but my feet are getting kind of sore..."
    J: "Well, you can go ahead and clock out, we don't really need you back until 7."
    RJ: *think think think* "Okay, I can stay, I guess."
    J: "Oh my gods, thank you, Juwl, I owe you one. What can I do for you? Do you need a ride?"
    Where? I have a car, borrowed from the parents, but... oh, you mean, do I want you to hotwire a car?
    RJ: "I'm good on the car front, thanks."
    J: "Oooo! I'll buy you dinner, how's that sound?"
    *discussion about food choices near the store between me, J, and D, ends up that wherever I go, I need to bring back the change and an itemized receipt. I can do that. I go, eat, return, hang out a little bit, and jump back on register, alone, for the most part, with one coworker in backup, but, holy crap! I have a set of keys all to myself!*

So, I go home after my shift, right as the clock hits 9. FES H came back in to close, and I was told I could leave right at 9, so, I did.

I got a call tonight about 4, asking if I could come in to close (on my day off, but I was kind of expecting it, so I'd done my laundry early in the day).
    RJ: "What the hell, sure, I'll come in."
    I didn't realize we close at 7 on Sundays. My family had plans to go out to dinner with some friends of the family around 6:45, but I didn't realize exactly what time.
    Around 6:30, I talk to J, and ask if I can head out before the doors are locked, since it was technically my day off, and it was under control by that point anyway. She says yes. So, FES H comes over and shuts down my register.
    I go into the office and count down my drawer, and call an MOD to let me in to do the drop. J shows up, lets me in, and asks, "So, Juwl, your schedule's pretty wide open, right?"
    "Except for Sundays, yes, the family ocassionally goes out on Sundays, but otherwise, I'm wide open."
    "Cool, I've been thinking about talking to MOD S about getting you into FES training, as FES A is going to be moving to the framing department, you're usually available, you seem to know what you're doing, you hardly complain, you don't gripe about your schedule, etc. That is, of course, if you want to be an FES."
    "Sweet, I'd love that."
    "Alright, but you can't go telling anyone."
    "I won't tell my coworkers, but my sister in law is going to want to know, as she has some bizarre desire to see me do well, even though I don't like her, and she doesn't like me."
    "Yeah, sure."

I left on a major high tonight. I much prefer to have the time to get acclimated to the systems and such for a company before going to a management position, as I have experienced the going straight to management when working at GameStop, and I hardly lasted a month there.
    "I call murder on that!"

Good for you.

About time a management system actually watched who was putting forth good effort and rewarded it..

Of course now the chain is gonna close...

Comment

Congrats. Good to see all that sucking up, joking joking joking. As I was going to say, good to see all that hard work caught their eyes.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Congrats Juwl. It's nice to hear when someone is recognized for the things they've done for their company and were aptly rewarded.

This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Congrats! Good to hear you work with what sounds like very nice management.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Guess I should explain how I saw that coming.
            The night that I was mostly alone, when I greeted customers, I would replace "Busy" in my usual "How am I doing?" response with, "I'm all alone! They left me alone! But I get the feeling they did that to groom me to become an FES."
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Congrats!!!
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Sadly, I have yet to hear anything about it becoming true. I've seen said MOD talking to the SM in my range of sight, but SM has said nothing, hasn't even hinted about it, to me.
                It was hard like you would not believe when, the other day, FES T, who was just coming on shift, asked FES H who management was trying to get to replace FES M who will be out a few weeks with a broken hip.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                X