X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Up . . . One Step at a Time

So, I'm a host at a restaurant.

I've been a host for over five months.

This is unusual; usually, folks move up way quicker than that. And I found out a few weeks ago that it's 'cause of my tendency to freak out at inopportune moments (panic attacks and such). Just weren't sure if I could handle waiting.

After maybe a week and a half of my very bestest behavior . . . I think things are changing. One of my managers tonight--the one who told me why I wasn't moving up--told me that the next time we're working together and not too busy, he wants me to try to take a few tables. I've got another manager who's told me that her goal is to get me into serving (though she wants to be sure I won't freak out, too). And I've got the support of a couple of mainstay servers.

I know becoming a server isn't too big of a deal in pretty much most instances, but . . . I've been waiting five months, and I was convinced that they didn't think I was good enough. I'm excited.

Oh, yeah, and I took my second table ever tonight, and while they only tipped me $2.50 on a $20, they had me go get my manager so they could tell him how awesome I am. I think that helped.

Oh, and pitching in on the extra-special pain-in-the-ass we-have-a-big-wig-coming-tomorrow sidework at the end of the night tonight? When only one or two servers had done their sidework at all? That probably didn't hurt either . . .

^_^ Yyyyyeah.

Yay! Congrats!
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Okay! I've filled in as a waitress one morning and did a good job. Yay! They're not moving me up 'cause they need me as a host, but I'll probably move up once that passes, and moreover I've proved that I'm able.

Plus.

Since I'm not moving up, since I've worked there six months, and since I do a bang-up job, I asked the boss for a raise. I was thinking $.50, right? But . . . I got $1.50.

*Jawesome.*

I win. ^_^

Comment

Working...
      X