This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm looking for a book, but I don't know the author or the name..."

I usually joke around at the library, with something along the lines of a patron coming to ask for a "book with red cover" and not having any other info at all about it.

Well, a few days ago it really happened, although not exactly like that. Good thing she wasn't sucky though.

A patron calls in and wants to make a few reservations to books. Nothing unusual, I put them into our system. After

that's done, this conversation takes place (not verbatim, since I really am bad at remembering exact words used):

P = Patron
    M = Me

P: I'm also wondering if you could find another book for me...
    M: Sure thing, do you have the author's name and/or the name of the book?
    P: That's the thing, I can't remember that.
    M: *starting to feel this can't end well, patrons usually don't have the ISBN number either* Do you remember anything that could help me find the book?
    P: I remember it was about a Finnish woman who worked in a high-end shoe store in England and she wrote the book

about her experiences from there..
    M: I really don't remember a book like that *tries looking through our system which isn't designed for queries like this*
    P: Don't worry, I didn't expect you to actually find it, I just thought I'd ask. Could you try finding out about it, ask your colleagues perhaps?
    M: Sure, I'll get right back to you if I find it.

After the call ended, I spoke to a co-worker who was manning the counter with me and she had no idea. Our head librarian who came a few seconds later had no idea. I decided to give it one last Google search (had done several whilst on the phone, just a load of shoe stores ) and there it was.

It was actually about a woman who worked in a high-end shoe store in New York, but it was definitely the same book.

Phoned up the patron and she thanked me profusely for the "ridiculously good service"

Yay! I love a good ending But yeah, sometimes I'll pluck up the courage & make a request like that - with the same caveat; "I thought I'd just ask, just on the off-chance - if you can't, no worries, but if you can, you're a legend in my eyes!"
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Back in the early '80s I worked at a bookstore, and took a call from a lady looking for a "blue book with the picture of a torso on it." I was able to figure out what book she wanted, (Callanetics, I still remember it!) and pull a copy to hold for her. It turned out she was a secret shopper! Yeah, I passed!
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
      X