This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired sight unseen...

I've been talking with the 2IC of our local supermarket ("Pause and Browse") for a few weeks. He told me to call today about setting up an interview; I decided to just pop over there because mom had just come from the store earlier this morning and said things were starting to get crazy what with a religious holiday starting tonight and all.

So I catch him (poor guy was on a register and completely frazzled, I had to rein in my instinct to jump in and help bag) and before I can tell him that I'm free all day today he tells me this:

Manager asked him "Who is she again?" (2IC thinks I'm awesome and has been talking me up trying to squeeze me in)
    2IC: "She's Jo's daughter, you must know her, she's in here all the time buying food for a family."
    Manager: "The Jo that cooks for the Jesuits? If she's anything like her mom we need her here now!"

Even he was a bit surprised as he told me that sort of thing NEVER happens. So I'm supposed to talk to him on Monday to do the paperwork.

*squee*
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Woohoo!!! Congrats on the job - and it's pretty awesome that your family has such a great reputation.

Comment

Hey, grats on getting picked up!

And, once again, it's not what you know but who you know that ends up mattering.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wonderful news! Congratulations and best wishes with the job!!
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Incredible. You're so lucky.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

That was the absolute last thing I was expecting, believe me. When I get some money under my belt I'm planning to get mom something nice for Christmas.

I start in just about an hour; not sure exactly what I'll be doing yet but it's probably training for the first few shifts at least.

Comment

How did it go, Dreamstalker? Well, I hope!
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Yeah; a few crazies (I have a few threads in Sucky Customers already) but overall I enjoy bagging and cart/returns wrangling. I get bored easily if I'm doing the exact same thing for too long, and I also get to practice my Tetris skills with boxed items (a customer did ask if I ever played Tetris upon seeing that I had in fact managed to get everything in 2 tote bags and have them still be reasonably easy to carry).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker
                  I get bored easily if I'm doing the exact same thing for too long, and I also get to practice my Tetris skills with boxed items (a customer did ask if I ever played Tetris upon seeing that I had in fact managed to get everything in 2 tote bags and have them still be reasonably easy to carry).
                  Omg! That's what I always say! Lol. A good Tetris player can bag a bunch of stuff into a few bags and do it well without crushing anything.
                  Last edited by dragon_wings; 10-24-2011, 01:42 PM.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

The manager is fretting about how he hasn't gotten a chance to officially train me yet; it's the start of crazy season in the store so I think the only problem there is time (I'd be willing to come in and do some training when I'm not actually on the clock, we only live 3 minutes from the store).

Comment

Working...
                    X