This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job (sorta) and other news!

Ok, I know I'm not the most prolific or popular poster here, but I've posted about my (old!) job a few times. In a nutshell, I'm a truck driver driving a local route 12 hours a night. There's a manager in charge of that particular route that, theoretically, should be in charge of the drivers on his own. But, our corporate offices seem to have it in for that location, micromanaging everything and yelling at us when we can't, for whatever reason, conform to their demands. Things such as demanding we be available on our days off and not offering any sort of compensation for having to clear our schedule on the off chance they need extra drivers.

My boss has been completely understanding about what we, as drivers, are going through thanks to corporate. I've never had a problem with him. It's always been what corporate has handed down, and the only times he's gotten frustrated with us is when they're breathing down his neck especially hard. And that, I understand; I've seen it many times with managers, and he's always apologized when it's become a serious issue. He even told me a couple of weeks ago that out of all of our drivers, there were 3 he supported and felt he could count on. I was one of those 3.

I've been looking for a way to get off that route for quite a while now, just because I'm tired of the stress. I'm tired of not feeling like I have a choice in whether I take overtime or not. Lately I've been working at least 1 or 2 extra days each week...12 hour shifts, grueling ones at that. I'm exhausted, I just want a stable schedule for once, one in which if I choose to work more, it is truly my choice.

That opportunity finally showed itself to me. I got a phone call from my boss on the LAST day I worked, asking if I was serious about wanting to switch. After talking to the new guy I would be working under, I decided that, yes, it would be a good switch for me. Same hours, exact same schedule as I have now, only less stress, from what it sounds like. Corporate actually lets this guy run his service, rather than micromanage it, and he seems extremely fair.

The place is nearly twice as far away as my current location for now, but I have wanted to move out of this town, and there are some good apartments available for rent very close to where I will be working now. So, not only do I have a new, less stressful job, I have a potential move coming up...a move OUT of a town in the middle of nowhere, OUT of a house that floods every time it rains decently, OUT of a house that is literally falling apart underneath our feet (water damage, exposed floorboards in the bathroom which is over a basement). So, good news all around! I'm excited and ready to get out of here!

Congratulations. May all you hope for be fulfulled and all you don't want left behind.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Finished the first week of the job. If it hadn't been for thunderstorms and this chest cold I'm fighting, I might have thought I'd died and gone to heaven. And just found out we got approved for the apartment we wanted, so...all is well!

I'm excited to move. Haven't had my own place since shortly after college, having lived with first my parents and then husband's mother until now. Just have to get the money for the first month's rent and the first installment of the pet deposit, and get lights and internet turned on, and I'll be set!

Comment

Working...
      X