This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese sandwich shop

The problem this year has been that since I'm moving this fall or winter, nobody wants to hire me. Where are all the temp jobs? I dunno. Anyways, my in-laws' favourite little cafe was hiring, and I think they put in a word with the boss, because he called me in and hired me on the spot. Slightly unnerving.

It's part-time, and he needs someone who speaks English to take orders accurately. Most of his staff are new immigrants and only speak Chinese. I suspect I'll be learning some bits of it myself. He's Chinese too and has never hired any westerners before. This will be fun.

Get this -- he said outright that I'd get minimum wage for servers, which is almost two bucks less than regular minimum wage, and that since the tips from his customers tend to be low, any time I made less than regular min wage per hour after tips he'd be topping it up. What kind of crazy ethical businessman have I encountered?

Anyways, the job hunt is over for now. When I get to where I'm going in the fall I'll start again, and apply to all those general labour and customer service jobs that I was qualified for but didn't get because I wouldn't be around long-term.

Congratulations, but to answer you 'one who's operating within the legal requirements', as if I remember correctly, it's a legal obligation for a server's wages + tips to equal minimum wage.

Comment

I've never worked in a tipping environment -- all my CS work has been retail or support, not serving -- so I guess I assumed the worst.

Comment

That's a law in alot of states. If you are a tipped employee, and if you do not recieve enough in tips to equal real minimum wage, they have to make that up.
        What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Congrats & good luck!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Bossman is a little gay Chinese guy who picks up pots of boiling noodles off the stove with his bare hands.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
              *snip*

Get this -- he said outright that I'd get minimum wage for servers, which is almost two bucks less than regular minimum wage, and that since the tips from his customers tend to be low, any time I made less than regular min wage per hour after tips he'd be topping it up. What kind of crazy ethical businessman have I encountered?

Anyways, the job hunt is over for now. When I get to where I'm going in the fall I'll start again, and apply to all those general labour and customer service jobs that I was qualified for but didn't get because I wouldn't be around long-term.

It may be law, but still, you've got a guy who obviously isn't taking advantage of the economy to screw his employees over.

Congratulations on the job! I'll be doing the same thing once I get to My Hometown, although I'll be there for 2 years ... but will need to find parttime work only since I'll be a fulltime student come September.

Comment

Bossman is really tough on the newbies, in terms of correcting them when they do something wrong and making sure they do it right. It seems harsh but at the end of the day he says I'm not doing badly for someone who's been on the job for four days. He's actually giving me responsibilities and stuff. I have a lot to do in the morning when he's in the kitchen doing the cooking. It's restaurant boot camp. I'll be really good at this by the end of the summer. Hope hiring managers will appreciate it when I get to where I'm moving to.

Comment

Working...
                X