This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helped open a new place

Those offended by some language... you should stop reading now. For that matter, don't ever read any of my posts.

So first off - the regulars remember my job at The Whole (Foods). I left in 2010. I went back to Papa Asshole for a bit from the end of 2011 until the end of Feb 2012. Then my car said "fuck you jackass, you don't do delivery in a 14 year old car" and spat a transmission at me.

I was living in a college town at the time, with free bus service for University of North Texas students. The car sat for 3 months. My car is a very common Nissan Altima - however, Nissan only made a few thousand each year in a manual, and didn't use that transmission in any other car. So it took awhile to find a transmission. When I did find one, it wound up being garbage (seller said "sat for 3 years indoors", which apparently meant "sat in the rain outdoors for 8 years"), so I got screwed out of the labor to install it (but got a refund on the transmission). Finally found another one, and the car now drives again. The entire time I lived in Denton I put about 2000 miles on my car, including the time I did delivery. I've only put 6000 on it for the entire year so far. I've moved back into DFW, and I'm still doing full time college. I hate driving more than ever, and I really miss being able to walk/bike everywhere in Denton (or hop on the bus for free).

Doesn't mean I'm doing delivery again. Oh hell no.

So that out of the way... I didn't work from February until last week. I saw a job posting on Craigslist for a "New pizza concept!". Turns out it's a spinoff of Pizza Inn, which is pretty well established. They were building a brand new store 10 miles from home.

I saw the posting, I went up to apply in person. They told me they'd "run a background check and get back to me", so I drove home. A few minutes after I got home, they called me and said "Hey can you come back up for a second interview? Bring an ID and social security card with you, ok?".

It's minimum wage, I was told 15-20 hours a week. It'll at least get a few bills off of my back. Orientation was last Monday, with training starting Tuesday. Soft opening for invited corporate types on Friday, soft opening for Friends/Family of employees Saturday, closed that Sunday.

Saturday, the GM asked me if I'd mind coming in Sunday to help him make dough for the grand opening. No problem boss. I show up, boss and the VP of the company are shouting at each other in horrible fake Italian accents about PIZZA PIES and I'LLA KICKA YOUR ASSAAAA!!! and a lot of Mario and Luigi references. Boss told me to clock in (I showed up about 15 min early, still getting used to the commute). I start helping with dough, he says "So how many hours do you want?". I tell him "25+ would be good, but I'll take anything up to 40".

I closed Monday, I was off yesterday. Went in today to close, boss told me the schedule wasn't printed yet, but I should check it on the register (POS system handles time clock and schedules). 35 hours next week. The next closest non-manager has 24.

The closing manager tonight was the assistant manager. He's a very, very abrasive guy, but he tells you he's abrasive when he meets you and not to get offended, and freely admits to being an asshole. I'll admit now, I couldn't stand him when I met him, but he does get stuff done. Tonight, 5 minutes to close I'm pulling everything from the make tables except for the bare minimums, at close I pull the rest. I bust my ass cleaning for about 30 minutes, then walk back and ask him what else needs to be done.

"Well let's see what you mi... holy shit dude!"

He told me that his best closer at his last store took about 45 minutes to knock out what I did in less than 30, and that they "half assed most of it". He tried to suggest I knock out some of the lobby stuff... except when he started listing stuff, it was all stuff that either myself or the lobby closer had already done. "Nope, I did that already... yeah that too... no, both of us got it.. no, she got it already.. nope, I got that too.. yeah I even got the windows.. yes both sides of the glass.. oh trash? X and Y got all the lobby trash and I took out most of the kitchen trash when they went out, there's only 1 bag left right over there, I think the only thing left in the lobby is the soda fountain".

He looked at me and said "I knew you knew your shit, but you just impressed the fuck out of me. Go home dude!"

I normally won't touch minimum wage jobs unless I think I have a chance at moving up to a shift or assistant manager spot.... or I'm really desperate. And right now my #1 priority is school - but since I can no longer receive federal financial aid, a job is essential to finishing school. I'd say this job is going good so far. A quick glance at the schedules shows I'm the only hourly employee with this Friday off. I also have next Friday off. We close at 9 except for Fri/Sat, we close at 10 on those days, so even if I don't have a Friday off, I'm still out of there by 11... which leaves plenty of time for fun.

Also, yes, I am totally patting myself on the back right now, hard enough to bruise my back. As if that wasn't obvious.

That sounds very awesome.

Comment

Cool beans!

And VERY nice to see that someone CAN be recognized for knowing their shit. It's few and far between, as I'm sure you know.

GL in school as well.

Comment

Hey, I know that name.

Sorry to hear about you stuck with delivery, glad to hear you're out of delivery but got a job you rock at with people who actually pay attention to such things.

Fingers crossed that things keep up.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^ What she said. You've been off the board for a long time!
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I took a break from CS for a bit.

Last night's closing manager was the afternoon manager today. I overheard him telling the closing manager that I'd have all my stuff done before 9:30 (we close at 9). The asshole jinxed us!

Except tonight we were slammed. Non-stop, right up until I locked the front door (last group of customers walked in at 8:59). Last night was slow enough that I was able to swap out all the make table containers by 8, and had enough time to do a lot of cleaning between customers. I started trying to swap out the containers at 7:45, and didn't finish until 9:15. Uninterrupted, that's about a 5 minute job.

I finally got my stuff done by about 9:40, except for mopping. Then I wandered into the back and see "Sweet 16" (not my nickname for him, closing manager came up with that) doing dishes. Nice enough guy, but he's never had a job before, and obviously has never had to wash his own dishes at home. He got stuck with 2 piles of dishes stacked about 5 feet high (on the floor). I noticed he was just spritzing them (very, very slowly), then chucking them into the sanitizer sink.. which was full of food and obviously hadn't been changed in awhile. Probably 1-2 minutes per item, with lots of grease/food remains/etc on everything.

I started trying to (politely, mind you) show him how dishes should be done, then realized that we'd be there all night, and informed closing manager I was taking over on the dishes. I told Sweet 16 I could get them knocked out a lot faster and I'd show him the "proper" way to do it another time, and mentioned the proper way was also a lot faster. Closing manager had him take the trash out and handle the lobby instead.

Took about half an hour, but I got all the dishes done, then knocked out the floors in the back. I was going to do the front floors, except contractors showed up to finish up some stuff they hadn't finished before opening. Closing boss and I waited about 15 minutes, trying to find other stuff to do, before he finally asked them how long they'd be. "Oh, probably an hour". Closing boss left a note for the opening manager explaining why the floors in the front (not the lobby/dining area, the floors behind the counter) looked rough and we left... at 10:40. I was supposed to be gone by 10. One of the other closers lives 2 miles away and doesn't have a car, I wound up giving him a ride home, then getting groceries and gas on the way home... I walked in the door around 11:30.

I had an online midterm for one of my classes that had to be finished by midnight, with an hour and 15 minute timer. An hour before I went to work I wandered into the online midterm and figured I'd give it a shot, knowing I could pause it and pick back up later. Now I'm glad I did. (I got a 90 on it, BTW, and finished the entire thing in 23 minutes.. 50 questions)

Unfortunately, I have several coworkers who've either never had jobs before or never cared about their jobs - and we overhired for opening. I'm going to guess the schedule is going to get a haircut. I commented to my closing manager "Ever feel like you're doing the work of 2 or 3 people?". He laughed and said "all the time man", and pointed out that he and I had done nearly everything in the closing duties ourselves. We had 3 closing employees, plus the closing manager... Sweet 16 took 10 minutes to take the trash out (the dumpster is about 30 ft from the back door), nuff said.
            Last edited by bean; 10-19-2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

bad for the jinx, but it sounds like you're still doing a kickass job there.

extra drinks cos you're doing the work of 2-3 people

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                Tonight, 5 minutes to close I'm pulling everything from the make tables except for the bare minimums, at close I pull the rest. I bust my ass cleaning for about 30 minutes, then walk back and ask him what else needs to be done.

He told me that his best closer at his last store took about 45 minutes to knock out what I did in less than 30, and that they "half assed most of it".

He looked at me and said "I knew you knew your shit, but you just impressed the fuck out of me. Go home dude!"
                Quoth bean View Post
                Unfortunately, I have several coworkers who've either never had jobs before or never cared about their jobs - and we overhired for opening. I'm going to guess the schedule is going to get a haircut. I commented to my closing manager "Ever feel like you're doing the work of 2 or 3 people?". He laughed and said "all the time man", and pointed out that he and I had done nearly everything in the closing duties ourselves.
                Sounds like even with the schedule getting a haircut, your hours will still look like Crystal Gayle.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Hope everything continues to go well for you. Good luck with finishing school too.
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                  X