X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a question about enemas *squick alert*

Ok.
    From what I understand there are at least 3 ways for an enema. A soap enema, one with Go-Lytely or other medicine, and saline. (right?)
    Why are there differences, because I thought an enema is "water/soften stool so patient can pass".
    I've read that enemas make a hell of a mess, because, well, shit got soft. What is used to "catch" the runoff? (assume patient cannot/will not get to toilet in time). What about a garbage bag, edge under a hip, patient pulls knees to chest instinctively to help pass, shit goes out, bag catches it? (of course with chux pads around)

*another gross alert, TMI, you're warned!*
    I passed a super constipated evil stool, and I could see at least three defined styles of it http://bit.ly/13BUI2g. The worst worst part was literally coal black and really hard. REALLY HARD. Let's say a patient has something like that. Could you 'grab' or 'pull' that end to start the movement?

Thanks for reading and not retching
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

The one I had when I needed it (severe constipation to the point where my large intestine was almost completely blocked) was a glycerine and oil one (this was after the micro-enemas didn't work).

When I was getting it "done", the nurse brought in a chair that looked like a wheelchair but had a hole in the top and a bucket/tray/tub underneath. She explained to me that it was the "toilet chair" for if I couldn't get to the toilet in time (luckily I never needed it!). So I suspect that there are ways around it.

As far as the "difference" goes, I suspect that the products are designed to either soften the faeces so that they actually move through, or they are designed to lubricate the passage and allow for the movement to occur.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Doctor. Now.

Thread closed.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
      X