This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antics of Famous Persons

As it turns out, at the hospital where the Sturdy Nurse used to work, a Famous Person was admitted. How this came about was quite interesting. You see, the Famous Person has a Famous Child who lives in the city where my boyfriend, the Sturdy Nurse, used to live. As such, Famous Person would come to visit Famous Child periodically. Famous Person did not want to be recognized, and certainly did not want to entertain clamoring fans.

This is all understandable. What isn't understandable is how Famous Person went about avoiding notice and crowds. One one visit to the city, Famous Person arrived too late to visit Famous Child, and was informed by Famous Ex-Spouse that Famous Person would have to go away and come back in the morning.

Famous Person accepted this with their famous stoicism, and decided to find a motel to stay at for the night. The first problem with this was that Famous Person chose a rent-by-the-hour motel, perhaps out of the misguided notion that ID would not be required. The second problem was that Famous Person had chosen to visit the motel's front office wearing only a bathrobe. God knows why. God knows how -- but when ID was requested, Famous Person was able to truthfully point out that ID is typically not found in bathrobes.

This exchange went back and forth for a while, with Famous Person offering ever higher sums of money to be allowed to stay without an ID, and the motel clerk refusing, until Famous Person became quite agitated and the motel clerk called the police. In due time, the police arrived (being no strangers to this particular motel) and cuffed Famous Person to be hauled away to the hospital for a psych evaluation.

Well. If Famous Person had thought to avoid adoring crowds by sneaking anonymously into a motel, the plan backfired spectacularly when the hospital got involved. Immediately, cell phones lit up citywide like fireflies in the summer night, with the thrust of the gist being OMGLOLFAMOUSPERSONBBQWTF.

Crowds began to gather at the hospital. The good citizens had been informed by relatives and friends and friends of relatives and relatives of friends who worked at the hospital that Famous Person was in there, and they were not going away until they had had a chance to meet and greet.

This approach raises a question. Say you, as a member of this particular mob, are allowed inside to fawn over your idol. What are you going to say? What are the two of you going to talk about -- the weather? I've never understood this -- it's the same thing as when you see maddened crowds chasing after The Beatles in old news footage. What would the crowds have done had they caught them? Don't you wonder? I do.

Throughout the night, crowds massed outside the hospital, dispersed, massed again elsewhere on the grounds. Sturdy Nurse's phone did not stop vibrating -- message after message after message demanding to know OMGWTFISFAMOUSPERSONREALLYTHEREOMGOMGOMG!!111!!!

Sturdy Nurse's response to these messages was as follows:

What?

He had never heard of Famous Person, and did not even recognize the person until months later when he saw Famous Person on TV and realized, "Hey! That's the weirdo who came in wearing nothing but a bathrobe, who spent the entire night staring at the ceiling!"

It's difficult being famous, I suppose.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
    Say you, as a member of this particular mob, are allowed inside to fawn over your idol. What are you going to say? What are the two of you going to talk about -- the weather?
    I have a list of the top five "famous people*" I'd love to have coffee with. That being said most of them(4 out of 5) are "famous" for writing(non fiction) books, and I'd love to talk to them about the subject matter of the books(I've had short conversations with 3 of the five on twitter). Though the only one on that list that isn't a writer(actor), is the one I have an "open invite" to go out for coffee/lunch if I'm ever in his home city, and he's home(which will likely never happen, but I have his personal email, and was given his home address if it should ever occur)

*famous being a relative term, only one name on the list would likely be recognizable to anyone here.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Was this a Crazy Famous Person, by any chance? 'Cause that's what it sounds like. I mean, who shows up anywhere in just a bathrobe?? If the idea was to have a good excuse not to carry ID, Famous Person apparently didn't consider the fact that he/she would likely be recognized without it (which wouldn't matter anyway if the hotel's rules said you have to have ID). Duh.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        That being said most of them(4 out of 5) are "famous" for writing(non fiction) books

*famous being a relative term, only one name on the list would likely be recognizable to anyone here.
        I thoroughly enjoy nonfiction. If we enjoy the same types of NF, I might recognise the names.

Most of the Famous People I would like to meet are writers of one sort or another. With the nonfiction writers, I would want to discuss the topics of their books. With the fiction writers, the craft of storytelling.
        The few who are actors, I'd be interested in how they take the dialogue and stage directions from a screenplay or script, and convert it into a character. What's in a script is really fairly sparse!
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
          This approach raises a question. Say you, as a member of this particular mob, are allowed inside to fawn over your idol. What are you going to say? What are the two of you going to talk about -- the weather? I've never understood this -- it's the same thing as when you see maddened crowds chasing after The Beatles in old news footage. What would the crowds have done had they caught them? Don't you wonder? I do.
          I once had the opportunity to have a two minute conversations with Really Famous Basketball Player (RFBP). We talked about (drumroll please....) our kids. We happened to both be looking at the chimpanzees at the same time on a rather slow day at the zoo. He complimented my children, I complimented his. Then the cameras showed up and I realized I'd just exchanged pleasantries with RFBP. He was rather amused at my shocked "OMG, You're RFBP! How did I not recognize you?" Then he was whisked away by his security because the stupid camera people got obnoxious. I felt bad for his kids, not getting to stay at whatever exhibit they wanted to for any length of time.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

One time, when I was little, I retrieved a pound coin dropped by someone in a store, going to give the guy his pound back, he turned round and told me i could keep it.

said person turned out to be a famous person who dies a lot in movies, though I didn't know it at the time, since I was so little.
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

My husband (when he was a child) once asked this nice gentleman "Why are those men following you?"
              The gentleman said "It's a game. We're not supposed to notice."

He was Prince Charles. The men following him were his security detail.

(This would have been in the very early 1970s - a much more innocent time, when the royal family could walk the streets.)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                I have a list of the top five "famous people*" I'd love to have coffee with. That being said most of them(4 out of 5) are "famous" for writing(non fiction) books.
                I met one of my favorite Sci Fi authors at a convention . . . and was very disappointed. He was a bit of a self absorbed jerk.

I met Walter Koenig from Star Trek/B5, and he was awesome to talk to.

I almost knocked Garrett Wang on his ass at Gen Con: we were both racing around the same corner in two different directions . . . heading to the same event (a ST: VG panel). I'm bigger than he is; if I hadn't dodged in time, he'd have been flat on the ground.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  ... almost knocked Garrett Wang ...
                  Sapphire's knocking wangs!

Are you using a recurve beau?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I shared a packed elevator with Jeff Lewis (actor who plays Vork in the Guild amongst other things). Had a brief conversation concerning surprise that everybody on the elevator had names that start with J. Jeff (him), James, Jared, John, and Jessica. Got to see his license in the shuffle of proving it that we did.

Also met Wil Wheaton that night. He's a stand up guy. He signed my Hello Kitty Online case.
                    Flood

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      My husband (when he was a child) once asked this nice gentleman "Why are those men following you?"
                      The gentleman said "It's a game. We're not supposed to notice."
                      What a great answer. For a moment, he was Prince Charming.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                      X