This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it's Workman's Comp!

Now to be fair: most people who file for workman's comp really do need it and don't abuse the system. So no fratching, please.

But Misty's story in Sucky Customers reminded me of a particularly blatant SC abusing Workman's Comp.

One day I'm working as the triage nurse when a guy comes in complaining of pain after falling out of his motorized scooter. The injury happened several days earlier (on Christmas Day, as it happens), but only now did he decide the pain was too much. His vitals were stable, and he didn't have any obvious injuries, so I triaged him to the waiting room and sent him to Registration.

We were really busy that day, so I went into the back to help with patient care since there was no one else waiting for triage. A few minutes Registration calls me back up.

Wheelchair Guy is pitching a fit because the registration clerk wont' (actually can't) register him as Workman's Comp. Apparently whatever put him in the scooter was covered under Workman's Comp, and he assumed that anything related to the scooter was also covered by WC.

I tried to explain to him that no, his recent fall had nothing to do with his original injury and would therefore not likely be covered. However, I told him, if he wanted us to file it that way, we would but to not be surprised when WC kicked it back and he got a bill.

Sure enough and I'm sure the gentle reader can guess the next part . . . . .

"I'm calling my lawyer!"

Me: OK, so call him. Nobody's telling you that we won't see you. We will whether you can pay or not. The issue is whether or not we can register you on Workman's Comp.

So of course, he decides to leave without being seen, complaining loudly the whole way that he's workman's comp.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

To a degree, I can understand his logic. The question in his mind is probably along the lines of would he have been this injured if he didn't have the initial workman comp issue. And, some insurance companies seem to want to play this game too. Ours for example, every time my husband gets anything done regarding his arms, tests, surgery, whatever, sends us 10 surveys all telling us if we don't respond they won't pay, and they want us to inform them if there is any other person who can be held responsible for it. I imagine this sort of approach from insurance companies who don't want to pay, make people question things they wouldn't normally.

Comment

The law does vary from country to country on what would fall under workers comp but in general they're only responsible medical bills related to the original injury. The scooter may be needed from the original injury but if you fall off it then it's on you since you're still expected to use it properly.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

When I bought a scooter, the guy who sold it to me (assembles and repairs scooters - one of those small businesses) made damn certain I knew what sort of slope I could expect it to be stable on; and where not to try to make it go.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Workman's Comp sucks, regardless. I crushed my leg with an 88kg exercise bike and went to the hospital, filled out all of the necessary paperwork, and they STILL rejected me.

Comment

Me: OK, so call him. Nobody's telling you that we won't see you. We will whether you can pay or not. The issue is whether or not we can register you on Workman's Comp.
            I don't know if he was trying to scam on his WC but... it does sound like he was trying to intimidate you with the LawyerCard.

However your reply is a perfect foil for that card.

Comment

I'm curious, i had a worker's comp case about 6 years ago when I broke my arm. If by some weird chance it gets injured again, and it's because of the original break, but it happens somewhere other than work, would they cover it? I still have my paperwork from that time.

It's not injured btw I'm just curious.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                I'm curious, i had a worker's comp case about 6 years ago when I broke my arm. If by some weird chance it gets injured again, and it's because of the original break, but it happens somewhere other than work, would they cover it? I still have my paperwork from that time.

It's not injured btw I'm just curious.
                I'm not an expert on these things. I think that if you have a WC injury, and you have an extension of that original injury, it might be covered. However, if you reinjure something off the job, I don't think that's covered. Basically, if it's going to be a chronic ongoing problem, you have to apply for disability.

I know I've injured my back several times on the job, but I don't recall that benefits ever carried over.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  I'm not an expert on these things. I think that if you have a WC injury, and you have an extension of that original injury, it might be covered. However, if you reinjure something off the job, I don't think that's covered. Basically, if it's going to be a chronic ongoing problem, you have to apply for disability.

I know I've injured my back several times on the job, but I don't recall that benefits ever carried over.
                  Yeah it's not that chronic anymore....it used to hurt in the cold and just on random days, and my hand would give me trouble (nerve damage). But I was thinking more of an acute situation. Luckily I haven't fallen since and I'm very careful how I treat that arm.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X