This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BF is preparing to go into surgery

His appointment for his first surgery is the 28th. They are going to cut his heel in half, move part of it over 1/4 inch and screw it in place. 6-8 weeks recovery time, and then do it on the other foot. 6-8 weeks recovery time then PT. He's kinda freaking out about it, and so am I, but for different reasons.

I understand freaking about it. Maybe this will help; maybe it will sound trite: they aren't going near his internal organs. That seems riskier than doing a limb.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ok, having just had heel surgery (not too his degree, but still), let your BF know that I'm sending good thoughts his way. I can understand being anxious. I was, and my surgery was fairly simple.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Sending well wishes his way, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
        my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
        it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Good luck and I wish him well with his PT and recovery.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            Ok, having just had heel surgery (not too his degree, but still), let your BF know that I'm sending good thoughts his way. I can understand being anxious. I was, and my surgery was fairly simple.
            Hopefully a short (timewise) surgery?
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The biggest challenge BF will have will be to keep off the affected foot. It's harder than it sounds. We're hardwired to walk on two feet, not one. It's easy to lose your balance walking on one foot.

Tip 1: When using crutches, take it SLOW. It's really easy for your feet to swing up and out from under you, landing you on your ass. Ouch.

Tip 2: Set up things within easy reach. It's such a pain to get up and down, try to do it as little as possible.

Tip 3: Make sure you have everything in the house and available for at least a week post op. I forgot cat food for Taz, and she's not happy. Luckily a friend is coming to the rescue!

Tip 4: If someone offers to give you rides, or bring you stuff, don't turn them down, especially at first.

Tip 5: If your insurance covers a knee walker, get one. I was able to borrow one, and I don't know how I'd manage in the kitchen without it. It's much easier to get around on than crutches. If you can afford it, buy one used or rent one.

Tip 6: Don't play iron man with your pain meds. Take 'em BEFORE you are in absolute agony. Call your doc if they don't work.

Tip 7: Follow all doctor instructions, especially for PT, to the letter.

My ex father in law shattered his shoulder in a motorcycle accident. They didn't think he'd get full range of motion in his shoulder back. He worked hard on the PT and eventually had a near complete recovery.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well I work from home so plan on waiting on him hand and foot. I only want him getting up to use the restroom! I will take care of meals, grocery shopping, laundry, dishes, etc. I plan on doing my best to keep him occupied and off his feet.

Comment

Working...
                X