Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's weird that something acidic cures my reflux instantly: vinegar. It goes down yucky, though. Tea gives me reflux because of the tannins in it.

I'm currently limiting starches/sugars. But what can I *not* eat? Xylitol, apparently. Too much and there's trouble down below. I had to do laundry 'cause of that. (Can you tell I don't embarrass easily?)
    Last edited by Food Lady; 06-03-2014, 03:26 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      But what can I *not* eat? Xylitol, apparently. Too much and there's trouble down below. I had to do laundry 'cause of that.
      The "sugar alcohols" (Xylitol and Sorbitol are in this group) tend to have a laxative effect when eaten in large amounts. If you want a few laughs, look up the review on Amazon for sugar-free gummy bears.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Gluten, seafood, and lactose.

Seafood makes me sick to my stomach. Lactose just makes my digestive system unhappy. Gluten fucks with everything. I'm more likely to have a panic attack, have "digestive problems" (yes, that one is an innuendo), gas (not farting, though that too, the kind where you debate going to the emergency room because you're pretty sure you're going to explode), headaches. My arthritic pain begins to "travel" up my leg and to my other leg... it's so much fun. Best part is that unless you make the food yourself (which isn't practical 100% of the time when you have college/work, and can't eat a lot of the quick foods you'd pack like freaking sandwiches) you're bound to get gluten'd by some "gluten-free" stuff once in a while. Chex mix cereal got me earlier this week.
        Last edited by Cooper; 06-04-2014, 01:12 AM. Reason: expanding

Comment

All I could think of was that Saturday Night Live commercial: "Oops, I crapped my pants!" Oh, and the Colon Blow cereal, too.

Comment

For some reason, almonds, eaten in amounts of greater than 5 or 6, will cause my stomach to cramp. This only started happening about 3 years ago. I used to eat almonds off of the tree in my neighbors back yard when I was a kid and I was fine. I love almonds too

Comment

Like other posters I have a gluten sensitivity.

Being part-Asian, I have to limit the alcohol I drink as I lack one of the enzymes needed to break down one of the toxins in alcohol.

Gotta love that 'Asian Glow'.

After my first few sips (usually of wine or a hard liquor), I spend a half hour extolling the virtues of alcohol and exclaiming to anyone who will listen, "I should drink EVERYDAY!"

Once I actually finish my drink, my head gets heavier, my breathing is somewhat constricted and I start saying things like, "ugh...what was I thinking?"

And then I have some kind of weird amnesia and do it all over again.

Comment

No more Fruitopia for me.

Turns out that Fruitopia Strawberry Passion Awareness gives me big gas and WAY too many bladder urges. So it's a no-go.

I'm back to chugging low-acid apple juice.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I break out in a rash if I eat too much citrus.

My brother called me to figure out why my nephew was having a food allergy; he'd eliminated everything but citrus and wanted to know if people could be allergic to it. He was surprised to hear I was sensitive to it; he was too young to remember. Nephew loves orange juice. He can still have it, just not in large quantities like he used to.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I can't eat cheese as it clogs me up something terrible. Did I mention that I love cheese?

I also can't eat grapes, which I also love, as I end up with toothache in every tooth in my head. Strangely I can eat sultanas and raisins, but I can't drink wine. I was the only person in my year who went from tee-total to hard spirits when I got old enough to drink.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Right now, I can't eat much of anything that isn't soft, due to recent dental work. (sigh)

When a PBJ tastes WONDERFUL because it's the most substantial thing you've eaten in three days, it's not a good week. Meal shakes are not that satisfying, really.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• For me it's cherries, plums, nectarines, apricots, peaches, and as of last night jackfruit (which is a down right shame because jackfruit's an amazingly tasty fruit that I had never tried before) due to food allergies but only when they're raw. If they get processed in anyway such as being dried or cooked I can eat them (not that I have any clue as to why that is)

Comment

• Quoth ChynaRose View Post
                          If they get processed in anyway such as being dried or cooked I can eat them (not that I have any clue as to why that is)
                          Because that's all it takes to denature the proteins involved. Perhaps you've heard that pineapple chunks can keep gelatin from setting. That's only true for fresh pineapple; canned pineapple has generally been pasteurized, and that's enough to disrupt the bromelain. Similarly, it would seem that the allergens in the fruits you mentioned are vulnerable to that process.

Comment

• I just found out I can't have too much sugar alcohol....the hard way. This review is reminiscent of what I went through Monday night: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3FTHSH...R3FTHSH0UNRHOH

Comment

• I get big cramps if I drink pureed fruit. Bear in mind that I also take three herbal laxatives because my bladder medications and the iron pills that I take cause constipation. So add pureed fruit to the mix and you get soft stools/diarrhea and major cramps that ibuprofen alone cannot fix.

It would have to be a mixture of ibuprofen and TUMs, and the pain doesn't go away until you burp or fart or poop it out.
                              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

• Found out the hard way in high school: I'm allergic to coconut! Note that movie dates that end in the emergency room REALLY SUCK.

It's not too big a deal, except that, to my brother's disappointment, I cannot eat Thai food. (Nor can my mother--it seems to run in the family.) Another no-no was one I never considered: Oreos. (The filling uses coconut oil.)

Comment

Working...
                                X