This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dogs means... no dogs

I'm unlurking for this sigh-enducing encounter and a little bit of rant. Background info: I'm a receptionist at a drug and alcohol rehab. Italiacs is thoughts.

Mom, dad, brother, and soon-to-be-patient come in, sign in, and mom starts asking me if their little dog can wait in the building with them, since they came from <6 hour drive according to google maps. they probably took a LOT longer, considering traveling with dog>.

Me: I'm sorry, we have a strict no animals in the building, he can is allowed to be outside though.

Mom: But your website says its you have pet therapy!!

Me: That's only those specific animals, who are licensed and have had paperwork ma'am, he can't be inside. And we haven't had them in the building for a very long time, after a growling issue. And your dog has no service jacket.

Mom: But he's a rescue dog! Can't he be inside with us?

Me: I can call down a supervisor, but I can't make any promises. Of course the only one in the building not in group is the one who's impossible to find. In the mean time, he does need to be outside.

Mom: Does the supervisor like dogs?

Me: I believe he has dogs ma'am - we all love animals here, that's not the issue. It's that it would make the patients miss their dogs, and that's not fair to them. Not to mention allergies, and who knows if this dog is aggressive, etc etc

......lo and behold, supervisor says: no dogs!
    They ended up having mom/dad/brother rotate being outside with dog, while the rest waited inside with patient. About 30min later, all the patients were out of group, and many wander near the lobby.

I get that bringing someone to treatment is stressful, nerve wrecking, and an overall nightmare. But would you bring a non-service dog to a hospital (without first calling)?

Bonus shorts:
    If your loved one is unconscious in the car when you're bringing them to our admissions... please don't be surprised when we send you to the ER. We can't evaluate them if they can't answer any questions.

If I ask you to park your car, I'm not really asking you, I'm politely telling you that you need to park. This does not mean you can negotiate for your vehicle to be in the way if we need an ambulance. This counts doubly if you're coming for admissions (which means you'll be staying a while).

Don't be surprised if I look at you suspiciously when your car has been idling outside my front door for 15 minutes before you enter the building. That is suspicious behavior. People have been known to smuggle things.

But would you bring a non-service dog to a hospital (without first calling)?
    I think the mentality here is along the lines of, "Well, they can't just tell us to turn around and take him back home, now can they? He's already here -- They won't have a choice!"
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In a similar vein......I'm a case manager in a community Corrections facility. Some of the clients have been smuggling the stray cats into their rooms and sleeping with them. Nothing like bringing fleas into your bed, right? I'm sure your 3-8 OTHER room mates appreciate the flea infestation.

Comment

Working...
      X