X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Coming Up

More fun with doctors, IOW.

Last November, my appointment w/the gynocologist was cancelled when she called roughly an hour and a half before I was set to be there and had just found out I was supposed to come in and why.

Turned out we had tried the low dose birth control in October (started on them the first week of the month, while I was on vacation) and had to stop taking them on advice of one of the nurses I contacted online - I was having migraines off and on for 3 days by that point.

Anyways, she thought it would be better just to go ahead and set up for a surgical procedure called Endomoterial Ablation as soon as possible to get the bleeding to stop (which although I was on the Megestrol, I was still having on and off again bleeding) and then we could try some different medications to try to alieviate the other symptoms (mood swings, hot flashes, et al.)

I tell her to go ahead and set it up and I would arrange for the time off from work. Letter came about a week later and the date she had set up was for December 22. The week of Christmas is not going to work (and I'm still filing in for Ma doing the price changes and it's also the week of Christmas and Grasshopper cannot spare me that week as it is) so I called the scheduling nurse that afternoon and asked for the surgery to be rescheduled for January (I also have sick time that rolls over again in January and I would need to use some of that to cover my lost hours for that week.)

Letter came in right after Christmas with a date of January 19th (which is day after tomorrow) at 10:15 a.m. Talked to Grasshopper about it and he said to just remind him and he and Germ would make sure that everything was covered while I was out (only need 3 days off - day of the procedure and 2 days after, according to my doctor.)

Reminded both of them last week and offered to come in today to work a few hours to get signs and/or tags ready for the week, but was turned down (Grasshopper has pretty tight hours this week so Sunday was out. I'll just use a day of my last 40 hours of vacation time instead and then use 2 sick days to cover the hours - just need to remind Rochelle when I go back in on Friday.) Which was probably just as well, as we had some SNOW this morning.

Mostly powdery stuff and just enough to dust everything but now it's mostly gone. Good thing I didn't try to go to work, or go out shopping w/Mom as we were planning (need new khakis for work, as I have one pair I can squeeze into and they are starting to unravel, so next weekend we'll have to make a run to Ollie's to see if they have any more men's pants, as they are wide enough in the leg for my liking and they are only 12 bucks a pair, but I digress.)

Then week before last, I get a letter from the Breast Center to reschedule my mammogram update (have dense tissue on right breast and they wanted to set up another visit for 6 months from my previous visit last July.) First afternoon appointment they had was for the 18th at 3:15 (tomorrow at that.) And I know my doctor will not want me putting that off, either so I went ahead and set up that visit.

Last Monday I got a call from the surgery department letting me know they had to rearrange the surgery schedule and that I have been moved up to 7:30 a.m. This means I have to report by 6 a.m Tuesday morning but the bright side I should be leaving around 10 or shortly after.

Got that out of the way, then Wednesday morning another lady called from the hospital to update contact and insurance information. Took less than 10 minutes to do that. Thursday afternoon I had to go for my pre-op consult with the nurse, which took not quite an hour.

So I'll go in tomorrow, but have to leave by 2:30 so I can make my appointment for the mammogram, then go early to the hospital Tuesday morning (have to use a special surgical soap the night before and that morning before I leave, wash the sheets Monday evening so they are freshly clean and throw the kitties out for the night) and get this procedure over with.

At least I'll get a 3 day break from work. Just hope we don't get that 1-3 inches of snow the forecasters are talking about Thursday night/Friday morning so I can get back to work.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Good luck. I don't know what the procedure feels like but I've heard it can really help.

Comment

I hope everything went well, DGoddess...
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Update . . .

Yes, the surgery went fine. Got to the hospital a bit early, actually (check in time was at 6 a.m. - Mom and I got there around 5:35) so we spent some time parked near the entrance and chatted about whatever until around 5:50, when I decided maybe I'd better go on inside and get this over with.

Went to the front desk, guy who was manning it asked if I was checking in for sugery, to which I answered yes. He pointed to the phone and told me to call the extention on the phone receiver and let them know.

No sooner did I call and go to sit down, a nurse came out and called me. Got to a small room in the pre-op area, had vitals checked, handed a urine specimen cup and went to the adjacent bathroom to take care of that and change into the surgical gown.

And the neat thing about these surgical gowns is that (aside from the fact that they were the same shade of light purple as my nails) is that they have openings (one near the left shoulder and one near the right lower abdominal area) that connect to a hose that is part of a small heater mounted on the wall (it's called the Bair Paws system) which keeps the patient warm before surgery (I was told that there is another one inside the surgical suite that is used during surgery.)

Considering it was a whopping 14 degrees Farenheit outside when I came into that place, I really enjoyed that warm air blowing on me inside that gown.

And they have leg wraps that massage your legs during the surgery to help prevent blood clots as well . . . those things felt like heaven.

And in the meanwhile, the anethestiologist came by and went over some stuff, my doctor made it by and we went over a few things as well. The the nurses came back w/the anethesiologist (sp?) and I got the face mask on me. A few breaths of of that stuff and I was drifting on off to sleep. . .

Knew nothing else until I came to in recovery, some time later. Felt a bit nauseated and was starting to cramp. Nurse came and gave me some medicine in my IV, which brought it down from about a 7 to nearly 3. Munched on some ice chips and dozed off and on until I felt less foggy and watched a few others being brought into the area until the nurse came back and let me sit up.

Got to go around the corner to get changed back into my clothes, sat down in a lounge chair and had some coffee and munched on a pack of graham crackers while the nurse went to call Mom (who was on standby at home) and get the paperwork from the doctor ready (had a script to drop off at the drug store and one already waiting for pickup by that time.) Listened to tv and sent a text to Christina (one of my coworkers) to let her know how everything went and started feeling nauseated again. Got more medicine in my IV just as Mom called on my phone to let me know she was outside. I told her it would be a few more minutes as I'd just gotten some medicine to kill the nausea and had just gotten the pain meds (nurse also brought me a Percocet to take before I left as well.)

Finally was wheeled out front to the car around 10:45 or so . . . went by Biscuitville and got something to drink (didn't feel much like eating, so I got a diet Pepsi) went home and put myself to bed for awhile. Barely remember my brother coming into the room and leaving a bag from the drugstore on the bed.

Went to check on Mom and saw she had messed up her right arm and shoulder. Turned out she fell after she'd gotten home earlier after dropping me off at the hospital and had to call 911 for the fire department to come help her get into her wheelchair (my brother cannot lift our Mom) and a paramedic checked her over, but it was so cold out at the time Mom couldn't feel anything so she thought she was okay - just bruised up a bit.

*And, on a separate note totally unrelated, Gidget popped up here on the desk to say "Hi" and jumped over to the top of the fireplace, where she's now watching tv*

Anyway, Wednseday I was feeling better . . . still cramping a little bit. I only had one Percocet on Tuesday evening and one of the 600mg Ibuprofen on Tuesday afternoon late. Other than that, I've been taking my regular meds (400mg Etodolac and my 50mg of Tramadol) and I've got the rest of the other stuff on the nightstand (Mom might need it later, so it's on standby.) Called the doctor's office to set up the 2 week followup, which is scheduled for Feb. 4th.

Felt up to getting some light housework done, so it was run laundry and get out the Swiffers and did some dusting in the office and bedroom. Also stripped the bed and washed the sheets and remade the bed. Went to Wallyworld after Mom's soaps went off at 2 to pick up what we needed for the pets, as well as enough groceries to get us through the then impending snow storm (currently in progress) and to carry us through next week (next payday is the 3rd of Feburary) and made a quick run to the vape shop for liqiud.

Got home right after 5, it had started snowing while we were inside (Mom called us from the car just to tell us it had started snowing but insisted we take our time and make sure we got what we needed and asked for a couple of extra things that weren't on my list that I'd made out that morning) fixed dinner, took a shower and went to bed.

Called my ass manager, Germ, yesterday and let him know I was still alive and that I would need an extra day off and I would be back on Monday. He told me he'd pass it on to Grasshopper and they'd do what they needed to (what a sweetie, when he's not a stinker )

Mom's arm and shoulder were bothering her more, she couldn't raise her arm up but less than halfway, so I insisted she at least go to the hospital to get it checked out. After her soaps went off, she relented and called 911 and went. I went about getting the rest of the laundry done and checked on the crock pot (put together a batch of spaghetti sauce earlier that morning) while she was gone and rested in front of the fireplace, watching tv w/the phone nearby.

Finally heard from her right before 5 - she was getting ready to come home. She'd called a friend of ours to come pick her up and they'd be there soon. Got to the kitchen and was starting to get the pasta on when they finally came in. And we got Richard to stay for dinner (we don't get to see him often as it is) and Mom told us there was no broken bones (thankfully) but that she had pulled the muscles in her lower arm and her arm and wrist were badly bruised. She's been given a brace to wear while her arm is recovering and is supposed to call an orthopedic (the doctor's name and number are on the paperwork she was given from the ED) for a folow up in a couple of weeks (getting her to actually do that may be a different story.)

So now instead of her taking care of me (which Mom said was her original plan) it turned out to be ME taking care of her (she has to call my brother to come help her up off the bed and back onto the bed when she has to get up right now.)

I'll be glad to get back to work on Monday . . . maybe I can get some rest.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Glad to hear that you are OK. Hope your mom is better soon.

Heated surgical gowns. What will they think of next. My hospital still use the blanket heater. It does feel nice to have a couple of those piled on top of you.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Glad recovery seems to be going well for you.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            And the neat thing about these surgical gowns is that (aside from the fact that they were the same shade of light purple as my nails) is that they have openings (one near the left shoulder and one near the right lower abdominal area) that connect to a hose that is part of a small heater mounted on the wall (it's called the Bair Paws system) which keeps the patient warm before surgery (I was told that there is another one inside the surgical suite that is used during surgery.)

And they have leg wraps that massage your legs during the surgery to help prevent blood clots as well . . . those things felt like heaven.
            I had a procedure done last March and they had both the heated gown and the massage wraps as well. It was wonderful. I'd requested to be awake for the procedure as it was one where they could let me. I tend to have a rough time waking up after being knocked out for surgery (past experience with both wisdom teeth removal and C-section; it takes me a good 3 days to not be super-groggy), and I still nearly nodded off it was so comfortable.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post

I had a procedure done last March and they had both the heated gown and the massage wraps as well. It was wonderful. I'd requested to be awake for the procedure as it was one where they could let me. I tend to have a rough time waking up after being knocked out for surgery (past experience with both wisdom teeth removal and C-section; it takes me a good 3 days to not be super-groggy), and I still nearly nodded off it was so comfortable.
              The only other time I was put to sleep was last fall, when I had a colonoscopy and I had no problems waking up, other than a terribly dry mouth.

This time, the cramping started within seemed like a few minutes, the dry mouth and slight nausea. Once I was able to get home to my own bed and sleep for pretty much the rest of the afternoon, I was fairly decent.

Also, at home I have the Pasquinel Heating System in addition to my electric blanket.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                Also, at home I have the Pasquinel Heating System in addition to my electric blanket.
                I love those bonus heating systems. Haven't had one in years.

Here's hoping your recovery is swift and uneventful.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Is Pasquinel the name of a canine family member?
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    Is Pasquinel the name of a canine family member?
                    Pasquinel is a feline (canine is Abby.)

Not sure why the photo is showing up upside down. . . .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awwwww, cute kitty! Heating systems of the feline persuasion are the best!

A had that done about 12 years ago! No more bleeding! YAY! *happy dance*
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Having been through that surgery myself, I can tell you that it's extremely important to get as much rest as you possibly can, especially since you're going back to work soon. Keep horizontal as often as you are able. Get well soon!

Comment

Agreed, cute kitty!!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                          X