This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear infections are the worst

Our tale begins roughly a month ago when I crawled into a doc-in-the-box. At the time, I'd had a sore throat and cough for about a week and none of my usual remedies were helping. I had a choir performance coming up so it was time to head in and make sure it wasn't strep. Came out with good news and bad news. Good news, it wasn't strep. Bad news, it was the start of an ear infection. They sent me off with a prescription for amoxicillin and I went on my merry way.

I took the first dose that night before bed and by morning I was feeling much better. I finished the regiment and thought all was well.

.....For a little while anyway.

Last week I felt it coming back. The amoxicillin knocked out most of it, but then the survivors came back angry. I think that's genetic for me because I rarely take antibiotics so I haven't built up a resistance to it, and amoxicillin doesn't work on my mom either. One of the NPs at work was kind enough to write me a script for Keflex, a slightly stronger antibiotic. I took the first dose of that around lunch time and another right before bed. I also took some NyQuil to deal with some allergy issues.

As it turns out, whatever was taking up residence in my ears merely laughed at the Keflex and decided to punish me for trying to get rid of it. I woke up in the middle of the night in a lot of pain. Honestly I don't think labor was as bad as this earache (then again, epidurals are a wonderful thing, so I didn't even feel the worst parts of labor, lol). It woke me up through the NyQuil, which has a similar effect on me as some people have with Benadryl; it knocks me the fark out. I also couldn't hear out of one ear at all, so at that point I had Mr Jedi call my mom to come over and stay with Minion while he drove me to the ER (I was definitely in no condition to drive between the pain and my balance being completely farked up from the ear infection).

The ER doc described my ears as "really bad" and called me in a script for Cefdinir and some ear drops for pain relief. Unfortunately for me, the ear drops have been discontinued and all the pharmacies around me had depleted their backstocks and don't have anything similar. Now I'm super grateful the little voice in my head told me to fill the percocet prescription I got when I had Minion even though I never took any. One of those magical little pills was a lifesaver that night.

I've been on the Cefdinir for 3 or 4 days now and I'm feeling almost back to normal. Within the first 24 hours the pain had pretty much subsided unless I was up doing too much. My hearing was a little slower to even out, but it's almost back where it should be as well. I haven't had an ear infection since I was a kid, and even then it was never as bad as this one. And from now on I'm gonna tell any doctor or NP prescribing me antibiotics to not even bother with amoxicillin and go straight for the big guns.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Sounds like what I went through a few weeks ago, except yours is 1000 times worse! The amoxicillin did seem to knock out my ear infection, though some of the side effects continued for several weeks.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I had so many when I was a kid and a couple of years ago I ended up with infections in both ears. Luckily I respond well to antibiotics. I can't imagine going through what you did--bad enough to end up in the ER--and having to deal with being a mommy. I'm surprised they didn't give you some kind of oral pain med like Vicodin or tramadol or such if you couldn't get drops. I mean, the med doesn't necessarily have to go in one's ear. It needs to hit the brain. idk; I'm not a doctor.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

A LOT of ear infections and strep are now resistant to amoxicillin. Very sad, because when my kids were small, it knocked them right out, but now, not at all. Just prolongs the misery for the sufferer.

Comment

Working...
        X