This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God for HSAs.....

My daughter might be lactose intolerant. Not sure, but after she has milk or ice cream she gets sick. She's staying with my parents as I had to relocate about 800 miles away. (She will be joining me the end of the month).

So, it's time for her yearly physical, and my mom mentions our suspicions to her doctor. Doctor agrees, and says OK, rather than putting her thru going to an allergist and getting tested, let's just do a blood test. OK, fine.

So, off they traipse across the street to the hospital. (Now this hospital was just bought out in January, they closed it as a hospital, and it's just a lab slash urgent care facility. Whole towns pissed over the whole deal, it was announced as fate accompli, deal with it. Given the town raised the money in the first place to build it 50 years ago, feelings are a little high, ya know?) Nobody we know has been there yet, haven't heard anything good or bad yet. They take a few vials of blood, no big deal. It's a limited scope test just looking for a few things. So, life is good.

Until yesterday. I get the bill, which has the lovely note that I've already been billed, and I need to pay this asap. She was just there May 25th. I haven't seen anything else from them, and the amount alone is making me hit the roof. What's pissing me off even more is the explanation of benefits from my insurance. Their bill says I owe $1100 And then the explanation of benefits says the original charge was $2500.

This is for a limited scope test that should not have been anywhere near that much. Only reason I'm not getting hit for the full $2500 is my insurance called bulls##t.

I'm calling her doctor tomorrow so she knows how much they charge. It's a little town with a higher than average unemployment rate. With the hospital firing 90% of the staff and a few other major employers closing, not many people have anything to fall back on. Main reason I moved 800 miles for a job.

Like the title says, thank God I have a health spending account, and I've been saving up for major dental work. Still, drained my account big time for this little adventure.

If they've already taken the money out of the HSA account, then, even if the insurance co says the charge is ridiculous/should be much less, my guess is this place has no intention of paying you back x.x This is hardly some obscure/rare test that your average lab wouldn't have exotic materials ready for. Talk to whomever you need to at InsuranceCo to see what they can do.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Why would you do blood tests for lactose intolerance? Grab some Lactaid, take a couple of pills with dairy and see what happens. If it clears it up then it's intolerance if not then you either up the dosage or consider yourself allergic.

If I don't take Lactaid I get the runs and the worst gas and bloating imaginable.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I have an HSA and I have to manually pay the bills, it is NOT automatic. I would NEVER do auto pay on a medical bill, for just this reason!

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that they took the money automatically. The way the bill was phrased was that my account was delinquent, and I owed them the money asap. Before that bill I had never seen anything. Total shock to get a nasty demand for payment for a bill that's outrageous.

And yes, had I had any clue this would be so high, we would have just skipped the test and just gave her lactose free milk. We just were trying to document it so if her new school gave us grief over her not drinking milk at school there was a proven medical reason.

On the plus side, she's been drinking the lactose free stuff since, and is fine.

Comment

Working...
          X