This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety and migraines do not mix well

I thought I could possibly be having a heart attack. They say you should get help, don't take a chance. So I called 911.

The last time I had a migraine was 15 years ago. That was before I lost my brother to a sudden heart attack, and before I had diabetes, so I didn't associate what was going on last night with migraine, I just well full-on omgwhatshappeningisthisaheartattackomg

End result: I already had an appt with my regular doc tomorrow so now we will be talking about what to do in the event of a migraine and should I see a neurologist. I am tired tired tired, feel like a fool because this is the second time anxiety sent me to the hospital, and even though it was a legit problem, headache, nausea, textbook case, they are rare for me so what am I complaining about? And I feel like nobody cares, which is stupid.

What's that expression? Oh yeah. Fuck my life.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 07-31-2016, 10:47 PM.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Don't feel foolish; a possible heart attack is a definite emergency.

I had to practically force my then-girlfriend to go to the ER a few years ago because she was displaying many of the symptoms of heart attack but was pulling the "I'll be fine" crap. No, you won't be, let's go to the hospital.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I've gone to the ER with chest pain. They did a cardiac enzyme test and x-rays (those because I told them it was a possibility it was my spine). It did turn out to be my spine. But I don't mess around with chest or upper back pain.
      I've had some really terrible headaches lately I think might be migraines. Or clusters. The symptoms seem like cluster headaches. I need to see my doc so I can learn how to head one off at the pass. I just need to know what kind it is.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

they are rare for me so what am I complaining about?
        Something that give you pain, and is disrupting your life. Doesn't matter if it's "rare", it HURTS. Besides, having whatever the source issue is taken care of will keep them rare, which is the whole point!
        And I feel like nobody cares, which is stupid.
        I wouldn't say that. We're all here for ya! ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You did exactly the right thing Mooncat. It is better to safe than sorry. Even if it wasn't a heart attack it could have been something else. Also women present very differently from men for heart attacks. I also agree with EricKei. We care!!!

Comment

Just think of how foolish you'd feel if it actually were a heart attack and you didn't go to the hospital?

Seriously, you did the right thing. And the migranes being rare is a sign that you have been doing other things right as well. Keep up the good fight! And a good talk with a good doc will cue you in to what your symptoms can be, and you will be better able to judge what is going on if there ever is a next time. (And we all hope there is not!!)
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Thank you everybody, I feel better now.

Doc has suggested magnesium might be a good supplement. I'm going to research it a bit first. I also have an appt with a counselor to help me deal with the stress. There is an issue which is not going to go away soon and I was pretty sure it was going to make me ill - just didn't think it would be this. (I'll write about the issue later, it's a work thing; not ready to talk about it yet).

Comment

I don't recall off the top of my head whether you have stated what your living arrangements are, but based on what you said, it sounds like you were alone at the time. Calling 911 was a good move. If you had collapsed on the floor, who knows how long you could have remained there. Who knows what you might have hit on the way down.

I can understand that it feels embarrassing now that you know what the problem was. What you don't know is what might have happened if you did not call 911.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope you can find a way to keep it from happening again. Good luck with the "yet to be named work thing", whatever it is.
                Last edited by csquared; 08-02-2016, 12:14 AM. Reason: Typo
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've got to the ER for a panic attack, thinking it was a stroke. I was told by the ER staff that they'd rather I came in for that, because it'd have been a lot worse than if I'd had just assumed it was a panic attack when it really was a stroke, especially has as I have a family history of strokes.

I also suffer from migraines, some of which are bad enough that I wish was in the ER.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I live with my two sisters, but they sleep upstairs, and my room is downstairs. Going up the stairs seemed like a bad idea at first, because if it was a heart attack, well...obvious reason is obvious.

Then, being the crazy person I am, I did go upstairs to alert one of them because I know she doesn't keep her phone on, plus she could sleep in the midst of a marching band full of tubas. I really wasn't thinking very clearly though.

My blood pressure was fine. I also had an EKG at the doc's on Monday; need to check on the results of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X