This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typing w/a brace is HARD

My right hand and wrist are achy . . . throbbing pain off and on for the last month or so. I also have noticed a small bump on top of the wrist bone.

After about a month of this, I called my sports doc, Dr. K, on Tuesday and got an appointment booked for this past Friday afternoon.

Get there a few minutes early, find they have now updated to several check in kiosks in the waiting area (my gynocologist office has a similar setup) I check in, scan in my newest insurance card, go take a seat.

Get called to the counter, take a clipboard and fill out the paperwork and turn it in. More waiting. It's just after 3 (my appointment time was 3 pm) and finally about 10 after I'm called to go to the back.

I tell the PA what's going on, she jots down everything. No, I didn't injure it, it came on suddenly. It really bothers me when I'm trying to lift something and turn my wrist, though (I demonstrated by trying to pickup my handbag) She got the hint, left the room and came back a couple of minutes later.

Went down the hall and had some X-Rays taken to see what could be found. Go back to the exam room and wait for an eternity for Dr. K to finally come in and tell me what he's seen on the pics.

Turns out, he's found out it was some type of tendinitis (some fancy name that start's with a Q) that affects the tendon that connects the thumb to the hand. I also have a cyst on the bone. So we decide to go with a cortosteroid injection to help w/inflammation but first he wants an ultrasound, which we set up for Thursday afternoon (it's too hard for me to get away from work during the morning hours) and from there we'll get the shot done and go from there. He left and then the PA came back w/a thumb/wrist brace for me to wear in the meanwhile. And he wrote a new script for my pain meds that I've been taking for my back . . . we'll keep the meds I'm on the same (tramadol and the etodolac for the inflammation that I've been on for 3 years now.)

The brace itself isn't too bad . . . it actually feels like it's helping. I've even slept in it for the past 2 nights and it's not uncomfortable . . . just a little bulky when trying to do certain things. I still have to take it off to wash dishes or clean up after the kitties, though (don't want the brace getting dirty or stinky) but otherwise I"m noticing now that if I have it off for more than a few minutes, my wrist starts to throb again.

Gonna be fund tomorrow trying to work with this thing on. At least I can sign my name w/my left hand still . . . .of course I'm having to take the thing off so I can type, other wise I'd still be pecking on this post.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

De Quervain's tenosynovitis? I've had that, still have the brace. Mine resolved itself once the inflammation subsided. Sending "get well quick" vibes for you.

Comment

Try raising your chair to change the angle your hands make versus the keyboard. (FYI typing at a bad angle can cause or aggravate RSI.)

Comment

If you put a bit in the brace it won't hit as many keys.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Taz View Post
          De Quervain's tenosynovitis? I've had that, still have the brace. Mine resolved itself once the inflammation subsided. Sending "get well quick" vibes for you.
          That's what Dr. K called it.

It's doing quite a bit better .. . .and yes, I still use the brace at work when I'm stocking or pulling product from the shelf to check dates (if I'm just at the computer checking in a delivery, I'll usually have it off, it's still stuffy hot back there.)

I did go back to the doctor's office a week ago Thursday . . . . was there less than 30 minutes, had a quick scan w/the ultrasound machine, a shot of cortisone and I was sent back out the door.

And when I need to ice it, I just walk into the frozen food freezer at work for a couple of minutes. Or if I have an ice delivery, just walk into the back of the trailer and rest my wrist against a pallet of ice bags for a minute while the driver is putting the delivery away in the freezer.

Be interesting to see how it does this coming week: Ma's on vacation again and I'm handling the price changes.
          Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 08-28-2016, 07:23 PM. Reason: left out something . . . also the "s" key is sticking on my keyboard
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

A moosickal theme...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You have my sympathies. Reminds me of last Fall when my right hand/wrist was messed up for well over a month due to tendonitis. Would have been fixed much sooner if the doc had thought sooner to give me what I finally DID get in the end: an anti-inflammatory that cleared it up in two days.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X