*sigh* Couldn't keep dodging that bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh* Couldn't keep dodging that bullet

It took two years, but I have finally caught covid (along with everyone else in the house). Tested positive a few days ago. Symptoms seem to be pretty much in line with omicron, and we've all been vaccinated so it should just mean a week or two of feeling pretty bleh (and in quarantine, got a sign posted on the front door and everything). We've got more test kits ordered, should be here around the time we're potentially able to come out of quarantine (which, yes, will only be after EACH of us has got two negative tests in a row). Pretty sure we caught it off friends we went to visit (who REALLY should have told us they'd been sick right before that visit, especially since we've had it scheduled for well over a month but they DIDN'T tell us until we were already in their house. And of COURSE neither of them are vaccinated, and I know damn well they're both normally pretty intelligent people. Or I thought they were. Now I'm having doubts). People are so stupid.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

I am sorry. May you all recover quickly.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Same here. May you get better soon, and with a minimum of bad stuff.

Reminds me of my brother and his family's recent vacation, just before XMAS. They all spent the afternoon with our aunt before she thought to mention that she had tested positive the day before. Not malicious, in her case, just flighty. It does not surprise me at all that she didn't think to cancel the planned visit. Fortunately, she didn't pass it on to them.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Aw, Kittish, I hope you and yours all recover quickly and thoroughly, with no lingering effects.

Just FYI, USPS is sending out free COVID tests: https://www.covidtests.gov Limit one 4-pack for each household.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thank you all for the well wishes. We've ordered a set of those free kits, should be here pretty close to when we can look at coming out of quarantine.

Oh, and for anyone who's never experienced it, food and drinks with no flavor are weird. My sense of smell is completely gone. My sense of taste is mostly gone. I can sort of taste sweet, salty, and to a lesser extent bitter and sour. Literally flavorless orange juice was a new experience. So was drinking black coffee that might as well have been hot water. Especially when I normally take cream and sugar in it. I keep trying to sniff things on automatic and being surprised to not get any input. Even though I couldn't smell anything from it, I couldn't overcome my developed aversion to strong booze and throw back a shot of whiskey. I did put a drop on my tongue, and could barely taste a trace of bitter. I could feel the alcohol fumes up in my sinuses, but there was no scent with them. I'm wondering if that's how most "normal" people experience vodka. I'm discovering that I'm okay with food textures, for the most part. Thank the gods.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My sense of smell (due to sinus issues) has never been all that hot to begin with, so I can't rely on that >_< Although, of course, I have no problem tasting stuff I don't like. Go figure.

That being said, I was helping out a couple friends yesterday. An hour or two ago, they called me to say that one of them fell ill with flu-like symptoms a few hours ago. So, gonna look into testing for myself tomorrow. Fun times.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I was able to get an instant test today, get results, and see my mom!! Her assisted living facility requires a negative test to come visit, and I haven't been able to find any tests here for over a week. I finally did today--it was good to see Mom.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                I was able to get an instant test today, get results, and see my mom!! Her assisted living facility requires a negative test to come visit, and I haven't been able to find any tests here for over a week. I finally did today--it was good to see Mom.
                Glad that you were able to visit her! I do hope that even with a negative test, you kept a mask on the whole time, for your mom's sake. Sure, it sucks, but it's such a small thing with such a huge potential effect, especially with someone more vulnerable to illnesses.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  That being said, I was helping out a couple friends yesterday. An hour or two ago, they called me to say that one of them fell ill with flu-like symptoms a few hours ago. So, gonna look into testing for myself tomorrow. Fun times.
                  Typically takes about 5 days from contact to test positive. Might want to book an appoint for a second test few more days out.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

cs - no dice. Pharmacies here (even at voldemart) have no take-home tests to sell and are not doing inhouse tests; not even the county dept of health is doing them right now. My doc's office will do them only if I'm symptomatic; thus, I haven't even gotten one test. On the upside, my friend felt better after 24 hours, so it was probably just the flu BUT I am still looking into getting a test anyway.

Comment

I'm thankful that I have friends in other provinces who have managed to procure a decent amount of the rapid tests and are sending some my way. Because of where I work and being high-risk I'm supposed to be testing on a regular basis, but you can't come by them in my province at all, and they will only test you if you have no less than three major symptoms. Ugh.

Comment

Woo hoo hoo!! Three of us are officially covid free at the current time. Just got to get a couple of good negatives for one more person and we can take the quarantine sign down from the door. I still can't taste much, and my sense of smell is VERY hit or miss. Some things I can smell a little, some I still can't smell at all.

Comment

So glad you all made it through. Let's hope you're totally okay.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Good to hear you made it through (more or less) OK!

Comment

For those that haven't experienced it, covid brain is totally a thing. It's weird to forget what you're doing in the middle of doing it. Didn't even have to get anywhere near a doorway, either. Orange juice has graduated to slightly sour thick water with bits in. I tried some ice cream last night and couldn't taste it at all, though. That made me sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X