I'm gonna be irradiated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna be irradiated

So ... post-surgery pathology is in. It wasn't cancer ... yet. But it was definitely heading that way.

The cancer it was turning into is apparently a very NON-aggressive type, which is also good news.

Surgeon believes she got it all (caught it very early so there wasn't much to get), but is scheduling me for radiation anyway, just to be on the safe side.

So I guess I get to be my own nightlight for a while ....
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Congratulations! I guess?

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hugz. Gentle ones. I'm glad that it wasn't too bad and that they caught it early. Wishing you continued success when it comes to all of that crap!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My wife had breast cancer several years ago. For her radiation therapy, they tattooed some dots on her chest so they would know where to aim the radiation machine for each treatment.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Let us know which super powers you wind up with!

I'm rooting for the "giving sucky customers splitting headaches" one, myself!!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm glad things are going well so far. I hope it continues to get better.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              Congratulations! I guess?

Good luck!
              Thank you. I'm pleased. It could have been SO much worse.

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Hugz. Gentle ones. I'm glad that it wasn't too bad and that they caught it early. Wishing you continued success when it comes to all of that crap!
              Thank you for the hugz! I'm glad it was caught early as well, although considering the type of cancer it is, I think it would've had to be ignored for a LONG time before it became a serious issue.

This is my second run-in with cancer. First one was three decades ago ... and it was ovarian cancer. And that IS deadly. I was very lucky there, as well: my family physician caught it in a routine annual checkup.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              My wife had breast cancer several years ago. For her radiation therapy, they tattooed some dots on her chest so they would know where to aim the radiation machine for each treatment.
              I assume she's doing well now, I hope?

Yes, I got the tattoos as well. I still have the tattoos from my last run-in with cancer ... one more and I can play connect-the-dots on my torso.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Let us know which super powers you wind up with!

I'm rooting for the "giving sucky customers splitting headaches" one, myself!!
              Actually, I've had VERY few sucky customers. I'll be happy to give corporate splitting headaches, though. This is a multi-billion-dollar corporation -- and they don't "do" paid sick leave for their employees. I have to file for standard unemployment to get anything for the weeks in which I was off work.

Quoth Ghel View Post
              I'm glad things are going well so far. I hope it continues to get better.
              Thank you. The only real worry I have about the radiation is that possible fatigue that I might suffer as it goes on. I've already given work the heads-up and they will accommodate me regarding my schedule, no problem.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                I assume she's doing well now, I hope?
                Yes, she has recovered quite well from the breast cancer.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Oh, Pix, I missed this. I'm not here often. I'm so glad they got it. Do they have you on any preventatives? My mom has something for some potential cells.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Yes, she has recovered quite well from the breast cancer.
                    Very glad to hear it!

I seem to have gotten some conflicting opinions on whether this was, or was not, actually cancer. You know how cancers are labelled Stage 1, Stage 2, etc? This one was ... Stage 0.
                    So ...

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Oh, Pix, I missed this. I'm not here often. I'm so glad they got it. Do they have you on any preventatives? My mom has something for some potential cells.
                    Thanks, Food Lady. I'm not sure what you mean by 'preventatives' ... I've had surgery and now am having radiation. The only real problem I'm encountering is the fatigue that is a normal part of getting radiation. I'm really REALLY tired much of the time. Luckily I don't have a family or even a cat at the moment to deal with ... so I can just snooze whenever I want to.
                    On the bright side, next week is my final week of radiation. (AND it's my second vacation week, so I don't have to work!!)

On the darker side ... my final day of treatment is Friday ...the 13th.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

The only real problem I'm encountering is the fatigue that is a normal part of getting radiation. I'm really REALLY tired much of the time.
                      Had my appointment today re-scheduled for 8:15 a.m. Afterwards went for a quick breakfast (with COFFEE) and came home and decided to lie down for a bit.

Woke up at 5:30 p.m.

~ Mr Hero

Comment

It's finally over. Had my last treatment today. And despite it being Friday the 13th, the machine did not fall on me.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm not sure the names of the drugs but they do something to keep the potential cancer cells from developing into cancer. My mom gets them because now her risk is higher. They hope that if she stays on certain meds, it'll mitigate the likelihood. I'm not entirely sure how they work.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                          X