This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive been gone so long...

..that I didnt know this forum existed ?!?! WHATT? When was this put here? Anyhow, I have a whopper of a tale.

As some may know, I work as an RN in a local hospital here. Our patient population has gotten increasing older and more confused so as you can imagine, stuff happens.

So, Im happily giving medications to a pleasant woman, making conversation when I hear my name being screamed from the hallway. I excuse myself and run up the hall, I can literally follow the screams to the room.

I enter the room and see the following: The nurse who called me is standing to the side watching a one legged patient putting the nurses aide in a headlock while simultaneously pulling out her hair.

So, this patient doesnt speak english which is why they called me, I start yelling in spanish she lets go. I get enough out of her to know shes veryyy confused and think shes in the street and needs to go home. I stay with her and calm her down and get the story.

What had happened was this: The aide, "Linda" went in to change her bed sheets b/c the patient had thrown her water at the nurse...not sure why. As soon as the aide grabbed the sheets, the patient hopped up in bed and literally punched the aide in the face. "Linda", thinking to stop her and possibly calm her down, grabs the patients arms and gets the shit pinched out of both her forearms. As if that werent enough, the patient somehow manages to kick Linda in the chest with her one leg. This somehow devloves into what I see when I walk in, Linda in a headlock and the patient pulling on her hair. I swear this is crazy sounding but true. Im pretty sure that this entire event was witnessed by the other nurse...why she didnt interfere IDK except for maybe she was trying not to get beat as well...if it were me, I wouldve been prying the patient off of "Linda".

Without giving too much away (HIPAA, blah), we checked some labs and tests on the patient and realized the patient had something going on that would result in an episode of severe confusion, which is what happened. I called the patients family and her daughters were mortified that such a thing occured and apologized profusely once they arrived.

The aide was ok afterwards. Shes an elderly-ish person ( i believe shes almost 60) but the story was just so bizarre that everyone that heard it couldnt help but laugh in bewilderment. Linda was laughing too, so its not like we were making fun of her but just wow. We have people get frisky from time to time but that headlock was a first for me. Needless to say I spent the rest of the night making sure was was oriented and nonviolent.

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    ..that I didnt know this forum existed ?!?! WHATT? When was this put here?
    ... bait ... to get you back.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
      WHATT? When was this put here?
      April

Comment

Let me guess: low sodium level?

Anyhow welcome back!

Sounds like whatever caused the patient to throw water at the nurse was escalated when Linda tried to change the bed.

Glad she's not hurt.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Dang, how can Linda NOT be hurt? Punched in the face, pinched to hell, kicked and then put in a headlock with her hair being pulled out. Holy crap. More power to those who can do that type of work.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Patient must have had something really...well, SOMETHING epic going on to be able to pull out matrix moves like a one-leg kick....What the human body can do, ehe?

I had a friend who was a nurse and as a young man had an elderly 90lb woman grab him as he tried to help her out of bed and bent him over backwards, breaking his spine in 3-places!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              Patient must have had something really...well, SOMETHING epic going on to be able to pull out matrix moves like a one-leg kick....What the human body can do, ehe?

I had a friend who was a nurse and as a young man had an elderly 90lb woman grab him as he tried to help her out of bed and bent him over backwards, breaking his spine in 3-places!
              Yeowch. I note you say WAS a nurse. I get the feeling that was a career ending injury

I had an elderly woman who didn't weigh much more than that break my foot by rolling a wheelchair over it. In truth, it wasn't her fault at all. She had dementia and rocked in her chair constantly. I wasn't paying attention to where I put my feet. Bam. One broken foot.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh, even better...guess what the response was from the manager (via email b/c she wasnt there) about what happened?

Nothing.

At least I bought Linda a cupcake. She was sore, but not technically injured despite getting a beat down.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  Yeowch. I note you say WAS a nurse. I get the feeling that was a career ending injury

I had an elderly woman who didn't weigh much more than that break my foot by rolling a wheelchair over it. In truth, it wasn't her fault at all. She had dementia and rocked in her chair constantly. I wasn't paying attention to where I put my feet. Bam. One broken foot.
                  Thats horrible! (both the spine and the foot).

Ive gotten smacked in the face before, but thats when the soft mitts went on and stayed on.

Comment

owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow

breaking a spine and a foot?

owowowowowwowowowowowow
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yeah, it hurt pretty bad. I figured it was just a bruise and toughed it out for the rest of the shift A couple of days later I couldn't stand it any more so I went to the doctor, who Xray'd it and told me I had a chip fracture on my 5th metatarsal (the long bone that attaches the pinky toe to the foot, or "blade" of the foot). He said if I'd been seen right away they'd probably have operated to remove the chip, but that now surgery would just make things worse and that it should heal in time.

It did, but it still gets a bit sore there from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                      X