Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How not to be a Sucky Patient (Long and Ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to be a Sucky Patient (Long and Ranty)

I've had a very frustrating weekend with hospice. Usually it's my co-irkers that give me the most grief, but occasionally the patients or their families give me an equal amount of grief.

It gave me pause for thought about some really simple things patients and/or their families can do when interacting with members of the health care system to avoid unnecessary drama and trauma.

Bear in mind, I do understand that there are instances of bad behavior among health care providers. We've talked about quite a few in other threads.

But this IS Customers Suck!, and so my focus is on the customer, rather than the service provider in this thread.

1. Have Realistic Expectations.

Understand folks . . . medicine is not an empirical science. There is a LOT about the human body and how it functions that we still don't completely understand.

It may take a lot of testing and evaluation for the doctor to figure out what it wrong with you. A lot of times, it is less an issue of crunching the numbers and more of an issue of the doctor's gut instinct and experience. It would help matters if you come to his office with a coherent description of what your symptoms actually are: what are they, when did they start, what makes them better, what makes them worse, how bad are they.

Don't expect your symptoms to get better if you ignore your doctor's instructions, or try to self medicate. I don't care what you've read on the Internet, you canNOT diagnose yourself better than a physician can!

A nurse is no substitute for a physician. We can sometimes give you a rough idea on what MIGHT be wrong, or help you interpret what he actually told you. We can give you sensible suggestions on symptom management outside of your medications, and some information on how to take meds safely. But we're nurses not doctors. Diagnosis and medical treatment is not what we do.

Nursing assistants and medical assistants are even worse people to ask for advice or information. They are technicians with no training in pathophysiology. But they will often act like they know more than they do, mostly because they observe a lot of things in their clinical settings. Some may seem quite knowledgeable. They still are not trustworthy to ask for diagnosis, treatment information, how to take meds, or how to care for an illness. No disrespect to the MAs I know who are here . . . but I must point out the limitations in scope of practice for safety reasons.

Pharmacists are PERFECT for asking questions about medications, and how to take them safely. I encourage patients to ask more questions of their pharmacist, and most LOVE to teach and interact with patients/customers (the ones I know do, anyway). But they are not substitutes for physicians. Don't try to use them to get out of seeing your doctor.

Your doctor really is doing his best to diagnose you. He's not incompetent just because you have a difficult diagnosis. Some patients never get a diagnosis . . . because medicine is not an empirical science.

Have Realistic Expectations, Part Deux

Understand that just because the doctor has recommended a course of treatment or written a prescription, that does not mean that your insurance company will authorize it. Saying, "but the doctor saaaaiiiid" will not change this fact. You may have to pay for some things out of pocket. Insurance is not an entitlement program.

Understand that even if your treatment/medication/equipment is covered by your insurance, does not mean that you will necessarily get it that day. Some medications are so expensive and so infrequently used, pharmacies don't stock them and have to order them. Medical equipment companies have limited supplies of things like tube feeding pumps and IV pumps. If they are all being used by other patients, they may have to scrounge from other cities they contract in to get one. These things take time. If your doctor thought you would die waiting, he wouldn't have sent you home. Please be patient, and don't rip the head off the poor triage nurse/medical company rep who is really, really trying to help you.

Understand the difference between being informed and being obnoxious

There are days when I absolutely hate the Internet.

Folks, please understand that both doctors and nurses are very well trained on common medical problems, their diagnosis, and treatment. We get it. We really do. You don't have to tell us Grandpa's heart will go crazy if he doesn't get his blood pressure medicine. We get it, and we're working on it as best we can. But we're not magicians and we can't be in 10 places at once. We have to organize and prioritize what we do, and if you are not #1 on our list it is because some other poor bastard is even sicker than Grandpa. Yes, we know you don't care about someone else's Grandpa. We do.

If you have some odd rare disease, then by all means bring the medical records with you. They are actually quite helpful. We will believe you when you tell us X, Y, and Z, especially when you tell us your kid is not acting right. We really do believe you. We know some other jerk didn't believe you, and bad things happened. We're human too, and sometimes make bad calls. But most of us will believe you . . . please don't bite our heads off cuz some poor idiot/jerk didn't. Give us a chance.

3. Please be patient.

We really are trying as hard as we can to get things done. Like I said, sometimes we have to set priorities. We use a simple rule: ABC's

Airway

Breathing

Circulation

If someone is not breathing well, I will attend to that need before I attend to your need for a snack, even if you are diabetic. You are not likely to go unconscious before I keep the guy with the breathing problem from croaking.

But I really do want to get you that snack, and I will do it as quick as I can.

4. Understand I am not perfect

I'm sorry I screwed up and forgot to get you that snack. I didn't do on purpose, or out of malice. I just got overwhelmed and forgot. I'm trying to make it right.

Please don't get upset if I don't get your IV on the first stick. I really am very good at this . . . but I am not perfect. Sometimes I miss. I'm not digging around because I am secretly a sadist. If it gets too bad, just say, "please stop." Don't scream, "Get out and get me someone competent!"

It's OK to ask nicely for another nurse after the 2nd unsuccessful stick . . . or even the first if you are a hard stick. It is also OK to tell us what works for you. Preface it, "It usually works best when the nurses do XYZ," rather than, "You people can never get it right, you better get it on one try.:

Please listen

We are happy to answer your questions, and tell you everything you need to know. But please let us get a word in edgewise. When you interrupt and go on and on about something we have no control over, you make it that much harder for us to do the real job of helping you.

Please give us complete information . . . but keep it on topic

We really do need to know about all the medications you take: dose, times, last dose, any problems it causes you. We don't need to know about how these medication affected Great Aunt Ginny. We're not treating her. Likewise, I don't need to talk about your toe jam if you are complaining about chest pain.

I'm sure my colleagues will come up with a few to add. This is enough to get me started for tonight.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

(if you need/want it)
    When I trot out stuff I learned on the internet (or from a book) I usually/almost always preface it with "XYZ site said ABC, is that right? It seems to be when hrglglblelrfy is the case..."
    I have also bookmarked this for future reference.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Being sick is no excuse to be rude! When will some people learn that being polite, patient and concise means that medical staff can assist them quicker, easier and much, much better?

I have been glared at by annoyed phlebotomists and nurses when it comes to blood draws as I tend to very politely ask for a 23 gauge needle with a butterfly. I'm a hard stick even when I've been hydrating in anticipation and the only decent vein for tests is very good at hiding. I've have had blown veins several times as well as nurses/phlebotomists say "Huh...why aren't I getting anything. Ooops, that's a tendon! Let me try that again."

I love my doctor. I go in, get the social niceties out of the way and then tell him what I think is wrong and why (symptoms x days). He checks and confirms then explains treatment and gives a script if necessary. In and out again in 10 minutes, with no fuss. The couple of times that I haven't known what was wrong, he's explained it throughly and what I should look for in future. Our family doc and our backup doc (and our dentist) have said we're the best patients they see.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

If the doctor asks you to keep a food diary/sleep diary/exercise diary/mood diary, it's not because he's a sadist: it actually helps him to know these things.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I usually forget, or don't have the (meager) willpower for upkeep on those poor things.
          As well as a lot of other stuff in my life.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Second opinions are good, especially for serious or very specialized issues. However, if you've gotten multiple opinions on your disease, please don't use that as a weapon. Don't say "My first doctor said I shouldn't do this" or "The other doctor I saw said that would kill me." Well, if you value their opinion so much, go see them instead.

When you are told to exercise more and make X changes to your diet, we aren't telling you because we tell that to everyone. We're telling you that to help keep you out of the hospital.

Please don't ignore problems until they become very bad. For example, don't ignore a cut on your foot that keeps getting worse for weeks, because eventually your toes will turn black and fall off and you'll almost die from overwhelming infection.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              When you are told to exercise more and make X changes to your diet, we aren't telling you because we tell that to everyone. We're telling you that to help keep you out of the hospital.
              The nurse/occupational therapist/other medical professional who's trying to help you find some sort of exercise you'll enjoy is actually doing it to help you. He/she does know how cruel the general public can be to people of unusual weight (both fat AND thin); but his/her motive is to get you to a healthy weight for your body - long term.

And the only way to do that long term is to find something you'll enjoy. And it doesn't matter if that's walking the dog, ultimate frisbee, or competitive orienteering.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                also just because the advice seems unrelated to your chief complaint, doesn't mean the medical professional is an idiot, they have likely read medical journals the explain in great detail why X helps some patients with Z.

I remember someone being upset because they thought their doctor was being a jerk when they said exercise would help migraines-it does actually help. Numerous studies have proven it.

when prescribed a new medication, actually read the information that comes with it, pay attention to side effects.

Don't demand medications for every illness, antibiotics will not help your cold or flu, and the side effects from them can make it harder for your body to fight the viruses.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Pharmacists are PERFECT for asking questions about medications, and how to take them safely. I encourage patients to ask more questions of their pharmacist, and most LOVE to teach and interact with patients/customers (the ones I know do, anyway). But they are not substitutes for physicians. Don't try to use them to get out of seeing your doctor.
                  This, this and more of this!!

We get so many people who will come to us for stuff that I would never come to a pharmacy for - genital warts, children vomiting for more then 5 days etc etc etc

Comment

Better that they go to a pharmacist and get told 'yes, you actually do need to see your doctor' than for them to try great-granny's recipe and put kerosene on the warts....

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      I remember someone being upset because they thought their doctor was being a jerk when they said exercise would help migraines-it does actually help. Numerous studies have proven it.
                      I'll testify to that. My migraines have virtually disappeared since I started working out. I haven't taken a 'triptan in at least six months, whereas beforehand I was taking about 6-9 tablets over the course of 30 days.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Better that they go to a pharmacist and get told 'yes, you actually do need to see your doctor' than for them to try great-granny's recipe and put kerosene on the warts....
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Details ................. stat!!
                        Last edited by Just Ace; 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Quoth Just Ace View Post

The kerosene ain't bad... until they light it.

(My great uncle Kem was treated with kerosene circa 1916 - for sticking his tongue to a steel wagon tire, trying to lick off the frost.)
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If I say you need to be placed into a cervical collar and boarded then you need to be. Yes it's uncomfortable, yes it's disorientating, yes it's scary; but trust me when I tell you it's for your own good.

Likewise, when I'm trying to calm down a scared 17 y/o kid who's being boarded for the first time in his life then as his father I expect you to not lean over him, point your finger 3 inches from his face and yell CALM THE F**K DOWN, this will not get him to keep calm and will only cause him to fidget. Please also bear in mind that I'm holding his head in my hands and I need to keep him still - continuing in the above fashion does not keep him still.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Just Ace View Post
                              Sorry, it was just a random 'home remedy' that I made up. I've seen/heard of ones just as ridiculous, however.

Oh, and my mother used to treat my mouth ulcers by having me put salt on them. Yes, seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X