This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get it Together

Got this one second hand from another tech. Actually, two techs, but I'll get to that.

This morning at the bright early hour of 7am, C and I hit the ground running. Then the ER called about a lung scan that didn't get done last night and gave C a really hard time since she was the unfortunate soul who answered the phone.

Come to find out, the ER called C2 last night to do the scan but didn't bother to actually write an order. Legally, we cannot do a test without an order. I'm not even touching a patient without an order and neither is any tech I've ever talked to. I dunno what time the initial call was made, but at the ungodly hour of around 3am (which was at least a couple hours after C2 got there), there was still no order, so C2 gave up and went home to get some sleep before working all day today. We did the scan this morning when someone finally scribbled an order in the chart. Seriously, how hard is it to take two seconds to scribble down a "V" and a "Q" (V/Q is another name for lung scan) in the chart? We'll figure it out. Promise.

Story the second:
    Had a guy come in for a long boring test. No biggie, we do this test all the time. Couple problems, though. I go back to the hot lab for the tracer and we don't have one. A quick glance at the schedule reveals he's not even on for today. Closer inspection of the order shows he was supposed to come July 29th. He did. Only he was two hours late and there was no way to work him in. So his doctor's office apparently told him to come today. But nobody told us. Fortunately, we were able to work him in but he was not happy about the wait time for us to get the tracer from the pharmacy. Wouldn't have been an issue if someone somewhere had had their act together, now would it?
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Wow. You guys actually do V/Q scans at night? I'm impressed. Most places I've worked it's like pulling teeth to get one done after hours. Usually the night ER docs order a spiral CT of the chest instead, even though a V/Q scan is better for diagnosing a pulmonary embolism (PE), which is what I presume they were trying to rule out.

Don't blame you though: you don't want to be exposing a patient to radiation without a written order.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Actually, CT's PE protocol is the gold standard. Renal problems or contrast allergies are the only reasons we should be doing a V/Q instead of a CT. I hate doing V/Q's because docs can't order them properly. And patients always take the breathing tube out and I get a nice dose of radioactive aerosol. The patients also tend to be very obese and already have lung problems which makes the scan look crappy anyway.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
      X