Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well....that just came outta nowhere, didn't it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well....that just came outta nowhere, didn't it?

Not sure how many of you know this, but I did a sleep study a few weeks ago. The other day, I received a voicemail from the doctor saying that the results were in. I just got off the phone with him, and I'm honestly...pretty miffed, to be honest.

Not to toot my own horn, but my parents are both in the medical field. I grew up hearing medical jargon of varying types, thus I'm pretty familiar with the lingo. This doctor, though, wasn't even speaking jargon. He was pretty clear on the fact that, before I got put on oxygen, I had 46 weird breathing events (pauses in breathing, shallow breathing, etc) per hour, 5 events per hour after the oxygen, that there were 9 pauses in my breathing over the course of the night....stuff like that. He was using very straightforward terms, and I was writing everything down anyway.

Thus, I have no idea where this statement came from. After he got done telling me the results, he says "And all of this probably just went in one ear and out the other, but..."

I think I just need to stop doing anything at this place that doesn't involve seeing my primary care doc.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Sounds like the doc might have been having one of those days. A lot of patients don't listen to a word the doc says and it gets annoying after awhile. Still no excuse to assume you would be like that and say it too your face (well over the phone, but you know what I mean ).
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post

Thus, I have no idea where this statement came from. After he got done telling me the results, he says "And all of this probably just went in one ear and out the other, but..."

I think I just need to stop doing anything at this place that doesn't involve seeing my primary care doc.
      What?! Oh no no no. That wouldn't jive with me. I'd be calling demanding to speak to whoever the head of his department is. Just because not all patients understand what's going, there's no call for that kind of statement.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I don't think the doc meant anything by he. He probably realized he was going on and on and possibly boring the patient who just wants the bottom line (which is true of most patients). He may have been taking a poke at himself, and didn't realize that the patient actually understood and wanted the information being given.

In short, I think this may have been a mis understanding.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I hope not, but owing to the number of times I've been talked down to and screamed at (yes, screamed; I must post that one) because the doctors feel that I don't understand them, I tend to find it a bit offhanded that something like that was said.

I may not understand, but I do ask questions. I know that's something a lot of doctors wish their patients would do more of. I've actually been told by my doctor that she wishes she had more patients like me (who ask a lot of questions).
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I'm with Panacea. I'd think the doctor meant "Sorry if I just bored you with a lot of medical jargon you don't care about." You weren't there so he can't tell that you were listening attentively and interested, not sighing and rolling your eyes and thinking "get on with it." Sounds like he gave you a very detailed report. This is more than some people can assimilate all at once.

Was his tone of voice condescending or impatient? If not, I'd say let it go.
            Women can do anything men can.
            But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
            Maxine

Comment

The first visit I had with the ENT who corrected my deviated septum included him asking me, "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a legal secretary."

"Good, then you should have an easier time understanding what I'm going to explain to you than my average patient."

Well, he was a great surgeon, did an awesome job, and having worked many years ago in a surgical group I mentally wrote it off.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
              X