This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical advice for my stepdad?

My mom is really worried about my stepdad.. I've already told her she needs to take him to a doctor but you practically have to knock him out with a frying pan and drag him to the ER to get him to go, so I'm hoping if we can get some rough idea what's wrong with him she can convince him he needs to go..

He's around 40, not overweight or under, good muscle tone, and when he was 19 he fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head, was in a coma for a week, and has sustained some "minor" brain damage, he cannot taste or smell, and he's partially deaf on his right side.

He is an appliance repair tech, out on calls from 8am to 6pm mon-fri.

The problems he's been having are semi-sudden (gradual over about a week or two) mood changes, from his normal easygoing self to a rage-filled anger-bomb waiting to blow, dizziness, memory loss/forgetfulness (he forgets how to spell basic words, he'll forget where he was going for his next call or what my mom just told him over the phone, a few times he's forgotten to eat all day to the point he came home in a hypoglycemic fit and went to the ER) slurred speech, loss of coordination (stumbling around, dropping things) basically he seems drunk out of his mind.. but he's not. These mostly happen when he's out and about during the day, but not on weekends/days off when he's out in the yard all day doing yard work and helping build the shed/porch with my granddad, though this may be because mom keeps him well hydrated, and he takes regular breaks to just sit and chat and calm down/cool off. He hates driving, so driving between the calls isn't much of a rest/relax time.

He is a recovering alcoholic (almost 2years sober), so mom can tell when he IS drunk and this is not it..

The suggestions put forth by my (admittedly hypochondriac) step-grandma (granddad's second wife, not stepdad's mom) are hypoglycemia, seizures, brain damage (like he fell and didn't tell someone or an appliance dropped on his head or something ) schizophrenia, or that he's on heroin.
    I honestly don't have a clue what to think other than to probably rule out extra brain damage (I think my mom would notice a new knot on his head, he keeps his hair super-short) and heroin (he has always been very very vocal on how incredibly stupid people who do anything more than alcohol and tobacco are)
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

I'd say hit him with the frying pan, take him to the doctor, and describe to the doctor what you've told us here (not your dad, you describe the symptoms). Some of those are indicators for fairly serious conditions, and your dad needs to be checked out sooner rather than later.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

As mentioned more than once in the rules of engagement, this forum is not the place for medical advice. Please make an appointment with the doctor.
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Call 911. Now. Faster.

You don't need permission. Just do it.
        Last edited by Dips; 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
        X