This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How DARE you question my nurse!

I mentioned in another thread that I had been screamed at by a doctor (well, physician assistant). Many years ago, when I first moved to Misery..er..Missouri, I was going through some issues that would eventually be resolved by the wonderful pill called Micronor.

During that time, I was taking different bc pills, and as the husband can tell you, I was a right bitch. How he managed to stick by me and not strangle me, I'll never know. I guess the sex must've been that good.

Anyway, I was seen by a physician assistant who, in looking at the situation in hindsight, had horrible bedside manners. See, what I didn't know was that when you're on triphastic pills, it makes your BP go up, so I had to be cleared by my doctor in order to get the script for the pills. The nurse at her office was trying to take my BP, but she was using a cuff that was too small for my arm. I needed a thigh cuff as my arm is big (I'm fat, I admit it). Well, she tried to tell me that the cuff was fine. I asked her if she was sure as she was hurting my arm. It got to the point where instead of a little redness, I actually developed bruises later, she had crushed my arm that much. Because she had the wrong cuff, when she got to the point where the cuff was constricting my arm, I let out a little yelp and said she was hurting me.

The nurse let out a sigh and tossed the bulb down and I thought I heard her say as she walked out "I can't take this shit anymore" and slammed the door.

Now bear in mind, in addition to taking several different bc pills over a span of at least 4 or 5 months, the hormones swirling around my body made me very emotional. As in, if you looked at me wrong, I'd either burst into tears or rip you a new ass. It got that bad, nevermind how I was when it got to that time of the month.

A few minutes later, the PA came in and started talking about the pills, how they were affecting my moods and whatnot. It was about that time I started noticing the bruising. She asked what happened and I told her, saying "I don't think she knew what she was doing."

Well, you would have thought I'd told her that her child was ugly or something. She bristled, giving me a dirty look and set my chart down with a smack on the table that made me jump.

PA: You will not say that about my nurses. My nurses are good nurses! How dare you question her abilities!

On and on, she went, getting louder and louder until another nurse came in to tell her that they could hear her in the waiting area.

PA: I don't give a crap if they can hear me. You nurses are good and if she can't appreciate it, then she can go find someone to give her the pills she wants!

With that, she took my file and left. I sat there stunned. It took a moment to realize I'd been yelled at and I promptly burst into tears. The nurse that came in tried to calm me down, but I was so upset that it was impossible.

Ten minutes later, the nurse had convinced the PA to at least give me the script so I could leave.

I called the clinic the next day and told them how horrible she was and that I was never coming back again, don't call me for a follow up visit, because I won't be coming. The receptionist told me she was sorry for what happened and that the PA apparently lost a few patients that way. From then on, I went to Planned Parenthood until I found a good OB/GYN to take care of me.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Why didn't you call her boss & report her? What she did was wrong. The receptionist telling you that the PA lost a few patients that way should have raised a red flag to somebody.

Comment

I am with you on that some BC I tried including the one they give by injection made me one hell of a moody bitch and like you I would either burst into tears or rip a person a new one for looking at me wrong, I have no idea how Mr. Mis didn't just strangle me and call it justified homicide, he just asked me to stop taking the pills or injections because I'm moody enough without adding to it. However, you know what men say about us crazy broads and sex.

Now on to the nurse and PA. I would lodge a complaint and make sure to follow up on that complaint. You do NOT deserve to be treated in that fashion! How dare they?!? Please do not just let it go, they all deserve to be reprimanded and have it on their file!
      Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I get sticking up for your employees/people working for/under you, but to do so blindly, is silly. If someone complains, you look into it and then take sides, not take sides blindly.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

PA was completely unprofessional.

PA's work on a medical doctor's license. You can complain to him, or you can report him to the Medical Board, which supervises PA practice.

The nurse was also wrong. If she was actually a nurse, she should know that you have to use the right size of cuff to get an accurate blood pressure, and that using the wrong size cuff is bad news.

She may have been a medical assistant (nurses are getting fewer and further between in doctor's offices). They should know this too, but many don't for some reason.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I did complain to the clinic and yes, I should have taken it up further, but I was young at the time. It's not an excuse, I know, but at the time I was already reeling from a divorce, so this was one of the last things I wanted to deal with.

I've also been told that the hospital the clinic was affiliated with has a rep for being a not so good hospital. The joke is you only go there if you want to die.

I still cringe a little when I get my BP done, even though it's been nearly 10 years since the incident.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I would've reported that PA to the boss or the office manager at the very least. That was uncalled for and unprofessional what he said to you and the nurse that took your blood pressure was rude too.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My doctor has cut back to only working mornings, and has two PAs. One is awesome; the other is a right bitch: condescending as all hell.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                X