This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for letting me know!

This is where I am the patient. I am 90% sure it's because my doctor's office has grown in the past few years. She's added 2 nurse practitioners to her practice and I occasionally see them. In fact, I see them more than I see my doctor now. I've never had any issues before.

Well, first issue is from back in June when I had lab work done for diabetes. They never called me and I called them 3 weeks later. They told me the result and read off the reference range. I really don't remember what test I had done, just that she wanted it done along with other endocrine tests.

A week later, the office staff calls and she wants me to have an appointment with them. I see the NP and the NP pulls up the lab work. She is like, "why are you here?" So it turns out it is normal but on the higher end of normal but lower than what it was last year. I personally think the parent company may be pushing the doctors to have face-to-face talks with patients who have diabetes testing instead of just telling them their results over the phone. So I freaked out over nothing and shelled out 20 dollars for nothing.

The latest thing is that I went in for 3 different things. Some more lab work, a PPD since an Occuhealth facility lost my damn paperwork, and a few other things. I made it clear when I made the appointment I was coming in for all those things and confirmed it on check-in.

Well, the MA forgot to mark down that I had a PPD so when I showed up 3 days later, I wasn't in the system. Then the MA who read the PPD forgot to chart it so I almost had to shell out another 20 dollars for a 2nd round of PPD. They accepted the script pad as evidence that I had it read correctly.

The second issue is that I had to call for my lab work and it came back abnormal. If I hadn't called, I wouldn't have known that it was abnormal. I called 3 weeks after it was sent and they were shocked I hadn't been called.

I am just mixed. I really don't have a lot of options with doctors, but I also very concerned about the failure to chart. They were a nice doctor's office and I'll probably give them another chance since they have all my records since I was about 12. I'll probably change doctors in a few years after I graduate from school.

I'd complain to the office manager/head nurse/your actual doctor/somebody other than the regular nurses/staff/PAs. I'm sorry, but these mistakes are pretty alarming when taken together and with something like diabetes you don't want to mess around. If you give them another chance and they mess up somewhere again, leave. I was at a doctor's office and had a nurse practitioner that I liked very much. After he left, the care I received went to hell. It took me getting livid as hell before I bothered to switch. Now I look back and wonder why I waited so long.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If you are worried about diabetes, you can get a glucometer and test strips without a prescription - it is just moderately expensive. However, if doing a fasting finger stick once every couple of weeks would help you feel better, give it a shot. You might be able to head over to one of the glucometer manufacturer websites and fill in the request for a freebie glucometer, I picked up a spare that way once. I decided against the brand, but in a pinch I can borrow someone elses test strips if they have that brand meter.

Quick and dirty, do a finger stick right when you wake up, have a basic breakfast [egg mcdeath works just fine, or a bowl of cereal] then do a finger stick 1 hour later. You should be 80 - 100 fasting, and 140 - 180 1 hour after eating roughly.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The first time when I had a huge range of endocrine tests done (2010), the doctor made a really, really big deal out of it but she also knows my mom's history. My mom had uncontrolled diabetes for a few years. The other NP looked at my numbers that time and wasn't concerned about my levels. The doctor never actually told me what my number was that time around.

I also get a blood glucose testing done when we do a ton of lab work for firefighting. It came back at 80 on an 8 hour fast. I am not really concerned with my blood sugar. They don't have access to those records since it was through a hospital that was just recently absorbed into the big system. That system didn't mark down I had my ppd though so I am pissed at them. That's why I had to have my ppd done in November.

Comment

Working...
        X