Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein the Senator gets involved . . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein the Senator gets involved . . . .

Thought I'd share a war story from my days as a correctional nurse.

My first corrections job was in a large county jail. I worked 3-11 shift. When I came on duty, one of my first tasks was to pick up health screening forms from the booking officer in booking. This was just a questionnaire, but it gave me a basis for asking more detailed questions when I did the official health intake that evening. We did the health intakes in the evenings because these guys had either already been to court or were arrested after court and were unlikely to make bail before the next day. State law was we had 24 hours to get these done, so we did them in the evenings.

If they didn't bail out, they'd see a PA within 7 days for a full physical.

When I did the health screening, I'd get a set of vital signs, height, weight, do a TB skin test (PPD), and ask about any health problems they had, including getting a list of medications. If the inmate had a serious or chronic health problem that needed meds, I'd put them down for doctor's sick call the next morning so the doc could write the necessary orders. If I didn't think he should wait that long, I'd call and get a phone order.

We had a lot of diabetics. Most were on oral tablets, and would get a diabetic dinner tray. If they were on insulin, they would get a snack in the evenings. I drew up their insulin for the next day every evening, and put it in a refrigerator in the master control pod so the medication aides (CO's who moonlighted for Medical passing meds) could get to them. The inmates had to sign for their medications, no matter what they were, so we could keep track of whether or not they were compliant. Inmates were not allowed to keep meds in their cells at this jail (other jails have different rules).

I started getting some phone calls transferred to me from some woman who claimed to be the girlfriend of one of our Immigration detainees (our jail had a contract with the INS to house illegals). I explained to her over and over that I could not discuss his medical issues with her over the phone (he was an insulin dependent diabetic) because of privacy laws (HIPAA), but that any medication the doctor ordered he would get. I also told her if the inmate had a question or concern, he could submit a request to the Medical Department to see either the doctor or nurse, and that I made daily rounds on the blocks where he could ask me any question related to his medical needs and I would talk to him without charge (inmates paid $4 to see the doctor or nurse for sick call unless we initiated the visit). He had never done either of these things, btw.

It got to a head one evening when I was up in booking chatting with the booking sergeant. We were friends, and if things were slow in Medical I'd hang out there and chit chat with the officers and the cops. The phone rings, and the sergeant hands me the phone.

Me: Hello?
    Female1 (F1): Yes, is this the nurse?
    Me: Yes, how can I help you?
    F1: I'm Ms. Blahdyblah with Senator Big Time (and she was and is still a very big wig in the US Senate) office. I've received a complaint from one of her constituents that Mr. Inmate is not receiving proper medical care at your jail, specifically that he is not being given his insulin.
    Me: Well, ma'am, I can't discuss the particulars of any inmates medical care over the phone. However, I can assure you that all diabetics in this jail are followed by the jail physician who orders the appropriate medical treatment for their diabetes, including insulin if so indicated, and that those inmates do indeed get both their medications and an appropriate diet tray order to meet their caloric needs.
    F1: Yes, but are you giving Mr. Inmate his insulin?
    Me: Ma'am I can't discuss his medical care with you. He hasn't given me permission to do so.
    F1: The Senator is very concerned that a resident of her state is not receiving the proper medical care.
    Me: Ma'am, if he has been ordered medication from the physician then he gets it. But I can't discuss the particulars.

This is when the GF starts screaming into the phone, "BULLSHIT!!!!eleventy!! You're not giving him his insulin or his snack, you people are shit!"

Here's where I get really mad Ms. Blahdyblah didn't bother to tell me that this was a conference call. I had no idea GF was on the line until her outburst.

Me: Ms. Blahdyblah, I am going to end this conversation. This woman is not a relative of Mr. Inmate, and I cannot discuss the particulars of his health care with you, her, or anyone else over the phone. I'm also going to report this call to my superiors. I don't appreciate this little stunt of yours. *click!*

I did report it to the doctor and the major (Head of Security) but never heard any more about it after that.

Boy was I pissed, though.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

That took some serious guts to do that. Good to sticking to your guns.

Comment

I wasn't entirely convinced I was actually speaking to someone from the Senator's office. She seemed legit, and talked like what I would expect a politicians assistant would talk. But I couldn't be sure, which is why I took the better part of valor and stuck to HIPAA.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

'so MS. Senator's Assistant, what you are saying, is that the Senator wants us to break the law? Is that correct? my the media would be sooo interested in that wouldn't they? But I am sure I misheard you. '

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          I wasn't entirely convinced I was actually speaking to someone from the Senator's office. She seemed legit, and talked like what I would expect a politicians assistant would talk. But I couldn't be sure, which is why I took the better part of valor and stuck to HIPAA.
          I think even with a Senator involved, from what I've heard, HIPAA laws are iron-clad correct? So even the SENATOR wouldn't have been able to get involved.

Although one question: why did a Senator get involved and not a Congressman? I was under the impression that the role of the Senate in the US was similar to Australia: just to provide checks and balances on the other areas of Government. (not trying to lead this into Fratching territory)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Might have been the State Senate, which since it's on a more local level would have someone willing to follow up with a staffer.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Although one question: why did a Senator get involved and not a Congressman?
              In the US, the Congress is split into two "houses" consisting of the House of Represenatives and the Senate. Originally the Senate was there to represent the state's interests, and prevent the federal government from running roughshod over the states. Senators were appointed by the state governments, not elected (unless that's how the states wanted to appoint them. That was changed later in a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a scandal, and now Senators are elected just like members of the House of Represenatives.

So a Senator is a Congressman, in the U.S., although most media will call Senators "Senator Muckity-Muck" and refer to Members of the House as "Congressman Wasteabuck". I can understand the confusion.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                I think even with a Senator involved, from what I've heard, HIPAA laws are iron-clad correct? So even the SENATOR wouldn't have been able to get involved.

Although one question: why did a Senator get involved and not a Congressman? I was under the impression that the role of the Senate in the US was similar to Australia: just to provide checks and balances on the other areas of Government. (not trying to lead this into Fratching territory)
                Yeah, HIPAA's pretty ironclad. Senator or not, I could not legally discuss the information. But it was a new law at the time this happened (mid-90's) so pretty much all I knew was "I'm not allowed to discuss patient information with strangers," which really wasn't anything new from an ethical standpoint (ie, I didn't need HIPAA as a reason to clam up).

What Geek King said re Senate vs Congress. Our Congress is bi-cameral, meaning both Houses, or "Chambers" have to pass proposed legislation. We did this way because when we wrote the US Constitution, some folks wanted to base the number of legislators on population (which would favor heavily populated states like New York), and others a set number per state (which favored smaller states). We ended up going with both. The Senate gets two Senators per state. The House of Representatives (or "House") is apportioned by population. Senators serve six years, Represntatives, two. Senators have more power and prestige because of this.

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                Might have been the State Senate, which since it's on a more local level would have someone willing to follow up with a staffer.
                Nope, was the US Senate. I don't want to reveal her name (initials are B.M.) and she is actually a very powerful lady, but one held in high respect by most folks (she's fairly pragmatic, and has never been hit with any scandal that I know of).

When local folks have problems at the Federal level (and this inmate was a Federal Immigration Detainee, even though he was in a local county jail), they tend to call their US Congress reps rather than state or county reps because state and county folks have little influence over Federal procedures.

Evil Empryss got a LOT of help from Elizabeth Dole when she (EE) was having problems with her disability benefits through the VA. Dole was our Senator at the time (she lost her last election to Kay Hagan).

Teskeria: I would have LOVED to have made a statement like that. But threatening to involve the media would have cost me my job, so I'm glad I didn't try that little stunt. The warden was a hard ass, and he would have taken a dim view of such antics on my part . . . the man had NO sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                X