This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's wonderful.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Fabulous! Great news!

Here's to a quick and full recovery!
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yay!

Now make sure he keeps that arm in the sling until the good-physiotherapist tells him otherwise. <serious-face>

If there are any discharge papers giving information, instructions, etc, take them with you to an appt with your physio. I'd strongly recommend seeing the physio before doing any but the absolute gentlest of exercises.
        And by that I don't mean 'exercises with only the weight of the arm'. I mean 'exercises where you/physio/whoever is supporting the weight of the arm'.

If he's torn the ligaments that badly, you want professional supervision throughout the rehab process.

Disclaimer: naturally, whatever the physio says absolutely and totally trumps whatever I say! I'm not a physio, I know nothing about this specific injury other than what's in this thread, yadda yadda yadda.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ok, so it's just over 2 weeks since his op. The sling he's wearing is this:

http://http://www.supportsusa.com/do...es/ultras9.jpg

Due to his bodybuilding, his arms are kind of bulky, so his upper arm is pretty much stuck against his side.

GROSS WARNING

So that armpit STINKS. I can just get my hand under there to wash it, and I use a large syringe to rinse it, but it's damn near impossible to dry as he can't lift it. It's also summer here...Doc says he's probably gonna get a fungal infection, so he's got a cream for that, but it doesn't help with the stink or drying it out...I've also MacGuyvered a kind of workaround, where I take two panty liners, stick them together and we slide it under his arm. But it's not doing enough. Any ideas or solutions? ANY? Please?
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Let me ask ...

Is it that *he* can not lift his own arm due to pain, or it is medically forbidden for the arm to be moved at all [and if so why isn't it in a cast]

If it is the former, you can gently lift the arm for him and he can use his other hand to direct the water with a hand held shower at the pit while you gently wash it with your other hand. Just means tandem shower time. Conserve water, shower with a friend.

[I had a dislocated shoulder about 12 years back. I couldn't lift my arm myself for about a month, but the doc said as long as we were very careful and moved the arm only in the normal directions as minimal as needed to get to the pit to wash it we were ok. To dry off we sat me down with my arm propped so it was out a bit and after blotting it dry with towels, Rob aimed a blow dryer on low/cool into the area to dry it the rest of the way. Sort of jury-rigged but it worked.]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The aftercare instructions say he MUST keep his arm in a neutral position and for washing, he may not lift his arm. He can lean forward and let it hang to get to the pit, but once again, the big laterals and triceps get in the bloody way. I'm actually considering buying one of those hairdryers that has the cool setting, just to stick it under his arm and try and blowdry it!

Comment

Talk to a pharmacist.

There are continence-care grade creams which protect the skin from moisture (designed for urine & fecal moisture, but damned effective for sweat as well).

The one I use is called Cavilon, it's made by 3M and the active ingredient is dimethicone. It works brilliantly for me - even better than Bephanthen (a nappy-rash cream) which is what I used to use.

This is, of course, a preventative. To cure existing fungal rashes, you'll need to talk to a doctor. My educated-guess would be one of the broad spectrum antifungal creams, supplemented with a topical pain-relief ointment.

With all of these, of course, you'll need to sort of .. somehow slide a hand or an applicator spatula in there. Good luck!

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Talk to a pharmacist.

There are continence-care grade creams which protect the skin from moisture (designed for urine & fecal moisture, but damned effective for sweat as well).

The one I use is called Cavilon, it's made by 3M and the active ingredient is dimethicone. It works brilliantly for me - even better than Bephanthen (a nappy-rash cream) which is what I used to use.

This is, of course, a preventative. To cure existing fungal rashes, you'll need to talk to a doctor. My educated-guess would be one of the broad spectrum antifungal creams, supplemented with a topical pain-relief ointment.

With all of these, of course, you'll need to sort of .. somehow slide a hand or an applicator spatula in there. Good luck!
                  Nystatin or Lotrimin would probably be the prescription product. I'd use care, and ask a pharmacist about anything OTC. In a case like this using the wrong product is worse than doing nothing.

Don't use cornstarch or talcum power. They retain moisture and encourage fungal growth.

For an applicator, try using tongue depressors. They're long enough, and flat enough that they should work fine. You can get them by the box fairly cheaply at any medical supply place.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh gods no - no powders! As Panacea said, worse than nothing!

You def.. ahem. IANADoctor. However, I would strongly recommend, as an intertrigo patient, on a patient-to-patient basis (/end disclaimer) ....

Where was I? Oh yeah.

Skin-protective barrier creams are the best thing I've found to prevent fungal overgrowth in skin folds.

Treatment requires an antifungal: if it's difficult to get in there to use an anti-fungal cream, ask for a prescribed oral antifungal, and if needed, an oral painkiller.

I think you'll need to use a topical barrier cream, however. I don't think there's going to be a way to avoid that.

Comment

His doc prescribed Travocort for the fungal stuff. TTO says the pad does help somewhat and we do try and dry as well as we can after showering. I did get him Sudocream to help with the pressure sores he was getting on his shoulder (works like a charm!) but I don't think it will help with the armpit. We've got just over 3 weeks left (27 days left!) until the damn sling comes off, so I'm hoping the combo of panty liners, thorough washing, rinsing and the best drying we can do, plus the cream from the doc will help....and the second he can move that arm even 2 inches away from his side, I am in there with a towel!

Thanks guys

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        ....and the second he can move that arm even 2 inches away from his side, I am in there with a towel!
                        And a gas mask?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          and the second he can move that arm even 2 inches away from his side, I am in there with a trowel!
                          There, fixed that for ya.

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. There's nothing better than a good, long, thorough shower after being sick or injured, and I'm sure he can't wait for that day.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                          X