This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming and myopia

I'm a little unsure about posting this, because while it's not a "diagnose this" question, it's more of a long-term question. I don't exactly have a regular opthamologist I can see regarding this and I am not sure if my GP could answer the same question.

Basically I am short-sighted, however my prescription is somewhat high. And like boobs, one has a higher prescription than the other. I have been swimming twice a week when I can for about the past couple of months or so, I do not wear contacts and I do not have prescription goggles. However, I may be taking up a swimming teacher position soon which will require me to have my glasses off in 3-4 hour stretches.

So here's the question: what am I to expect when I take my glasses off for that long and should I be worried?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I'm not sure if this is an option for you but Jazzy's swim instructor always wears an older, but still correct prescription, set of glasses in the pool, as she doesn't normally need to go underwater. She has a handtowel and tissues on the side for when her glasses are splashed.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

You go for longer than that without your glasses on while you sleep... If you don't notice any issues then, you're unlikely to notice any other issues with this new regimen - outside the obvious "not seeing things clearly far away", of course.

As you're going to be responsible for the safety of others, it may be worth doing as Mishi suggests, or possibly getting prescription goggles if possible.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
        I'm not sure if this is an option for you but Jazzy's swim instructor always wears an older, but still correct prescription, set of glasses in the pool, as she doesn't normally need to go underwater. She has a handtowel and tissues on the side for when her glasses are splashed.
        That I can do and I'll mention that if I get called for the interview. I still have a spare pair and if I need to, I can pick up another pair cheap from specsavers for that purpose.

There was an option for me to get prescription goggles if possible, although if I do, I'd need to look at a pair that do not have coloured lenses.

I'll bring this up with them and we may be able to discuss something. Even if it involves me taking extra training.

ETA: Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          So here's the question: what am I to expect when I take my glasses off for that long and should I be worried?
          You can expect to be blind as a bat, but other than that, no problems.

If possible, you may want to look into getting contacts. I wear mine in the pool all the time and I've never had a problem with losing one. As long as you're not doing anything too rough in the water, either your glasses or contact lenses should be just fine.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            You can expect to be blind as a bat, but other than that, no problems.

If possible, you may want to look into getting contacts. I wear mine in the pool all the time and I've never had a problem with losing one. As long as you're not doing anything too rough in the water, either your glasses or contact lenses should be just fine.
            I will be doing training for the instructor certificate as well through the place if I'm successful. I'll mention it at the interview and I'll also give the EOD a buzz to ensure that they can't refuse to hire me based upon these grounds. (ETA-they can't refuse to a) hire me or b) take away special measures that prevent me from doing my job, however they CAN refuse the special measures if they are unreasonable-my only requirements would be that I need to keep my glasses on at all times and have a hand-towel around the pool)

Contacts for me are not an option as I rub at my eyes a LOT due to allergies.
            Last edited by fireheart; 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

You can expect to be blind as a bat...
              I.e.: Unable to see anything south of my upper lip is my situation.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My sister also needs glasses - her vision problems are worse than others in the family. When I went swimming with her a couple weeks ago, she wore her glasses, but then again she was only doing a bit of paddling in the shallow end with her sons - not a lot of splashing, no immersion, etc. You might get away with using rigid plastic-frame glasses with a string so you can drop them round your neck if you need to dive after a student - then just wipe with a towel. Since you're not in a lifeguard type position I don't see why it would be a problem.

Comment

I get the itchy eyes as well and still wear contacts. I find a good OTC antihistamine works wonders. The contacts themselves don't slide around as much as you'd think. They kinda "suction cup" themselves in place. I've only managed to dislodge them when I seem to be literally clawing my eyes out. Most times even crying doesn't result in losing them. I also have what my ophthalmologist calls "little grabby things" on the insides of my eyelids that get extra grabby when the allergies flare up. Still don't have too much of a problem with contacts. On bad days I need to blink a little more once the contacts are in to make sure they're in the right place, but that's about it. I don't know how it works in Aussieland (I seem to recall that's where you live), but in my area you can get a trial pair of contact lenses and if you don't like them, you can stick with glasses.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  I.e.: Unable to see anything south of my upper lip is my situation.
                  You can still see your upper lip? Lucky you!
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm also near sighted and I have been doing sports for a while where I can't wear my glasses (I wear a helmet with no room for my glasses). The only real problem I have run across is occasional eye strain from trying to make out things a good distance from me.

Comment

I get the itchy eyes as well and still wear contacts. I find a good OTC antihistamine works wonders. The contacts themselves don't slide around as much as you'd think. They kinda "suction cup" themselves in place. I've only managed to dislodge them when I seem to be literally clawing my eyes out. Most times even crying doesn't result in losing them. I also have what my ophthalmologist calls "little grabby things" on the insides of my eyelids that get extra grabby when the allergies flare up. Still don't have too much of a problem with contacts. On bad days I need to blink a little more once the contacts are in to make sure they're in the right place, but that's about it. I don't know how it works in Aussieland (I seem to recall that's where you live), but in my area you can get a trial pair of contact lenses and if you don't like them, you can stick with glasses.
                      Exactly what I was going to say! I'm having problems with itchy eyes right now, actually. Yeah, in January. Of course we have a storm backing in here and who know what it's stirring up in front of it.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Exactly what I was going to say! I'm having problems with itchy eyes right now, actually. Yeah, in January. Of course we have a storm backing in here and who know what it's stirring up in front of it.
                        In my case, I'm one of the unlucky folk who get hayfever-like symptoms all year round.

Mishi's idea sounds about the most doable. The school has two pools: an area for the babies classes and an area for the other lessons. (it's quite adorable actually-the baby pool is designed to be stimulating and has some cute little implements in place of the traditional toddler pool, which is about 2 inches deep with absolutely nothing in it) It is ONLY a swim school, no leisure swimming, so I wouldn't need to act as lifeguard. The pool also has what are known as Deck Supervisors, who conduct assessments and act as liaisons between parents and instructors, so while the risk for safety is not completely gone, I at least have backup.
                        Last edited by fireheart; 01-10-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I'm more or less blind without my glasses, and if i need to be without them for more than an hour and still try to see anything will lead to a rather massive headache, but that's just me, however unless you have trouble with headaches when you go for long periods without glasses then you shouldn't have any trouble.
                          Good Luck anyway.
                          (also, i hate typing on laptops )

Comment

I've never done this, as I don't need to wear my glasses outside the classroom, but you could put some RainX on the lenses of an old pair of glasses so you'll still have decent sight when you get splashed until you can get to a towel to dry them off.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, you will not do your eyes any lasting damage by not wearing your glasses.

You might stress the muscles that control your lenses (ie, the natural lens in the eye), in which case you will need to exercise them in a controlled manner to make them capable of handling being glasses-less for the length of time you want to be.

If you do stress those muscles, you'll get eye-based headaches, or a 'muscle soreness' feeling in or around the eye. Odd that.

To exercise the muscles, take your glasses off and look at nearby things, then distant things, and back. Or nearby, middle distance, far distance, and then reverse the sequence.

To the best of my knowledge, having or not having glasses doesn't affect the lens at all; only the muscles that tighten and loosen the lens. The glasses make it possible for those muscles to actually shape the lens such that the image focusses on the retina.
                              So taking the glasses off is going to have the muscles struggling to do the impossible, until the brain gives up and just settles for an unfocussed image.

Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, the worst likely scenario is headaches.

NOTE: This is to the limits of my knowledge, which is layman's knowledge. I DO recommend talking to a doctor or an optometrist. An optometrist is going to have the knowledge to answer that question; and if you're due for a check, you may as well drop in.

(Note to non-Aussies: as long as we don't go /too/ frequently, optometry checks are free in Aussieland. The glasses aren't, but the checks are.)
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X